Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Killing my back
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2011 AI is killing my lower back.
Is the Vantage seat help with lower back?
Anyone has lower back issue before and it helps when you upgrade to the new seat ?
Seriously, weight of the new AI is a lot heavier, if the new seat won't help, it is worse to upgrade.

Post subject: Re: Killing my back
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vantage seat is 1000% improvement, biggest advantage is the range of adjustments.

Dont know about 2011 model but I used a cheap mesh lumbar support (as used for chairs) on my early model 2006 adventure seat. Went from chronic pain to none

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No need for a new AI. Just get an Attwood to replace your Hobie seat. I've used both the Vantage and Attwood. The Attwood is superior in comfort, perfect for the older islands.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=51955&hilit=attwood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tech I also have a 2011 AI and since the Hobie seat for that model has a very bad locking system (pegs) improved in 2012 i decided to build a wooden "seatback". unfortunately in Europe I cannot easily buy an Attwood seat otherwise i should have followed CR Yaker suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, people who have the Attwood seat seem to love it. I have the original seat, and, knock on wood, have no problems with it. I and my wife do use the Hobie inflatable seat pad "i-Comfort" with the original seats--love it. It all may be tested this year (next really) when I do (plan to do) the Everglades Challenge which requires 40-60 mile days.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For me, the largest issue/fix is having a hard supportive back rest.

A simple solution that I use when in hull mode only is one portion of a "bass" boat seat. I took apart a standard boat seat and place one half in-between the AKAs and seat. (either section should work). In addition, I added roughly 1.5" foam under my bottom. Works like a charm.

Second solution for when I am out with Amas is the Jackson Elite Seat mod. Jackson had their elite seats on sale for $65 a while back. Not as comfy as the Attwood or new hobie seats, but works well!

Feel free to PM me for pics.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys know stuff that I am not aware of. Thank you.
I looked at Atwood chair, it won't work for my case. I use pedal a lot and need to lean back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tech
Unfortunately i suffer from lower back problems and over the years the seat in a kayak has always been a number one consideration.
I was pleased to see the upgrade to the advantage seat and purchased a new 2016 TI this year. No problem being out in the TI for 6 or 7 hours. It has plenty of adjustment, seat height front and back, lumbar support, and tilting back rest.
Of cousre everyones back problems are different. Could you try one out for a few hours before you invest.

Pottsy

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tech, you can build all sorts of creative back supports using PVC that deploys in the fishing rod holders if your a do it yourself guy. Make it for YOUR perfect reclining angle. Add 2 rubber type 4 floation devices to it and you can be as comfortable as anything you could ever imagine. Mine feels like a lazy-boy recliner on the water. Even when my back flairs up I know I can sail and dont worry about aggravating it. Just another option, but a good one!

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you never use it in single hull mode you have more options as raising COG is not as big an issue, and opens up the options for various styles of skipper seats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would recommend trying one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-use-Lumbar-Support-Cushion-BDK/dp/B00HXPO4FC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476940808&sr=8-3&keywords=mesh+lumbar+support

I was having some back problems a few years back, and this thing made a huge difference. So much so I still use it even after the back has healed. I did a 26-mile 7.5-hour kayak trip using it last summer: not even a hint of any back discomfort.

It's super-cheap and fits in with the existing seat, so hard to go wrong trying it. Also the mesh back with air flow prevents your back from getting sweaty in hot weather.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I first got my TI in 2012, I bought a skipper seat at the same time, and immediately fitted it.
As I do not intend to use my TI in kayak mode, I simply mounted the seat on a piece of marine plywood leaning on the gunwhales (with supports in the middle beneath the seat).

I can sit comfortably in that seat all day.

I should add that I had a spinal fusion (L4-5 and S1) 20 years ago, and am due for another (L2-3 to the existing fusion) AFTER I have spacers added front and back of C1 to 7 in my neck scheduled for next January.

Turning 71 in a few days, I reckon my endorsement of the skipper seat is pretty dependable.

Almost any marine chandler will sell a range of these seats.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

recycle wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-use-Lumbar-Support-Cushion-BDK/dp/B00HXPO4FC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476940808&sr=8-3&keywords=mesh+lumbar+support

I was having some back problems a few years back, and this thing made a huge difference. So much so I still use it even after the back has healed. I did a 26-mile 7.5-hour kayak trip using it last summer: not even a hint of any back discomfort.

It's super-cheap and fits in with the existing seat, so hard to go wrong trying it. Also the mesh back with air flow prevents your back from getting sweaty in hot weather.

x2 on this particularly if you have early model wider seat, best value mod you can do. Hours of comfort for $4 or so from local asian gift shop. Mine was permanently strapped onto my 2006 seat. Never came loose or straps broke. Just removed seat leaving it attached to seat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you don't mind playing tinker-toys with some PVC pipe you could do what I did for my Outback. I was going to do the same for an AI/TI but fortunately the new seat came out before I bought mine.

http://n5usr.net/kayaking/outbackSeat.html

I nearly returned my Outback because I couldn't sit in the original Hobie seat for more than a few minutes before the pain started. Put together a PVC frame that sits behind the seat, bought a Skwoosh high-back seat, and now have a wonderful floating recliner... :lol: Has the perfect angle for pedaling too, I made it the same as my recumbent bicycle.

It does compromise the storage capacity of the area behind the seat, can't put a large bulky item there, but I usually have things in several smaller dry bags and they fit around / inside the frame just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

recycle wrote:

X3 on the mesh lumbar support seat back! I've been using this for the last 2 years & left it attached the whole time. I usually fish 4-8hrs at a time & this seat back has alleviated my back pain. It attaches easily to the existing seat, adds minimal weight, is very durable & still allows me to easily enter, exit & pivot. It does not change my center of gravity, so I'm still very stable. I've added the seat back to all my other kayaks & highly recommend it.