Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Cart Should I buy?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In peoples experience, which cart is better for the Tandem Island? The Heavy Duty Cart or the Trax 2 cart? Most of the launch points are either paved, or gravel and dirt. Very rarely will be a sand beach.

Thanks
Joe

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the Tandem Island - we recommend the dolly, not a plug-in cart.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, now where would I put it on the boat for 2 people going down a river and having to portage in certain places in single hull configuration?

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the search button is your friend, we just discussed this recently.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59290&hilit=hobie+cart+tandem+island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A fully loaded TI is a very heavy boat no matter which cart you have. Too heavy for me to transport any distance with everything mounted. We car top about half the time (when towing our camper, and traveling cross country) and use our trailer the rest of the time (mostly locally, we live near the ocean).
We are long time kayakers and prefer tandem kayaks. We owned an Oasis for a long time previous to buying our first TI in the spring of 2010. We have a couple hundred thousand road miles with kayaks on our roof.
Actually there is very little difference in weight between the TI hull and our old Oasis, (not enough to notice), and the TI being slightly longer actually makes the TI hull much easier to load on our roof than our Oasis ever was. We often have to roll the kayak down long trails and thru campgrounds to get to the water. The TI kayak is no more difficult to roll around and down trails than our Oasis was. We have both an HD cart, and a Trax 2 cart (mostly for deep soft sand). 95%of the time we are using the HD cart for several reasons.
The kayak pulls much easier with the HD cart.
The grey tires are very high maint, and we have cut several with sea shells and had to replace several tires now.
We typicall load/unload the wheels in waist deep water, the grey air filled tires float too much and are very difficult to get into the scupper holes.
There is no place we have ever been where we could just leave the cart on shore, we have to carry the cart in the boat. The HD cart we just flip upside down and drop into the rear scupper holes on the rear deck out of the way,(simple and easy). The trax 2 cart is much larger.
Of course which ever cart you get, you need to add the special TI platform (see catalog).

We always transport the AMA's separately, one in each hand, then install them at the water.
We didn't get the cradle because I have no place to store it on the boat, and would never just leave it on the shore, and would be pretty peaved if I had to walk it a half mile back to my campsite.
Just our opinion, everyone has different needs.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

joescrambled wrote:
Ok, now where would I put it on the boat for 2 people going down a river and having to portage in certain places in single hull configuration?

(lateral thinking :lol:) Strap it lengthways upside down on the bow (wheels inside the front hatch)? It wouldn't matter if it protruded past the bow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The HD cart handles anything but sand. It has (or did have) a tube axle rather than a solid axle and is too narrow to add balloon wheels later.
The Trax2 or 2/30 has a solid bar axle. The HD wheels can be adapted to fit, so if you wanted one cart for all conditions either Trax would do.
Though I used to use scupper carts with the TI, I now solely use a dolly cart for its ease of fitting/removal.
The C-tug is my main cart these days. It is light and strong and handles a rigged TI ok. It would not handle a camping trip loaded TI though. You would be better of with two C-tugs. The C-tug dismantles easily for stowage inside the hull.
Adding the Hobie cradle helps stop hull deformation:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=46391

You can also convert a scupper cart to a dolly cart for true versatility:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=52782

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy is correct, I forgot to mention that if you plan on getting both the HD cart and a trax 2 cart, a very good alternative would be to buy the trax 2 cart, then purchase the HD foam tires seperately then fit them to the stronger trax2 cart.
Everyone is correct when they say hauling around a fully loaded down TI for expedition is a daunting task (the boat holds one heck of a lot of gear), it's pretty impressive what these everglades guys do (there is no fresh water in the everglades, and it's one of the most hostile and remote areas left on earth).
We are day sailers only so our needs are different. Actually we have an inflatable dingy that we tow behind our TI when we have a lot of equipment (mostly scuba tanks, scuba gear, and big coolers for food/water, and catch (we do spear and lobster fish). Sailing a severely overloaded TI is not a fun experience , (this is why we have the inflatable).
We of course prefer our trailer whenever possible, which makes life easier, most trailers are very lightweight, and can easily be easily disconnected from the car and can be used as a launch cart (that's what we do when we need to). I see others do that at the launch we frequent.
If I was planning on getting a Hobie launch cart, I would be looking at the one with the biggest wheels.
Just more options, only you can decide what will fit your lifestyle, the sky is the limit as to what you can use the most versatile boat on the planet for, limited only by your imagination.
In our case we got rid of our Searay powerboat, and all of our other kayaks, our only family boat is our TI, and we use ours for everything we ever dreamed of.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the HD cart with cradle accessory almost exclusively due to the need to take it along when I go solo. The 26cm Wheeleez tires tend to flatten a bit (despite being rated at 150 Lbs each ) under the weight of my TI loaded for a day sail and this doesn't make them roll any easier. Last year Wheeleez had a run of these tires that were defective and flattened about 30% under load. ( See my post with pictures about this ) I got a pair of the defective tires on my first HD cart, got a replacement from Austin kayak with the same issue and finally had to deal with Wheeleez directly to get a good set of tires. ( resisting the urge to rant about this :) )

The HD cart has a 1/2" axle and it is possible to put 1/2" ID hubs in a 38cm Tuff Tire. I have a 2" pvc spacer below the height adjusting colars on my HD cart. This exposes enough of the scupper pins when the cart is installed and gets the boat up a little higher. I'm going to order a pair of the 1/2" hubs and try using the 38cm wheels I already own on the HD cart. I already can say that it will roll much easier because I have recently experimented with an all pvc cart using these tires and it rolled beautifully ( see my post about this ). Larger tires will also roll over obstacles much easier.
It appears that there is adequate clearance below the short cradle to install the 38 cm tires. The downside is that the tires are twice the weight of the 26 cm ones but for my use that isn't an issue.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After struggling with a trolley at the boat ramp a few times trying to get the TI on or off the trolley or getting the trolley on or off the TI I finally added DIY attached fold up/down wheels to both ends (front one a caster and two back ones).
They also help with car topping the TI by providing a pivot point near the back for lifting the nose onto the car racks. Now I can move the fully rigged TI around easily on land.
Haven't tried sand yet though.

Would attach photos but doesn't seem to be possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying again.

See

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=59743

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
...Everyone is correct when they say hauling around a fully loaded down TI for expedition is a daunting task (the boat holds one heck of a lot of gear), it's pretty impressive what these everglades guys do (there is no fresh water in the everglades, and it's one of the most hostile and remote areas left on earth).
...FE

That is quite a compliment coming from Fusioneng. Thank you FE!

We "everglades guys" do haul all our own water. We will be doing an 8-day trip starting this Sunday. Once we launch, we do not have access to fresh water other than what we carry. At the same time, we do not use carts. The best thing since sliced bread for us is Marty's rollers. They are discussed twice on this page: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=840

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Im thinking about trying the boonedox landing cart on my TI. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Id like to attach either 4" or 8" gear track with full backing plates behind the rear crossbars. I would then attach the landing gear to the tracks so that it would be removable. (I have to check the landing gear to see if 4" is enough)

I realize the main drawback would be that the AMAS couldn't be folded all of the way back, however if I folded the AMAS toward the front, they could...

Its just getting to cumbersome to position my dolly cart far enough under the hull and tired of the walk to my car overtime to go get it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As far as Hobie carts. I have both the Beach dolly and the Trax 2-30 wheelcart. I use both depending on where I am launching from.

Island Beach Wheel Dolly
Positives:
- Supports the whole TI, Hull and both outriggers
- can carry a fully loaded TI
- No locator holes, can be loaded and unloaded with 1 person
- is possible to be wheeled by 1 person

Negatives:
- Is massively wide with beach tyres. So much so that you need to consider access to your launch area, the width of the path and any potential obstacles.
- Takes up a lot of space when transporting and would take up a lot of space on the boat
- Expensive

Trax 2-30 wheelcart with TI Cart Cradle

Positives:
- Can be easily carried on the boat by turning upside down and put into holes behind the rear seat.
- Can easily be transported in the back of the car or on your trailer.
- When in use, sits under the TI, so allows to fit through narrower paths to launch site.

Negatives:
- Beach Tyres on the wheelcart are too small to support a loaded TI. They should have made the tyres the same size as the beach dolly tyres.
- TI Cradle doesn't support or locate the outriggers
- it is REALLY hard to lift and locate the holes for the cart. If sailing solo, you need to roll the boat over to the side to locate the cart. If it is 2 people, you need to have one person lift the cart up to shoulder level to locate the cart.
- with the locator holes, you can only really have the cart in one spot, you can't shift it further forward or back.
- If taking the cart on the boat it does take up some rear deck space. It sits right where my esky would go.

I must admit I'm not truly happy with either option so far and am looking at a C-tug or something that I could store in the hull when not in use and doesn't need to be located as I do a lot of loading and unloading the TI solo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How about using a plug in cart for beaching only? I usually do small trips from beach A to beach B, and carrying a dolly on the trip would be a real drag, so I use the plug in cart with hobie´s old base just to land it about 2m away from the water. When I have to carry it for more than 5m I usually disassemble the amas. Would that sort of use stress the hull too?

In order to assemble and disassemble the cart on the TI, I usually pull off the wheels, mount the cart and then put them in. I never felt any particular stress on the holes. Would that be ok?