Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all

In a few weeks we are heading 'down the coast' for our annual post-Christmas holiday near Jervis Bay. This will be the first year with our TI - previously we roof-topped the Revo 11 and walked it to the launch sites on the scupper trolley and were able to lock it to the beach house we stay at, which is up a steep driveway.

We won't be able to tow the trailer and boat up the driveway to the house, so it will need to be parked in the driveway close to the street, so I'm looking for some suggestions to minimise the chances of the boat, trailer or components getting stolen. We've never had problems with theft before, but its a tiny village whose population increases massively during the summer holiday period and tourists do get targeted a bit.

We have a klamp-it wheel clamp which we can use to deter people from towing the trailer away, and I will be getting a hitch helmet fro a belt & braces approach, but how to stop people taking the boat off the trailer? With the Revo I used a wire rope cable lock used for bicycles through the Mirage drive hole and around a column, and I figure I can lock the hull to the trailer the same way. Mast and Mirage drives will be kept up in the house. Do I need to remove the amas and akas each night, or are there good options to lock these down? Do people remove the seats?

Interested in owners' experienced and tips - thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can run chain or heavy cable through the drive wells and around the trailer and lock it that way. You would still want to take the seats, drives, and mast/sail with you. I would also recommend a hitch lock so they couldn't drive off with your trailer.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have a look at this site http://www.roofrackcity.com.au/load-sec ... wn-strapsI have them for my TI.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For the trailer, I drill an 3/8" hole through the round portion of the trailer coupler and use a conventional pad lock. If you have access to vinyl coated steel cable, you can make your custom length cables using aluminum crimping loop sleeves for the ends. I've used a large bench vise and drill rod placed correctly to crimp the loop sleeves in place. Larger cable diameters can be a challenge to crimp the loop sleeves though. As mentioned run a cable through the drive well and around the trailer beam. Of course, locks, etc. only keep honest people at bay. A determined thief with large cable cutters is only slowed down, hopefully making him look elsewhere.

Surfers use steel reinforced straps with lockable ends ..... see Kanulocks, Steelcore Inc. is another brand. Some models, I think, even have audible alarms on the locking end caps.

Using vinyl coated cable I would think you could even lock the sail/mast in place using a double loop around the mast pulled tight and locked to the trailer through a drive well also.

A full Hobie boat cover will keep prying eyes at bay and using steel cable you can lock the bottom of the cover in place.

Using 2 separate vinyl coated steel cables you could also completely encircle the main hull, amas, and trailer. If the cables are pulled tight, it's not likely anyone would be able to "slide" any part out from the cables.
good luck,
bill

It depends on the level of security you need or want to get a good nights sleep. Have you considered chaining a pit bull to the trailer overnight ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TI_Tom wrote:
You can run chain or heavy cable through the drive wells and around the trailer and lock it that way. You would still want to take the seats, drives, and mast/sail with you. I would also recommend a hitch lock so they couldn't drive off with your trailer.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

+1

I use a long sheathed bike cable and kryptonite bike lock. I noticed a lot of folks using the klamp-it and a cover for boats parked at the end of drives or out in the street in the northern beach area. I believe that it lets casual thieves know that you're watching and discourages them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put a lock which puts a big steel frame over the tow hitch, with big-arse lock inside its frame, PLUS a smaller lock preventing hitch from being undone from the car. I also use two Kanulock steel cables securing both amas and main hull to the trailer. I remove valuable stuff like chart plotter and drives, and use a couple of bike cable locks wrapped around enough times to remove any slack, around the mast and each crossbar.

Survived a couple of nights in Parramatta CBD, so wherever you are contemplating should be a doddle!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone - looks like the Kanulock is the way to go!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lots of good advice here. I use both a cable lock and a long heavy chain, making several wraps around the boat, trailer, and a nearby unmoveable object like a metal post or tree. Even if they have the right cutting tools, thieves will have to spend another five minutes getting all of the wraps undone and making noise with the chain.

I always remove the vantage seats and mirage drives and lock them up somewhere inside. They are expensive to replace!

I also cover the boat and trailer in a big blue tarp in hope that casual thieves will simply pass it by. Out of sight, out of mind?

-C

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI has a built in theft deterrent system, It's huge and heavy, I just can't imagine a couple teenagers running thru the neighborhood with a TI on their heads.
Also there is a huge difference between someone steeling a $300 dollar kayak off someones car ( a misdemeaner), and stealing a car, powerboat, or TI (grand theft auto, (prison time in the US anyway). Actually our insurance agent insisted we register and title the boat in case it is ever stolen.
We sometimes store our TI on our roof for weeks at a time when we are at our key west place. We bought a motor cycle chain lock (un cuttable), and run it thru the mirage pocket and thru the roof rack. When we take our trailer we use the same chain lock and run it thru the mirage pocket and around the trailer frame. We also have a reciever lock that we put in the reciever hitch.
The boat on the trailer won't fit thru the gate going into our compound, so the trailer has to sit in the drive when we are there. I remove the seats, motors, all the 3 sails from the boat and put them in the compound next to the pool.
Haven't lost anything yet in 6 yrs.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our local hobie shop recommends this master lock. The handcuff portion fits perfectly over the center aka mount. Loop the other end through the mirage pocket and around the trailer frame. Not foolproof but is simple and elegant.

Master Lock 8295DPS Quantum Cuff Cable Lock

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8295 ... ck+quantum