Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are now a 1 boat family with a TI that we use for anything and everything. We used to have a 24ft searay, and 3 hobie kayaks (1 oasis and two revos). We live right near the ocean in SWFL and the keys and go out a lot (most weekends until recently).
The main thing we like to do is snorkeling and scuba diving, we also go meet our powerboat friends at sand bars quite often.
We are also camper and like to travel with our camper. Since the hitch is occupied with the camper we have to rooftop the kayaks when we travel. To date we have around 200k plus miles traveling with kayaks on the roof.
After getting our first TI back in 2010 we seldom used our other kayaks so we eventually sold all the rest of the boats.
One thing about this area is it is huge and pretty much anything of interest is typically very far away from launch, unless you like going in circles over very shallow water and bare sand (what we call nothingness). We like having the capability to cover 50-60 miles per day (our current one day max range is 100 miles). Obviously our TI is souped up just a bit.
We have been far offshore (7miles) scuba diving off Key west one day, then a day or two later kayak in kayak mode up the sante fe river in central florida. Then a week later we were running the class 2 rapids on the Huron River in Ann Arbor MI in kayak mode.
Then the following week we made the offshore run out to Macinac Island in sailing mode (however I will never attempt that trip again).
We love our TI's (we are on our third now), it pushes all of our buttons.
FE

Edit:
Here is a pic of our rig on our way up to Lake Hartwell last summer with camper in tow. We were there a couple weeks, and took the boat down just once when we arrived, then just left it in the water at our campsite for the duration of our stay. Lake Hartwell is huge (45 miles long), and we covered quite a bit of the lake in full adventure mode. Yea we could have left the AMA's and sails back at the campsite and just used kayak mode (The TI kayak (kayak mode without AMA's) is the fastest and best Kayak Hobie makes), but on that huge lake kayak mode wasn't appropriate. What I really like about the boat is with just one boat you can configure the boat for the circumstances you encounter that day, there is no body of water we can't explore all from one boat, really versatile.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys. Wondering if anyone can give me feedback on pre 2015 Ti (old flat seats = lower centre of gravity) stability when used in kayak mode vs that of 2015 and later (vantage clip-on seat)? I don't want to upgrade if the newer shape with its higher seats is less stable. Thanks. If anyone has whatsapp, please contact there: +27741767021

Sent from my PCT-AL10 using Tapatalk