Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The spec sheets says the TI can carry a load up to 600lbs. Now, does the 600lbs include the weight of the hull, sails, akas, and amas? If that is the case, spec sheets says fully rigged it is about 130lbs. 600-130 = 470lbs. So in reality, i can't carry four grown adults?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't really speak to the specific listed carrying capacity of the TI, but can say that I would never put 4 adults on my TI and expect to enjoy much in the way of spirited performance, let alone even decent sailing. That's really pushing things for a boat of this size and displacement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most boat manufacturers do not include the weight of the hull and equipment in the listed carrying capacity. If that were true, most power and sail boats would sink at the dock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I can't really speak to the specific listed carrying capacity of the TI, but can say that I would never put 4 adults on my TI and expect to enjoy much in the way of spirited performance, let alone even decent sailing. That's really pushing things for a boat of this size and displacement.

I want to take my squat of soldiers sailing. That's the goal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've taken out three adult passengers many times. One in the seat and the others on the tramps. The TI handled it fine. Certainly not the best sailing performance, but not unsafe by any means. The total combined weight of all onboard and gear was close to but did not exceed the 600 lb maximum.

The only issue I had that now prevents me from doing this anymore is that I was twice turned back to shore by the local marine police for exceeding the number of crew on the TI's coast guard sticker which is only two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have an older TI, I weighed the bare hull, it weighs 105 lbs. The boat with the AMA's, sail, and mirage drives weighs 200 lbs (I weighed it). None of this is included in the 600 lb weight capacity. I have twin Honda 2.3 outboards that weigh 27 lbs ea, my spinnaker weighs around 4-5 lbs, my wing weighs about 4-5 lbs. my bow sprit weighs about 2 lbs, and my mast topper weighs around 2 lbs. The motor mount weighs around 3-4 lbs. I always carry 2 gallons of fuel (13 lbs), my first aid kit and emergency kit with tools, flares, and night lights weighs around 5lbs, (all in one dry bag).
I do have a planing mod (foam/fiberglass) that weighs 9 lbs mounted at the stern, but it gives me 100 lbs of additional flotation (I weighted it down in our pool while removed to determine the flotation).
Because I have up to 260sq ft of sail available and the twin big ole outboards the boat scoots along pretty well even when overloaded a tad.
I feel with a stock boat Hobie states 600 lbs (passengers and gear), that number is pretty accurate and I feel should be adhered to.

We have an inflatable 4 person (650lb capacity) that we inflate and tow behind our TI to store scuba tanks gear and big ice coolers (for food and drink, or for spear fishing catch), the water around key west is pretty shark infested, it's best to never have any catch or blood anywhere near the TI, unless you enjoy 6ft bull sharks bumping their noses into your tramps.
We also often tow other kayaks, and other adventure type boats behind our TI (like a mothership). The key is to tow everything directly behind the centerline of the TI at least 15ft away from the TI (otherwise you lose all steering ability). When towing another TI you want the other TI about 20-30 ft away, tethered at around 50 degrees off your stern (in clean air) with their sail fully deployed. Using the apparent wind I create at 8mph their sail reduces the drag, so we can main around 7-8 mph together even in vey light winds (5mph winds). Lol, I always make everyone pedal as well.
That's what we do, we like to snorkle just off key west only in calm flat water in winds under 5mph. With sometimes as many as 6-8 people, but never more than 3 adults in the TI, everyone else gets towed in the dingy or in our inflatable kayaks (we have two inflatable kayaks), we used to have 3 additional hard shelled Hobie kayaks as well but we sold them because we never used them,(too many kayaks to haul around).
Bottom line we just have a lot of fun and love our TI, we use it for anything and everything. I would never go out overloaded in anything but flat water, and very light winds, and never more than a half mile of shore.
FE

EDIT:
Here is a pic of us at a sand bar just off Siesta key in Sarasota with 6 on board. We had visitors who had never been sailing so I took them about a half mile out in open ocean (off Siesta Key), just so they could say they went sailing in the ocean (lol). I have no idea how much weight we had but it had to be tipping 900 lbs. The boat is widened quite a bit and both the AMA's are normally 4-6" out of the water on flat water, as you can see in the pic both AMA's are in the water. I didn't have my planing hull mod installed that day (it's removable), but should have (lol). The round hatches were underwater (a pretty good sign your overloaded). I normally take in between a cup and a quart of water during the day inside the hull, that day we took in a couple gallons. I suspect water comes in pretty much everywhere.
One thing about these boats and speed is if your traveling over 8-9 mph (mine tops out around 15mph in light air), all the scupper holes reverse direction and become drinking fountains, so the entire rear of the boat fills up with water up to the gunwales, when severly overloaded, the stern is actually under water (without my hull mod installed). Fortunately the water is warm here (lol). Obviously I have everything heavily re-enforced including my re-enforced tramps and super heavy duty spray skirts specifically for offshore sailing.
Don't try this at home kids (lol, always wanted to say that)
FE

Last edited by fusioneng on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it's the weight capacity that is the issue. As stated in other topics, it's more the fact that hobie put 2 crew on the sticker. In hindsight they probably should have just started the capacity in the owners manual and left the damn sticker off.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
I've taken out three adult passengers many times. One in the seat and the others on the tramps. The TI handled it fine. Certainly not the best sailing performance, but not unsafe by any means. The total combined weight of all onboard and gear was close to but did not exceed the 600 lb maximum.

The only issue I had that now prevents me from doing this anymore is that I was twice turned back to shore by the local marine police for exceeding the number of crew on the TI's coast guard sticker which is only two.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the TI?
fusioneng wrote:
We have an older TI, I weighed the bare hull, it weighs 105 lbs. The boat with the AMA's, sail, and mirage drives weighs 200 lbs (I weighed it). None of this is included in the 600 lb weight capacity. I have twin Honda 2.3 outboards that weigh 27 lbs ea, my spinnaker weighs around 4-5 lbs, my wing weighs about 4-5 lbs. my bow sprit weighs about 2 lbs, and my mast topper weighs around 2 lbs. The motor mount weighs around 3-4 lbs. I always carry 2 gallons of fuel (13 lbs), my first aid kit and emergency kit with tools, flares, and night lights weighs around 5lbs, (all in one dry bag).
I do have a planing mod (foam/fiberglass) that weighs 9 lbs mounted at the stern, but it gives me 100 lbs of additional flotation (I weighted it down in our pool while removed to determine the flotation).
Because I have up to 260sq ft of sail available and the twin big ole outboards the boat scoots along pretty well even when overloaded a tad.
I feel with a stock boat Hobie states 600 lbs (passengers and gear), that number is pretty accurate and I feel should be adhered to.

We have an inflatable 4 person (650lb capacity) that we inflate and tow behind our TI to store scuba tanks gear and big ice coolers (for food and drink, or for spear fishing catch), the water around key west is pretty shark infested, it's best to never have any catch or blood anywhere near the TI, unless you enjoy 6ft bull sharks bumping their noses into your tramps.
We also often tow other kayaks, and other adventure type boats behind our TI (like a mothership). The key is to tow everything directly behind the centerline of the TI at least 15ft away from the TI (otherwise you lose all steering ability). When towing another TI you want the other TI about 20-30 ft away, tethered at around 50 degrees off your stern (in clean air) with their sail fully deployed. Using the apparent wind I create at 8mph their sail reduces the drag, so we can main around 7-8 mph together even in vey light winds (5mph winds). Lol, I always make everyone pedal as well.
That's what we do, we like to snorkle just off key west only in calm flat water in winds under 5mph. With sometimes as many as 6-8 people, but never more than 3 adults in the TI, everyone else gets towed in the dingy or in our inflatable kayaks (we have two inflatable kayaks), we used to have 3 additional hard shelled Hobie kayaks as well but we sold them because we never used them,(too many kayaks to haul around).
Bottom line we just have a lot of fun and love our TI, we use it for anything and everything. I would never go out overloaded in anything but flat water, and very light winds, and never more than a half mile of shore.
FE

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI-Tom:
You need to learn the gift of the gab (lol). I've talked my way out of that one several times by explaining, oh that's just for the kayak itself (minimum configuration), I then explain my boat is heavily custom modified (which it is), we don't go out more than a half mile or so when severely overloaded anyway (we are not crazy, TI lives matter ( pun,,,lol)), and only on smooth flat water (no wind). It's a different situation alltogether if your more than 2miles out (CG's responsability), It's their complete discression if they feel you are overloaded or not safe in their eyes, and don't have the correct safety gear, believe me they check everything, pfd's, flares, fm radio, waterproof charts, compass, whistles, etc. we have been pulled over ten miles out and inspected. It's totally their discression, worst case they will make you turn in and stay closer to shore if they are uncomfortable in any way with you. No fines or anything, they are just doing their job with your safety in mind, I respect that. It helps to look captainish, maybe get a captains hat (just kidding)
PS you had better not have spear guns on board if in protected areas in the keys , you will go to jail. Know the rules.
FE
Edit: they always tell us we should also have an eplrb or elt on board, I need to get one. We don't go way offshore very often anymore (I've been frightened too many times way out there). The keys are not very safe without a lot of local knowledge, if you don't live there, I don't recommend taking stock TI's down there (just sayin), if you do, stay close to shore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fusioneng,
The CG is probably a little more understanding when it comes to vessel capacity/capability compared to inland fish and wildlife officers or sheriff's, specially when all they are used to seeing is powerboats.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually all of them swing by and check my cool boat out, and chat a little. I'm guessing they figure if he has to sail that complex thing he can't be drunk, unlike most everyone on powerboats, especially on big holiday weekends, you can see them going boat to boat. Lots of powerboats around here.
FE