Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the spin kit for my AI (purchased in 2009, but I suppose it could be a 2009 or a 2010 if the model years run like cars). Five minutes into the installation instructions there is reference to pre-tapped holes on the interior of the starboard front cross bar to which a cam cleat is to be mounted. There aren't any pre-tapped holes on my front cross bar.

I was wondering if perhaps someone knows if I was mistaken in thinking this accessory was compatible with my AI. Probably not a good idea to go further with this project if it turns out my boat can't accomodate it.

Thanks!

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are compatible. You will need to run to Home Depot and get a a drill bit and tap to drill and the tap the theads yourself. If I remember that was the only extra step with the older models. Be careful where you place the cross bar cleat holes so that it does not interfere with inserting the akas.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Better yet, first have a look to see if your crossbar has a pair of threaded holes on the PORT side. If so, you can simply mount the spin kit on the port side (which I was able to do on my 2012 TI).

In my opinion, this is >superior< to Hobie's instructions, as you can then have all the spinnaker kit equipment separate from mainsheet and furling lines. An added tip... thread the line up through the spinnaker so that the end knot is also on the port side of the sail. This will mean that when the sail is over on the starboard side of the AI (eg on a port reach), the line will exit the bottom grommet facing the snuffer, and not emerging at the back and bunching up the bottom of the sail. (On a starboard reach, this is not s problem as the sail is sitting above the snuffer).

(Note for TI users. As there are three grommets in the sail, you need to reverse this instruction and ensure that the top knot is on the opposite side from the snuffer)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! Any idea what size tap & bit? ( Would have been nice to see this information in the instructions)

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No off hand. Take the screw with you to Home Depot and they can tell you which tap set to buy. The drill bit and tap are sold together. Be careful when you run the tap into the hole you drill. Stay straight with the hole or you can break the tap off. Been there.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If memory serves, that's a #29 bit for a number 8 -64 machine screw.

If you tap outboard far enough so that you are above where the knuckle slides into the crossbar, you have to use a short enough screw to not impact the knuckle underneath.

Be sure to turn the tap back out every half turn or so to clear shavings and make sure is goes in dead straight the first few cuts. Any kind of lube helps. Also surround the work area with a rag so the shavings don't go all over the boat. It's a very easy job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tip on the lube. Haven't done this yet but will soon. The screw is a 32 and the bit a #29.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Tim,

I'd be keen to know how this went for you. I too own a 2010 (and haven't used it since 2012 - but am keen to get my bum wet again). Seen the spinnaker kits and said to myself, I'm doing that!

regards
Tarkan