Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi All,

Noticed a couple broken/torn hooks on my trampolines. They were new in March 2015. Any ideas for a fix or workaround? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Honestly the only time I use those hooks and bungees is when the tramps are rolled up. I would just cut the hook and bungee off and just use a couple of bungees with the ball to secure the tramps when rolled up. The OEM bungee tends to drag in the water when the tramps are deployed anyways.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Note, the Hobie bungee's won't drag in the water if snapped together. There's a male and female snap.

For repair, threaded dyneema rudder line through a small plastic 'J' hook (kayak supplies) and through the two holes in the original bungee hook holes. Works the same way as the original hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cooldudecaptain wrote:
Note, the Hobie bungee's won't drag in the water if snapped together. There's a male and female snap.

For repair, threaded dyneema rudder line through a small plastic 'J' hook (kayak supplies) and through the two holes in the original bungee hook holes. Works the same way as the original hook.

I always forget to snap those together. :oops:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cooldudecaptain wrote:

Great idea. I found some two hole lashing j-hooks on Austin Canoe and Kayak that should do the trick. Appreciate the help!

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/226/Bungee-Lashing-Hook.html?k=bungee%20lashing%20h

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Not a lot of load on these normally. Likely got folded over backwards or something. The hooks are available as:

91050020 HOOK BLK NYLON SEW-ON US$ 1.99

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt. Only load has been the bungie. I leave them bungied on the akas while stored. Both outboard hooks affected equally. Noticed last weekend- first time out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine failed a long time ago, I laced some fishing line or cord around what was left, (not a very good design IMO).
Once their gone I likely won't replace them with the same design, I'll make up something that works when I need to.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like CDC I used a J hook that I had in my kit and it works fine. Google lacing hooks for other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm also in need of replacement tram hooks.

How on earth do you reattach these the the tramp?

Looks like you'd have to drill out the old rivets an reattach the hooks with new ones - is this something a dealer could do?

Mike.

mmiller wrote:
Not a lot of load on these normally. Likely got folded over backwards or something. The hooks are available as:

91050020 HOOK BLK NYLON SEW-ON US$ 1.99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had 3 TI's now all the tramp hooks on all of them look just like the hooks in stringy's pic after two yrs of use, (that's 12 different hooks, all failed). I use my boat more than most I suppose because we live in SW FL and the keys and are out most weekends year round (until recently, I had to back off a bit cause of my bad back this last year).
On all mine once they break I typically drill a few small holes intop them, put marine epoxy on the back side, then lace them down to the tramp material with heavy duty upholstery thread or spectra string, or fishing line (whatever I have on hand at the time).
I alway use my tramps (most people only use the tramps once in a while), so mine get much more use than most.

My opinion is it's likely a purchased item by Hobie, and of little consequence, I would much prefer their valuable engineering resources spend their time on next generation big ticket items like lighter and stronger injection molded hulls, next generation sails, and a new super TI design. The new seats and mirage 180 drives are nice first steps.
The boats just keep getting better and better. I know of no other boats as capable as these with the right mods and enhancements yet still car toppable, keep up the good work Hobie.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's my fix using the Hobie hooks:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P.S. Not the best job of sewing a straight line. I could see if it was me doing it, but it was a professional shoe repair company!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="mmiller"]Not a lot of load on these normally. Likely got folded over backwards or something. The hooks are available as:

Our 2016 tramps are only 1.5 years old <30 sailing days and 3 out of 4 have crumbled. Tramps kept indoors and in aka bag between trips.

I think they have been made from inferior materials not befitting this $AU600 accessory.

Perhaps Hobie needs to fix this apparently long standing problem on new models and retrofit older ones for free.