Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thx, everyone for the helpful tips this forum has provided us, its always nice to share a passion that only a few of us adventures understand.
The wife (Ranger Rose) and I (Bruce) where avid windsurfers and raced Dart catamarans for over 10 years. Then the boat anchor years (2 kids). Now in our 50's looking for some type of sailing rig, physical limitation have dampened most of our options. We have been watching the evolution of the Adventure series since the beginning. Skepticism about the boats performance and price and not being able to test sail one was holding us back. For that kind of money for a kayak I definitely wanted more than a across the pond test ride.
Then one day searching last year I found this Hobie Cat dealer that rents the Mirage Tandem Island (Quiet Waters Sailboats Inc) in Waubaushene just 3 hours north of me up in the Georgian Bay Area of northern Ontario. We were really thinking of 2 single adventures, but at least we get to test one of these boats out. Tandem and trailer off we went to Six Mile Lake Provincial Park one of the many launch areas that are near by.
Right from the get go, a simply marvelous beautifully design performing cross platform vessel . Wow Wow Wow, yes 3 Wows. Throughout last summer 2016 we rented and tested and tested this Tandem 16 times, 7 to 11 hour long adventures in Beautiful locations in various conditions. From the Gale force winds in Lake Simcoe through and off the 10 ft rollers to the peaceful swamp like river ride up the Wye River to the base of "Saint-Marie among the Hurons" ( an old Fort). Never thought that at our age, and physical limitations, that we would ever be able to have such wonderful adventures ever again. Through all the wind, storms, current, rain, shallows, waves, surfing, sailing, we always felt safe and in control. The Skeptics where Sold, Sold, Sold, yes again with 3 Sold's . and then>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome! Welcome! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ranger Rose wrote:
Right from the get go, a simply marvelous beautifully design performing cross platform vessel . Wow Wow Wow, yes 3 Wows.

Agreed and welcome!
The most versaTIle vessel available. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome. I have the same cat/windsurfing background.
I'm in a similar life stage.
Recently took delivery of a '17 AI with Spinnaker kit.
It's a phenomenal vessel. Roller furling is outstanding.

Went out last weekend on the Chesapeake Bay and had one of the best sailing days of my life.

Tomorrow promises 14-20 knots. Guess where I'll be?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HI Bruce and Red Ranger,

Welcome! I'm new too, owner for a few months now. I just had the best couple of days in years thanks to the TI. I too have physical limitations. I raced keel boats and dinghies, played lots of sports, loved going out dancing with friends. Then complications from surgery happened that changed my life. I cannot do nearly the amount of things as I used to and that is unhealthy in so many ways. Sounds like you two can relate. I hit 6.6kts today, by myself. Rigged her by myself and all. I need assistance walking and unloading/carrying things and here I got to go sailing because its low impact and the mast is light (she is in a slip) and I can lay down to sail....I call it sailing on a lazy boy. Haa!
I have actually regained independence I thought was maybe gone for good.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying it to. Would love to see some pics of your adventures on those Ontario waterways.

Cheers,
Sailorv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldn't agree more! I had a fusion 22 years ago (L4,L5 & S1 - lower spine), and in January this year had C1 to C4 fused (top 4 of 8 in the neck), and next Monday I am getting T10, T11. T12, L1, L2 & L3 fused onto the old lower spine area. Got one artificial hip too. I will be a walking titanium warehouse! :) :)

But what is driving me forward is getting back onto my skipper seat in the TI, hopefully pain-free at last. These things are like marine mobility scooters!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
These things are like marine mobility scooters!

:lol:
Talk about versaTIlity! You've just added another string to the TI's bow Tony!
Below is a screengrab from a recent trip I did with my parents. Had a great day.
Dad will be 87 later this year and Mum's 85.
I hope for a speedy recovery from surgery and that you're back on that TI ASAP Tony.