Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,so after looking at Ti's for about 3 years AND pouring through the threads here, i pulled the trigger in April.
got on craigslist prior to purchase and got some racks. at the time i refused to buy another boat trailer.
after a 4 hr. drive down and loading it up at the dealership, i knew i was going to have to buy a trailer.
I had already created a list of how I wanted the ti set up..on the drive back home stopped and picked up a garmin 74sv. now i have owned boats before but never had a gps or fish/depth finder. but i wanted to be able to not just see where i am but also to map out areas. i absolutely love the screen size due to my eyes.
mounted it in the rear cockpit, and again from doing hours of reading here, i used Duct Seal to mount the TD in the bow. ended up taking 2 sticks (2lbs.)
then i did the unthinkable.......
a nice hole in a brand new hull, i couldn't believe what i had done. with switch panel in and fused, moved on to where to put the huge battery....
i know it is pretty ghetto, but after dry fitting the battery in the hull, i seen i needed some kind of pad/bed so that the weight would distribute evenly in the hull and not have pressure points.
reason for the big batt is to be able to be out multiple days with means to run gps, charge rechargeable lanterns, portable speakers, music, etc...
i dont have longevity expectations with this batt but i figured it should do in the beginning.
and to keep SOME form of charge being fed back in as well as a trickle while sitting in the driveway, i installed a little 15watt .9A solar panel.
the hakas are not the best species of wood i know, but it was the best i could afford and find near here. they are white oak with 4 coats of rusteoleum spar varnish. The black haka slats are just an ebony stain.
initially the plan was to break up the wood color and add some color into the mix. Since the sail and hulls have some blue, i was going to dye the middle haka slats with Transtint blue, but i ran out midway and decided i wanted a little more subtle secondary color, so i chose black.
Next up was an engine. I was floored when i seen a fellow floridians twin honda ti, so i settled with just a single suzuki. now i have read that i shouldnt mount it this way but me being not to bright and stubborn, well...you see
mixed feelings about this mount, not sure what i will do. i think eventually i will either do some kind of internal reinforcing of the holder tubes, or a new mount from scratch, or maybe mod the current one and add in some top bracing , jury still out.
next on my wish list was some form of shade in from the fl heat....a VERY quick CL search and a 10 minute drive and i had a NIB 4 bow bimini 91"-96" x 8'
installed easily, 2 holes in each haka, secured with hitch pins, and a Nite Ize cam jam on the corners of each ama.
unfortunately the bimini has to be removed/installed each time launching due to width but after a couple outings with it, i am totally pleased and glad to have the shade.
as for lighting since i like to be out at night...just a cheap led up front, and a visapro for an all around
i seem to keep drilling holes... :cry:
got a 4lb anchor and well since i have a grade5 a/c i used a trailer crank and mounted it on the motor mount.
ugh, not a good pic but you get the idea.
first shake down outing.....
and out camping...
more to come later....haven't even gotten to sail it yet, just been peddaling and motoring in the lagoon mainly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've certainly done a nice job. Well done.

Now having said that and at the risk of anyone thinking I'm berating anyone that does this type stuff (outboards, large batteries, bimini tops, etc.) I often see these type additions and wonder if the buyer wouldn't have been better off with a different boat to begin with. It's just an observation/question that occurs to me from time to time.

Beyond that, again, nice clean work on your boat. Very well done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love to see someones interesting mods like this. Great looking hakas. The black center boards give the boat a touch of artistic class.
By the way, I enjoyed your photographic work in your photo album. Very creative on everything, photos and boat.

Hope to hear back how the motor mount holds up. Sure is clean looking.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Mods!

Keep an eye on the spray foam. I've been told that if it gets wet a lot or constant high humidity, that it can start breaking down.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom i can understand your view, for me personally i settled on the ti for several reasons vs. A traditional hull
Versatality.. I can pedal/paddle/sail/motor
That was a big factor. Kinda like a jack of all master of none. I love the fact that i have 4 options of propulsion at my disposal.
Weight and ease of disassembly, and again versatality. Having the option to either amas out, amas in, or amas off (kayak mode).
My bimini and motor add ons are literally both able to be removed in under 5 minutes. So if i feel good enough physically i can simply remove the motor and go out pedalling.
And if push came to shove i can roof top the hull, not just stuck HAVING to use a trailer.
Again i understand how ppl would questiin why not just start with a different hull, but i actually enjoy the versatality options i now have.
Ahhh the photographic stuff is mostly my non pro work. I do not put top shelf work online for public view but im glad you seen something that caught your eye and liked.
Thanks for the comments though and feel free to comment or suggest anything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work FG! 8)
Agreed, there is nothing out there as versatile as a TI. I know of no other craft capable of going from the open ocean to the shallowest of creeks, that is as easily transported, easy to setup, with so many power options, minimal maintenance, and as much fun!
Re the motor mount, you would only need to slightly mod what you already have to get a reliable mount. Adding a bit of bracing and bolting the ally to the gunwale wouldn't be that difficult. After designing the OB mount I added to be easily removable, I have yet to remove it. It has become like a third x-bar and has been handy when loading/unloading. If I was doing it again I wouldn't bother making it easily removable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all. But all this came from the community here.im not sure what else to use for a battery tray, i know the expanda foam wont last, i was thinking of finding a block of closed cell foam and shaping a tray later down the line. Beyond that ive got no ideas.
I have considered making the mtr mount more permanent, but id need to either start from scratch or mod this one.i noticed last time tightening the tubes to the bar that the tubes were collapsing a little. Easy fix but just havent felt up to addressing it yet. No clue what grade alum the pieces are as i bought them from a bulk metal surplus supply.
Weather here has been awful for a week now, but I'm planning on a trip down to the micco/grant area (about 100 miles) and am excited to pull out the sail finally.
Again all ive done are all inspired from members kayaks here and I've really enjoyed seeing the mods and doing them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the TI club! Looks like you're off to a great start with some innovative mods.

If I may offer some suggestions:

In regards to the battery, what are you powering with it that requires such a huge/heavy battery? If just the Garmin and the bow light, then you can use a much smaller and lighter battery that would be far easier for you to manage. Hobie sells a kit for this which includes the battery, charger, and mount here. You can also purchase each component separately. I use this setup for my 9" Hummingbird 999ci Plotter/Depthfinder and it will easily power it for about 10-12 hours before a recharge is necessary. The smaller battery would also be easier to charge with your solar panel. Additionally, the battery is sealed so you never have to worry about battery acid spilling and damaging your hull.

In regards to the motor mount, if you're concerned that the rod holders aren't strong enough to continually handle the stress from the motor (a valid concern), I've just designed a very efficient, low-cost, easy to make motor mount that I can show you how to build. I haven't posted it yet here because I haven't had the time to formally document it, but PM me if you want the early details.

In regards to the anchor, you may find that a 4 lb anchor won't hold the TI well. I discovered this early on. However, some very clever people on this forum have designed and tested the perfect anchor, chain, and rope combo using a lightweight anchor which I find holds the boat perfectly. You can read about it here.

I love your bimini top. After baking in the sun for hours on end I'm trying to design one too. However, I need on that works with the sail mounted, which is going to be difficult.

Keep up the great work and post any future mods.

Last edited by pro10is on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This battery was just to get me started out. Battery powered items typically aboard on full day/multiday are
2 cell phones( gf cant stay off facebook, and i play music)
Bluetooth speaker (but i just bought one that has a solar panel,so i may not need to charge it now)
Led bow lights
Gps (7.5 watts consumption)
TEC (4amps consumption)
1 rechargeable flashlight
2 rechargeable lanterns

I'll pm about that mount as i think i should redo it before something splits.
Im mainly on the ICW and so far the 4.5lb Bruce anchor os doing well. Havent been anchored in any bigger water yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

so we got caught in some big water and nasty 30mph winds, relentless water pounding. something didn't feel right. was barely making any head speed and really sluggish, looked back and was shocked. almost the whole stern was submerged, made it to an island and had to scoop out at least 30 gals. of water. I have already tried several times to figure out how to keep the hatch seals in their correct position to no avail, and i'm not going to battle them any more. with that i, think i am going to go with an electric bilge.
i have had both types before , the manually turn on and the auto sensing, i would like the auto sensing but as i recall it would continuously run at timed intervals kinda like "just checking to see if there is any water that needs to be pumped", i did not like that and would like one that doesn't do that. is there one out there?
next up... i've found myself being out more at night and all i have is bow nav lights and an all around white, i'd like to install a correct mast light, actually two, one for under sail and the second for under power. i can use one light and just tape over the area for when under power and remove the tape to make it back to an all around, but trying to figure out mounting options. any ideas?
i searched about 50 pages in the search under numerous keywords and cant find any threads discussing mast lights. i cut the first batten down to help in the spinnaker tangle issue, got the Hobie update parts for the spinnaker and in combination it helps a lot, not a total fix but much more bearable now.
hopefully some will chime in and offer options on mast lighting and auto bilges.other than that, we been going out about once a week and going out today to do a little recon for some planned island camping in Oct.
It never ceases to amaze me everytime we go out ppl always ask about the ti , take pics, go on and on about how neat it is...i'm not an attention seeker but it always helps with keeping me from having buyers remorse on a 12K plastic kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
You've certainly done a nice job. Well done.

Now having said that and at the risk of anyone thinking I'm berating anyone that does this type stuff (outboards, large batteries, bimini tops, etc.) I often see these type additions and wonder if the buyer wouldn't have been better off with a different boat to begin with. It's just an observation/question that occurs to me from time to time.

Beyond that, again, nice clean work on your boat. Very well done.

I agree with everything Tom has said. Still taking on 30 gal of water in rough seas is not right. An electric bilge may give you a false sense of security. I would try to figure out why your boat leaked so much. Furthermore, I thought your motor was supposed to help you avoid getting caught in dangerous situations, or, at least, help you get out of them.

BTW, your round hatch seals should be lubricated (silicone grease) to keep them working. You may also need to improve your front hatch seal to prevent major leaking. There are good solutions for a better front hatch seal on this forum.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy a closed cell 12mm thick yoga mat, and glue layers together to make a "nest" to secure the battery. Would cost you about $10 plus glue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahh, the mat sounds like a great idea, thanks.
New issues....today the rudder won't hardly go up or down, seems my lines are twisted. Gotta figure out where i need to untie them from so i can get the twists out.
The water I took was from being on big inland water 3 footers @ 1sec. sets. It was pretty bad.basically the nose was almost completely submerged for about 2 hours solid. We were the only ones still out there. I've used silicone on the seals, even tried 5200 on the backs to help keep them from "rolling" along with silicone.its only good for one or two openings then back to rolling off center. Been like that from day 1, I swear I'll never buy another hobie, extremely disappointed in the seals.fun, interesting, unique kayak for sure, but for the price paid I'd expect better hatch seals/design.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FG-I think there are a number of posts on twisted rudder lines. Regarding the round hatch seals, I grease them with silicone and never worry until the next time they need grease. I think they seal even when they "roll."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got out early today fixed, or rather, untwisted one line and the other had jammed in the pulley up by the guide tube. I must have done that when I was trying to up rudder fighting the down rudder twisted line.
All good for now, learned what to look for and that if push came to shove I could fix out on the water if needed.
Wish I had an actual repair manual that had diagrams of all the line routing/knotting as I didn't even know there was a pulley up in the hull until I followed the line by hand since its so difficult to see up underneath.