Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Pro10is for such a comprehensive report. I completed the shakedown cruise on my rig yesterday and it exceeded my expectations.
I bought the Suzuki for its weight and also it was on special from my local dealer.
It is not easy to source Yakattack here in Australia and when you can, it is expensive so I made my own backing plates from 316 Stainless bar that I had drilled and tapped.
rather than Aluminium, I used more 316 Stainless angle for the cross brace and a piece of hardwood flooring joist to actually mount the motor, which is attached to the angle with 316 stainless coach screws. This way I avoid the electrolytic issues of mixing aluminium and stainless steel around salt water.

It is all constructed to the dimensions in the primary post and it worked a treat. As soon as I work out how to post images and video to this forum I will add more detail.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After a year+ considering this, I'm finally going to add an outboard.

I'm going to get the Suzuki 2.5. But is there a consensus on the Short or Long Shaft version?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Short version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After lurking, researching and talking about this for far to long, I finally took the plunge and did the outboard mod. It has been fun to see over the last couple of years how the mounts have evolved. I didn't do a whole lot to advance this design. It's simple, solid and can be built with basic tools. You could literally build this with a hand held drive and a hack saw. That said, a few other tools make it cleaner and easier. I used just under 36" of 2"x1/4" walled square tubing and 12" of 1.25x1/8" walled square tubing. To cut the aluminum, I did something a bit different. I bought a non-ferrous metal cutting blade from Amazon for my miter saw and a speed control from Harbor Freight to slow the saw motor down. It was an inexpensive great combination for cleaning and easily cutting the Aluminum.

I do have some thoughts on an improvement in the design. The improvement makes the build more complicated but allows for greater adjustment of the system.

What really amazed me was just how solid the whole mount to boat turned out to be.

I'm happy to answer any questions on the build. Maiden voyage is a week away!

https://www.amazon.com/Concord-Blades-ACB1000T100HP-10-Inch-Non-Ferrous/dp/B00LFCMTHY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KX43479PX20L&keywords=non-ferrous+metal+cutting+saw+blade+10+inch&qid=1562379152&s=gateway&sprefix=non-fer%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html?_br_psugg_q=speed+control

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

atv223 wrote:
After lurking, researching and talking about this for far to long, I finally took the plunge and did the outboard mod. It has been fun to see over the last couple of years how the mounts have evolved. I didn't do a whole lot to advance this design. It's simple, solid and can be built with basic tools. You could literally build this with a hand held drive and a hack saw. That said, a few other tools make it cleaner and easier. I used just under 36" of 2"x1/4" walled square tubing and 12" of 1.25x1/8" walled square tubing. To cut the aluminum, I did something a bit different. I bought a non-ferrous metal cutting blade from Amazon for my miter saw and a speed control from Harbor Freight to slow the saw motor down. It was an inexpensive great combination for cleaning and easily cutting the Aluminum.

I do have some thoughts on an improvement in the design. The improvement makes the build more complicated but allows for greater adjustment of the system.

What really amazed me was just how solid the whole mount to boat turned out to be.

I'm happy to answer any questions on the build. Maiden voyage is a week away!

https://www.amazon.com/Concord-Blades-ACB1000T100HP-10-Inch-Non-Ferrous/dp/B00LFCMTHY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KX43479PX20L&keywords=non-ferrous+metal+cutting+saw+blade+10+inch&qid=1562379152&s=gateway&sprefix=non-fer%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html?_br_psugg_q=speed+control

Great job! One of the cleanest and best engine mounts yet. It looks like you incorporated all the upgrades and made a few of your own.

Let us know how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
Great job! One of the cleanest and best engine mounts yet. It looks like you incorporated all the upgrades and made a few of your own.

Thank you, pro10is! It was really all of your ground breaking work and insight that inspired me and gave me the confidence to take on this project. I'm at a stage in my life with kids and a demanding job where I just don't have the time to experiment and work a lot out by trial and error (I'm lucky to even get on my TI a dozen times a year).

I'm thankful for everyone who has done a lot of the work before me and shared their experiences online. I'll continue to share what I learn and the ideas for further enhancements.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@atv223 - did you get the 12" or 16" YakAttack mounts? I got the 12" but it looks like you have the 16"? I may exchange them before I do the install if so.

Thanks!
J

atv223 wrote:
pro10is wrote:

Thank you, pro10is! It was really all of your ground breaking work and insight that inspired me and gave me the confidence to take on this project. I'm at a stage in my life with kids and a demanding job where I just don't have the time to experiment and work a lot out by trial and error (I'm lucky to even get on my TI a dozen times a year).

I'm thankful for everyone who has done a lot of the work before me and shared their experiences online. I'll continue to share what I learn and the ideas for further enhancements.
atv223 wrote:
pro10is wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pedalsandspokes wrote:
@atv223 - did you get the 12" or 16" YakAttack mounts? I got the 12" but it looks like you have the 16"? I may exchange them before I do the install if so.

Thanks!
J

Mine are 12" and are plenty long.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pedalsandspokes wrote:

Thanks!
J

YakAttack Gear Trac GT90 12 Inch Aluminum Mounting Track

YakAttack GT90 12 Inch Backing Plate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7