Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Defy's TI build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Leads me to a question how often do you wash your sail? Do i need to rinse it after ever sail? Tonight cause it was late i just hosed down the drives but tomorrow after work should i open the sail/tramps and rinse them off?

I've never washed any of my Hobie sails and never dried them before storage. My TI sail is 5 years old and my kayak sails are 8 years old and still going strong. I remember an early post from Matt Miller saying the salt left on the sail prevents mildew and that's been my experience.
I do hose the tramps, especially the buckle webbing straps, as the dried salt stiffens the webbing making it hard to adjust.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks stringy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time flies ....just realised my '10 TI sail is actually 7 years old!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

X-mas again!

This 6k boat is quickly turning into a 10k.... but i am almost done right, well minus the spin setup and some speed stickers on the bow like some of those shark teeth ;)

So i need ideas for mounts. I have 2 concerns main is safety for the kiddos. They are pretty good but i fear them falling of the tramps and me running them over. So I am leaning towards a mirage dive mount. My wife likes to lounge anyways so i would just put it up front. That way if the kids fall off its more centerline and forward.

2nd concern is beaching it. How can the wife pull the motor out semi quickly. We already do this with mirage drive so remembering is not the issue and i figure the dagger board would hit first.

Current line of thinking is a copy of the evolve handle out of wood or something and using the yakima wing. Or just use the plug or two 2 x4s shaped like a plug. Thoughts?

Post subject: Defy's TI build
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So 4 days of sailing and i already see this:

Ran some tape over it i will keep an eye on it. Might need to do a "remove the cleat" mod.

And back to the motor mount

So i didn't realize the PA plug and the TI plug were different.

PA plug fits snug with way less slop. I am thinking it might be a good donor. Anyone know how deep the motor should be in?

Going to notch the yakima wing to make the bottom bracket fit flush. Drill a hole and fill the plug with foam, use a bolt with some tubing over the threads.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
So 4 days of sailing and i already see this:

Ran some tape over it i will keep an eye on it. Might need to do a "remove the cleat" mod.

And back to the motor mount

-SNIPPED-

After reading reading the "broken mast thread" I am rather sure that the cleat chafing after a longer time shure could result in faliure of the carbon mast explaining the broken mast.
I have not yet gotten around to inspect my own mast on the TI but will post pics as I do.
I will look for a suitable plastic bottle and put on a plastic sleeve on the area under the cleat, that should fix the problem permanently without having to modify the sail.

Bytheway the motorbuild is looking good mate! :)
Looking forward to see you cruising around whith the electric.
What kind of batteries do you have?

/Gustav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Husse0416 wrote:
What kind of batteries do you have?

/Gustav

Just the standard Torqueedo 320 that cam with it. The plan is to only use it to get home from the sandbar (about 3-4 miles) in a no wind or we are tired state. We will sail/peddle there. So before i buy a bigger battery i will wait to see if the little one works.

Currently researching the 50w solar panel by torqueedo. We will play on the beach for 4-5 hours (kids) so that could easily top off the battery just unroll it on the tramp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
...Anyone know how deep the motor should be in?...

Since the prop will be directly under the hull there should be no issues with depth other than to ensure the prop has sufficient clearance to spin without hitting anything underneath both above and below it.

You need also design a method to quickly and easily raise the prop out of the water for beaching, docking, and avoiding shallow water hazards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the mock up:

You can see i haven't drilled the plastic for the bolt yet. I need to shorten the wing too by about 1/2 inch so i get a little up top. Also plan to put a pin in the bottom of the plug to keep the wing from spinning on the pole.

Looking to try this out just to see. If it works well i will make a v2 if not i go back to the drawing board. I was also thinking i should find a broken evolve. In the long run I probably should have bought the evolve but it was 700 more! Worst case i will cad a handle up out of aluminum and find a local waterjet to cut it. Maybe there is a maker space near....oooooor i convince my wife i need a new CNC router and i make my own!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But how do you plan to protect the prop, prop shaft, and motor during beaching, docking, and especially shallow water hazards? This, I feel, was a major design flaw of the Evolve. You'll need to quickly and proactively pull the motor out before you hit anything. Sometimes this just isn't practical or possible, or you can simply forget (I have, many times, with my Mirage drives, but fortunately they're rugged and easily repaired). The Evolve includes a long metal shaft which you have to frantically thrust into the motor to align the prop so it doesn't jam on the hull when pulled out. This was kludgy enough, but with your design the prop probably will jam until you can reach it by hand to align it, making the removal considerably slower and more difficult for something that needs to occur quickly and efficiently to avoid prop, prop shaft, and motor damage.

I have to tilt up my 403 a lot, often very quickly. If I forget to do this during beaching and docking, or when operating in shallow water, it will still tilt up on its own if it hits anything, much like an outboard motor is designed to do, avoiding damage. Your's won't, there is no fail safe. It'll be damaged the first time a mistake is made, perhaps severely. The prop can be ruined, and the prop shaft can be bent. Worst case, the motor can be damaged.

Be aware that Torqeedo will not warranty a 403 with obvious signs of collision damage. I'm not trying to criticize your design, I'm just trying to give you advanced warning before damaging a very expensive motor. You're obviously a very competent and talented designer, surely you must see this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trust me i want to put it on the rear like yours but i am fearful of my 6 year old deciding to dive off a tramp while powered. I feel the center mount provides more protection.

I figured it was the same issue as the evolve.

My plan is to only use it in deep water when the daggerboard is down. And i'll just have to watch it.

Another option is to put a guard around the prop... but that seemed harder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Trust me i want to put it on the rear like yours but i am fearful of my 6 year old deciding to dive off a tramp while powered. I feel the center mount provides more protection.

I figured it was the same issue as the evolve.

My plan is to only use it in deep water when the daggerboard is down. And i'll just have to watch it.
Another option is to put a guard around the prop... but that seemed harder.

Hi Defy!
I think your build looks great!
The risk of prop/motor damage might be less if adding a simple prop guard.
I will make a simle prop guard on my Xi5.
Something like this will do the job .....

I will use two pieces of a U-profil, plastic or aluminium, that is trimmed down. The two halves is then attached to the motor. Should be simple enough, I just have to find the right material.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the pic. More looking to protect my kids from the prop. I may be just over thinking it. My dad has a pontoon with a 250 on it and the kids dont fall out of it. Maybe i'll put it on the rear and just teach the kids to be more careful when we are under electric power.

Post subject: Defy's TI build
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So first test run with the motor and it worked pretty well. Its awesome when you have it going and wind . Stay at a pretty constant 6-7mph. With just the motor and sail furled it was and easy 3-4 at about half to 3/4 throttle. Did about 4 miles and used about 50% of the 320w battery.

Need to beef up my mount but it worked pretty well. Just wiggles a little too much. I couldn't get the foam to fill plug very well. So back to the drawing board.

But still another successful day, made it to the beach and back home. And the girls almost got to touch a dolphin. Girls where hanging their feet over the ama and once surfaced about a foot from her. She freaked at first then we spent the next 15 mins chasing the pod. They were pretty playful and seemed interested in us. I think it cemented my kids love for the TI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking about the discussion here on the safety of the motor and safety to your kids.

And thought a jet driver trolling motor must exist.

Sure enough it does and is compatible with tandem island rudder.

https://bixpy.com/bixpy-jet-for-hobie-rudder

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next