Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AKAs disconnecting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailing at the beach. I have safety lines tied between where the AKA's mount to the hull and the removable AKA arms. The two rear (starboard and port) AKA arms have popped out twice while sailing in relatively calm seas and light winds. They're "held in place" by the safety lines. Back on the beach the AKA's "click" back into place and seem secure. I have a 2014 TI and have never experienced this before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions or solutions ?

thanx,
bill

Post subject: Re: AKAs disconnecting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had a couple of random disconnects. Luckily the tramps hold thing in place long enough to fix the issue.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

cooldudecaptain wrote:
Sailing at the beach. I have safety lines tied between where the AKA's mount to the hull and the removable AKA arms. The two rear (starboard and port) AKA arms have popped out twice while sailing in relatively calm seas and light winds. They're "held in place" by the safety lines. Back on the beach the AKA's "click" back into place and seem secure. I have a 2014 TI and have never experienced this before.

thanx,
bill

Hobie is developing a pin or something like that to fix that issue supposedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 am 
Site Admin

It is possible that the twisting action of the connection could walk the hook out. We updated the boat this year with a new hook system that will be offered at no charge to all Island owners soon. Just waiting for the parts.

The new parts are a more aggressive hook and a hinged spring system to keep a constant tension on them. The old parts are molded plastic and could deform.

Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/79520604.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had this happen due to excedrive tension of my safety lines. Chose another safety line setup or relax the lines slightly and see what happens. You may be suprised.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Post subject: AKAs disconnecting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had this happen twice. First time i thought i didn't get it snapped in. But now i check each time and it still happened once more. Now every time i stop on a beach i do a walk around and just jiggle them and push in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Happened to me aswell... twice!! So I allways tie the akas with a short safety line. A safety pin is accually a good idea! Thanks!
Easy to drill a 5 mm hole straight thru the aka crossbar and the aka spline. I will give this some thought....

/Gustav

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my rear aka's pop out quite a few times. My safety lines prevent them from coming out all the way. On my boat anyway I noticed that if the rear bungy stretches too far and the aka bar comes out of the hole more than a couple inches, that allows the aka bar to twist, and the clip lets go allowing the aka bar to slip out a little. Kayak Bob came up with a simple fix using spectra string loops that keep the aka bars from popping out (clever).
We swim and snorkle a lot and like to sit on the AMA's to put our fins and mask on. Even with double bungy's the bungys are not strong enough to not stretch so I added a small spectra string loop that I pop over the little buttons on the end of each aka bar. This prevents the ama from dropping more than an inch or so, even with two people sitting on the ama. A side benefit of this mod is it also prevents the aka bar from twisting and popping out. Since doing that mod I haven't had a single aka bar pop out.
In our case it seemed to happen more often when someone was sitting on that tramp.
I'm glad hobie is finally addressing this annoying issue, Hobie makes a nice boat but we shouldn't need to do all these mods ourselves just to make the boat safe to sail without the boat coming apart in my opinion.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had this happen twice. Luckily both times the sail wasn't even out so it wasn't too bad, but it was a pretty good challenge getting it back in there while out on the water. The odd thing is the water was calm, we was just floating along and all of a sudden the ama was coming in to the side. Any idea when this update will be available?

fusioneng wrote:
Kayak Bob came up with a simple fix using spectra string loops that keep the aka bars from popping out (clever).
FE

Any info where I can find this mod? I find it easiest to re-board from the ama's, but they always try to pop the aka bars out of the ama's. A better way to hold them together would be awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Me too on my '14. I use cargo straps to keep my akas in place (my version of safety lines).
Looking forward to the updated hook system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
It is possible that the twisting action of the connection could walk the hook out. We updated the boat this year with a new hook system that will be offered at no charge to all Island owners soon. Just waiting for the parts.

The new parts are a more aggressive hook and a hinged spring system to keep a constant tension on them. The old parts are molded plastic and could deform.

I like it! Thanks, Matt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

Nice looking solution - not happened to us, but something that I keep in mind every sail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:

Great upgrade!
Looking forward to get this!

Thanks!
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still the simplest solution is to tie the akas together across the hull. You could almost omit the clips and still be okay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cooldudecaptain wrote:

thanx,
bill

Free Upgrade available now to fix this.