Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

vetgam wrote:
Gustav, the spinnaker mast hrad sits on top if the mast but is not attached to it. It's possible that any float attached it it may come off if deployed. You'll probably néed to attach it to the mast itself.

Indefense of Tom. He has been on this forum of years and he's not the argumentative type. I am sure he was just trying to help. He's also a VERY sharp guy with fantastic ideas and a great deal of sailing experience. He is being modest. When he seeks up, it gets my attention for sure.

Howdy Greg!
I am planning to fasten the inflatable float on the mast tip rotator for the jib.
https://www.southwindkayaks.com/product ... ip-rotator
I vill have it secured with an extra hoistline so nothing at all will interfere with the sail, mast or in the future the jib.
I guess that should work? The shroud line and also the float hoist line will press down on the mast tip rotator and hold it in place.... I hope anyway.
Any thoughts?

There is no need to defend anybody I hope?
I just dont like when people makes unproven assumptions and leans on their experiance as a form of leverage.
I am always open for debate but I wont budge an inch if I am not proven the opposite of my thesis no matter anybodys experiance.
So far in this matter no such proof... so far anyway.... none what so ever...on the contrary... a hole lot that indicates this might be viable aproach to add a rather simple and innovative saftety feature in case the AI/TI capsizes. I find that rather positive and interesting and it might not suit everybody but for my setup its just the right treat if it works.
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

walt wrote:
The inflatable float will probably need to attach near the mast.

The sail will likely be unfurled if you ever need that mast end floation. But if the sail were rolled up, I suppose the top of the sail would wrap around the inflatable flotation.

Might be interesting to see how the wrapped up sail "likes" the flotation inflating. Will it look like a snake that just ate a pig or will you hear a loud pop from either the sail or the flotation.

Anyhow.. good thing the sail will likely be unfurled if that ever goes off (unless the rolled up sail collects rain at the top or something like that...)

Hope the test video shows the float inflating when it hits the water - likely with the sail unfurled. Good for you for trying this out.. why not..

As I just explaind to Greg, the inflatable float will be hoisted it its own line. Nothing will stop it from expanding and it wont affect the sail or mast.
We will try to get some good video on the trial. If it works ok I hope it can be interesting for other Islanders giving some extra safety.
The cost is around $250 with the mast tip included so its not "for free" but for my own purpose it sure is worth the cost (it if it works of course) to have the knowledge and security to better manage if the TI is capsizing.
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Should hold the mast topper if there is always tension on the ballast halyard. I was thinking in terms that when the mast top hits the water it would pull the spinnaker our of the bag and off of the mast. But not if there is a tight ballast halyard.

Experimenting and getting back to us is half the fun. Go for it.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Last edited by vetgam on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

vetgam wrote:
Should hold the mast topper if there is always train on the ballast halyard. I was thinking in terms that when the mast top hits the water it would pull the spinnaker our of the bag and off of the mast. But not if there is a tight ballast halyard.

Experimenting and getting back to us is half the fun. Go for it.

I dont have the spinnaker yet and when I do get it, it will be a furling jib/spinnaker so no bags or messy lines.
I have just ordered the spare eftra rotating mast tip to hold the float.
I guess it should be enough to hold the float in place. The mast tip can handle the force of the spinnaker and as I see the problem the forces from the float should be less then from the spinnaker.

The furling jib is a little project on its own but I have enough on my plate with other projects right now so sadly the furling jib will have to wait a while. But I am thinking ahead and I am planning for it.

O yes! It really is good fun finding out and setting up the TI. Doing all the mods and adding accesories.
I am having a blast!! :D