Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m with you Greg. When the ‘15 updates were announced there was no info from Hobie that the TI’s buoyancy and volumes were increased. The consensus from many who tried both was that the TI’s updates were minor and made little difference to sailing. The ride was drier due to the Vantage seats but the bow diving and heeling buoyancy was unchanged.
As the LOA of both hull and AMA was unchanged in the update and the bow looks very similar to the original (aside from the minor reverse bow change) and the hatch dimensions are identical (see the link I posted above) these comments on much improved TI sailing are a real surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just clarifying here - My conclusion was that we are not going to see a drastic update to the Tandem Island anytime soon because it was just updated at the same time that the Adventure Island was. The TI updates included: 1) changing the slope of the bow and amas leading edge, 2) increasing the volume of the hull and amas, and 3) modifications to the hull to accommodate the vantage seats. Am I missing anything?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing is clarified to me. When I get back to S FL in a couple weeks, I'm going to a dealer and check out the newest TI and compare to my 2014 TI. Maybe someone will do it before me. Fine.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
Nothing is clarified to me. When I get back to S FL in a couple weeks, I'm going to a dealer and check out the newest TI and compare to my 2014 TI. Maybe someone will do it before me. Fine.

Keith

HAHA I'm with you. Doesn't seem like we can get an answer here, difinitively.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Doesn't seem like we can get an answer here, difinitively.

mmiller wrote:
Yes, the bow of the main hull and the amas added volume and moved volume forward.

When we added the reverse bows. That is added a small amount of volume at the waterline. Both amas and the main hull were modified in this manor.

Engineering agrees that the difference in performance is minimal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt. I think that clarifies the situation...for me.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can someone with a later TI than mine, which is a '10 from the first batch to reach downunder, tell me if it is possible to exit by walking on the bow deck/hatch?
I could do that on my AI's but never on my TI which oil cans to the point of collapse. I weigh 80kg.
To me that is an area that needs updating on the TI.
A re-designed stronger and more waterproof bow deck and hatch would be very welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Can someone with a later TI than mine, which is a '10 from the first batch to reach downunder, tell me if it is possible to exit by walking on the bow deck/hatch?
I could do that on my AI's but never on my TI which oil cans to the point of collapse. I weigh 80kg.
To me that is an area that needs updating on the TI.
A re-designed stronger and more waterproof bow deck and hatch would be very welcome!

Its a bit soft on the front hatch otherwise fine on my 2017 TI. Never tried it on an earlier model so sadly I dont have any other reference.
I weigh about 85kgs. I find the plastic getting a bit softer on sunny warm days.
I have been thinking of adding a (removable) front casting deck.... even if it is possible to stand on the hatch/front it doesn't feel very solid at all and and also the sloping slippery surface is hard to balance on.
:)
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Gustav.
I got the impression that the latest model seems stronger when I viewed it at a recent boat show.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish my Tandem Island on Nantucket sound as well as cape cod bay and I’ve stood on the forward hatch a few times and it seems to hold my 180 lbs. but not happily. But I do step there when I beach the boat . As for new design , it’s seems my customers really like the new bow and the extra volume . I personally have tried to pitch pole mine and have not been able to which I could do with the older design. Now the one question I do have is balance, has anyone noticed any Lee-helm ?

Dune with silver Dodger
LOKI