Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When Hobie last updated the AI hull, did they also update the TI's? The reason I ask is that the AI looks really beefed up compared to the previous generation. But it doesn't look like they made many changes to the TI. I know they made changes to both to accommodate the new seats. I am talking about the rest of the hull and the amas. Anyone else get the same impression?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, nothing was done to the TI hull accept accommodate the new Vantage seats.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

We did change the hull and amas bow shapes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
We did change the hull and amas bow shapes.

Thanks for the info Matt! :)
Was that in 2015 for the TI?
Did Hobie increase the sail area aswell and maybe the length of the mast in the upgrade?
The reason for asking is that the mast tip rotator I just got delivered dont really fit well on the masttip of my 2017 TI. The cup in the masttip is about 2 mm to wide so the fit is very loose. I figured maybe the TI mast got longer/thinner in the upgrade? Just asking.... maybe the fit is supposed to be this way?
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Looks like 2015 is correct. The sail changed related to the CT seats. I show no change to the mast, so the fit must be as expected and is for AI and TI so not net fit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! All that is news to me. The change to the 2015 AI was dramatic. Certainly nothing like that change made to the TI.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to chime in on the updates, though they are a year or two old now. Had a '14 and upgraded to a '17 TI, the difference is huge. First off the seats are more comfortable whether sailing or pedaling and keeping my butt dry is fantastic. I had a chance to sail it last week in pretty good winds, about 12 MPH with gusts to 25. Rather challenging, but the boat just ate it up. The old hull would dive like a sub in this, aside from one or two waves I stayed dry the whole time. The rudder would sometimes get overpowered and stall, but pedalling and bearing off fixed that. The acceleration off the gusts was impressive, wish the hull would plane but it does surf. I have not has so much fun since my laser and hobie 16 days, and love that I can lean hard on this boat without any issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

quattroguy wrote:
I have to chime in on the updates, though they are a year or two old now. Had a '14 and upgraded to a '17 TI, the difference is huge. First off the seats are more comfortable whether sailing or pedaling and keeping my butt dry is fantastic. I had a chance to sail it last week in pretty good winds, about 12 MPH with gusts to 25. Rather challenging, but the boat just ate it up. The old hull would dive like a sub in this, aside from one or two waves I stayed dry the whole time. The rudder would sometimes get overpowered and stall, but pedalling and bearing off fixed that. The acceleration off the gusts was impressive, wish the hull would plane but it does surf. I have not has so much fun since my laser and hobie 16 days, and love that I can lean hard on this boat without any issue.

quattroguy - Do you have an AI or a TI? I've seen the AI and it is much more substantial than it used to be. I could see it performing as you described. However, I am wondering if the TI is due for a similar upgrade. It seems like it should be identical to the AI, but with an extra seat, longer hull, and longer amas. I know they reversed the slope of the TI bow and amas to match the AI and upgraded the seats, but the rest looks the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 17 AI and can confirm Diver_fcd's performance report.

This past Saturday was out for hours in conditions ranging from 12-20+knots, 1-3 foot waves and rollers.

- Occasional rudder blowouts (boat turning into the wind) during bigger gusts. This is a "safety feature."

- Boat does not plane like a Laser, but coming back on a broad reach with a steady 15knots behind me I was absolutely surfing up and over the rollers. It was a hoot. Felt like I was inner tubing down a snowy mountain bouncing over bumps.

- When the wind picked up -- roller reefing the main is one of the boat's best features.
It keeps the boat's overall performance and the leeward Aka "up".

This boat is brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Yes, Looks like 2015 is correct. The sail changed related to the CT seats. I show no change to the mast, so the fit must be as expected and is for AI and TI so not net fit.

Thanks for the info Matt!
I will try to make a cup/sleeve adaptor to make the tip rotator to fit more snuggly on the mast tip.
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the TI. My old boat would dive in a big gust, both the lee ama and main hull. The new boat will barely sink the ama below water and never the main. The rudder stall in gusts can be reduced by pedaling harder and bearing off slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m confused by just what would contribute to the improved sailing characteristics QG?
The AI upgrades were substantial with much larger AMA and a redesigned higher volume hull.
The TI upgrades in ‘15 were just the Vantage seats, higher head clearance sail ( but same area) and reverse bows on hull and AMA ( but same volume).
AFAIK there were no other changes? https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 66#p292466
Do you think the reverse bows make that much difference or possibly the Vantage seats have been repositioned for better boat balance?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like Matt to weigh in on differences, but IMHO the bow reshape also added some volume. All I know is that the old shape would dive in a gust, the deceleration from that would slow the boat and then the mast top would bend, depowering the rig. Several times I had the boat under up to the mast. The new boat will take big gusts without any dive and the only issue was the rudder stalling.
I have not sailed a new AI, so I have no comparison of old vs new on that hull. Just so pleased with the new TI hull and vantage seats, makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the bow of the main hull and the amas added volume and moved volume forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Yes, the bow of the main hull and the amas added volume and moved volume forward.

So confusing. AI or TI hull?
Up to now I think everyone understood there were no changes to the TI hull in 2015 other than changing the angle of the bow. Are you saying that angle change by itself added significant boyancy?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis