Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Hatch Seal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is similar to what Mechanic Mike did. The seal that comes on the boat side has been removed and replaced with a similar seal that has a round bulb on the side instead of on the top. It came from Austin Kayak and is under the same part number as the other seal.
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/15 ... -Foot.html
This allows the seal on the hatch side to come down and contact the boat and when I put the hatch on I can feel the slight drag of the bulb seal on the inside of the hatch.
Inside the hatch there is a piece of about 1/8" EVA foam. This foam could probably be slightly thicker but it's a trade off in getting just the right thickness without lifting the hatch seal off of the boat.
So far it seems to be working well. I have a Tub Trug sitting under the hatch and it doesn't collect any water.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Front Hatch Seal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for post and pics!
I have the 2017 TI and it seems as hobie has upgraded the front hatch with thicker softer rubber seals. I had no leakage but have not yet "submarined" my yak.
So far so good but I am prepared to add some "sealant" to the hatch if neccesary! :D
I will do a capzise test soon and that should give som indication if the seal is ok on my model.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hatch problem seems to be highly variable between boats. I didn't have a serious problem previously but I'm hardening the boat for rougher conditions and wanted to be sure it is as water tight as possible. I'll have to take a look and see what the new ones look like. Looking at the impressions left in the EVA foam makes me think the rim of the hatch could be shaped to better conform to the hatch lid but I haven't thought of a good way to do this. For now I'm calling it good enough.
Mine is a 2014.
Thanks
- C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Of all the solutions I like this one the best! My seals are shot so they need to replaced anyway. I'll try this solution and report back!

Thanks again for posting

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Chris, when the lid is installed, does the seal attached to the lid make contact with the boat? I used the side seal for the inner seal like you but it lifted the outer seal off the boat on the long sides of the lid. I'm just curious if that is the case for your boat too...

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are correct, that outer seal on the lid isn't compressing against the hull as well as I originally thought. I was able to slip a thin piece of paper under the seal in several places. I suppose this could be improved by carefully trimming material off of the vertical flange the bulb seal is attached to or by putting a gasket in the groove where the lid seal touches the hull. I think the bulb seal is doing a pretty good job along with the eva foam in the lid contacting the bulb seal's attaching trim but the impression in the eva from the trim isn't uniform around the inside of the lid so that probably could be improved also. I may have too much eva foam in the lid to allow that outer seal to touch. I'll take another look at it when I have a chance.
Thanks
Chris