Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

If you have a V1 MD180... yes. You can get the V2 upgrade.

mmiller wrote:
We have made a change to MD180 fins, masts and booms to help fin durability and replacement. This is a running change. Kayaks have been shipped with the new fin version. V1 and V2 mast, fin and boom parts are not interchangeable.

The new "V2" version removes the adjustment thumb screw from the clew attachment. The fin adjustment is now a screw at the mast head (Similar to the Eclipse flow fin). The boom is modified to accept the new fin with a simple clevis pin and ring connection.

The "V2" brings us back to a known simple clew attachment which allows tool-less fin removal.

Old version fins, Turbo kits, and booms are no longer available (we have V1 masts). If a V1 fin, or boom needs to be replaced... warranty (with claim) would send a complete update kit, including instructions, at no charge. Be aware that, as before, we are somewhat short on these parts as the factory is using all available parts for production.

Here is a list of the new parts:

Kits for MD180 V1 drives to convert to V2 Std or V2 Turbo:

V2 Update Kits
81501111 MD180 V2 BOOM-MAST-STD FIN KIT
81501112 MD180 V2 BOOM-MAST-TURBO FIN KIT
(Includes two booms, two masts and two fins per kit and instructions.)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since I have a V1 Turbo, I will go to my dealer and ask for V2 Turbo.

- 81501112 MD180 V2 BOOM-MAST-TURBO FIN KIT

Thank you matt for the quick response.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Currently shows late January.

Any update Matt on the furling drum?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Still says late January... have nothing more.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

I see the part arrived today.

We are closing down our old shipping facility tomorrow and are in the middle of a move to a larger building. This will cause a few more weeks of delay.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to the tips posted by others I was able to get the parts installed smoothly and avoid any problems I might have caused myself.

Though I never experienced my akas sliding out, the old aka clips on my 2015 were becoming more difficult to engage. They just didn't have any spring left in them and it would take a few tries to get them to snap in. The new ones with the steel springs lock in much more positively on the first try.

Today I also repaired a broken cable on one of my mirage drives, (finally) installed the steering handle risers, and tuned up the mirage drives. I'm ready to hit the lake tomorrow!

This forum is truly a wonderful resource and adds greatly to my enjoyment and use of the Hobie boats. Honestly it is the reason I had so much fun with my AI and got a TI a few years later.

Too bad my sailing buddy is headed back to college after her spring break.

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Hobie!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a great forum. I have a 'new to me' TI_13. Was wondering, what do I need before I approach the dealer? Do I need a hull number (if such exists) or original bill of sale? I doubt I will just be able to walk in and ask for the aka kit or fin kit. I just had a look for a hull number, but it is stored so difficult to get at it.

Also, since I encroached in the company of knowledgeable sailors, I download docs with part numbers but could not see the number for the sheer pins for the aka support. Anyone have that on hand? Everything else I want for spares I have found.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

YakYakallday wrote:
This is a great forum. I have a 'new to me' TI_13. Was wondering, what do I need before I approach the dealer? Do I need a hull number (if such exists) or original bill of sale? I doubt I will just be able to walk in and ask for the aka kit or fin kit. I just had a look for a hull number, but it is stored so difficult to get at it.

Also, since I encroached in the company of knowledgeable sailors, I download docs with part numbers but could not see the number for the sheer pins for the aka support. Anyone have that on hand? Everything else I want for spares I have found.

Thanks!

You will need the hull number to get the updates. Unfortunately I don't have those pin numbers handy either. The dealer should be able to get you fixed up with some pretty easily though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I will try to find the hull number tomorrow. At least now I know there's one there somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakYakallday wrote:

Thanks!

If you have an MY13, I don't think you can change to those fins, which only wqork with the MD180 version.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Airsails wrote:
All mine were seized, this method removed them with no sheared heads or damaged threads.
First you remove the plastic lock plates with a pair of side cutters and pliers, they break off fairly easily.
Next, using a heat gun, heat each screw head in turn.

Thanks Airsails,
yes I used a similar method after snapping two screws on the first aka. Even using this method I snapped another two screws across two other aka's. Now I need three replacement aka knuckles ...

Matt, does Hobie really think that their customers can/should perform this update ? I will be asking my local dealer to complete the update.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
The aka lock upgrade is only for model years 2015-18 (V2)

As far as I understand that’s not correct PP.
As all TI’s have V2 X-bar/aka bars (only AI’s had V1 bars with a QR pin) the upgrade includes all TI’s. The upgrade for my ‘10 TI is waiting at my dealers.
See Matt Millers post on P1 of this thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
As far as I understand that’s not correct PP.
As all TI’s have V2 X-bar/aka bars (only AI’s had V1 bars with a QR pin) the upgrade includes all TI’s. The upgrade for my ‘10 TI is waiting at my dealers.
See Matt Millers post on P1 of this thread.

Thank you for clarifying. I misread that post.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, I was told by my dealer that the AKA locking updates and the Furler line guide kit are not warranty items and I have to pay to get them for my 2015 tandem Island. Cost is $79 for the Aka locking updates and $7 for the Furler line guide kit. Please can somebody clarify if the Aka locking updates are a warranty item, or if I have to pay for them. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next