Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just a short shoutout and big thanks to Hobie and my excellent Swedish dealer Kayakstore.
After some waiting (out of stock) the free upgrade (Aka clips and Furler guide) arrived and is mounted succesfully. As my craft still is pretty new I had no problems with seized corroded screws on the knuckles but I can see a problem in the future. I put some aluminium paste/grease on the screws if I need to remove them again in the future.
Thanks for the free gear and good support.
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally got dealer to order upgrades, thanks to this thread. Cant wait for that furler add.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quick note to anyone else considering upgrading their aka clips:
We lost an aka whilst sailing at sea off Falmouth (UK) last summer - no warning, front (windward) aka bar just came out & wife ended up in the water, clinging on to a tangle of tramp, bars & the ama. Quickly furled the sail & awkwardly paddled to nearest beach with her in the water holding onto the parts as best she could. No big drama in the end but could have been much worse if it had been the leeward aka that came out, or we had been much further out from a landing spot!
In the moment, I presumed something had broken, but once at shore found the aka had simply slipped from it's clips - it clicked back in but I could see how easily with just the slightest of touch of a button it comes out - so I presume just the movement & twisting through the waves had released it.

Anyway, I was aware of the upgraded clips thanks to this site, ordered the upgrades but didn't get around to fitting over the winter so ended up having to take them on hols with us this summer, and this is how I fitted them with just basic tools & WD40:
Soaked the screw heads with WD40 & checked I could loosen each one before proceeding. Lucky for me they all came free (2017 model regularly hosed with fresh water) - after reading others experiences on here, that was the most worrying part for me!
Then with a good squirt of WD40 up the tube, I could depress the clip buttons & lever the clips slightly outward using a flathead screwdriver.
Without any long-nosed pliers (or metal coat-hangers to bend), I cut a 3 foot length of cord, threaded each end through the same button hole, poking one end above & one below the clip, pushed it through until both ends came out the tube. Wrap the cord around the hand & with a few sharp tugs the clips came flying out.
I used a broom handle to push the replacement clips back up the tube - with some care it's easy to push until the buttons line up with the holes and they simply pop into place. Replace screws - job done.
I could see no difference in the replacement aka bar ends, even though the illustration appears to show an increased ramp angle, but replaced them anyway - if you are suffering from corroded screws you could save yourself the hassle here.
It feels considerably more positive & secure mechanism now, so due to our experience I consider this an essential upgrade, and in the meantime I would recommend taking other precautions mentioned on here such as securing-lines between each knuckle.
Hope this is of some help, and offers encouragement to those still thinking about it! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I have posted in the past, there have been many examples given on how to "harden" your Island, and ensuring the akas cannot possibly become attached in error is one of them. Cost is a few bucks only...

Buy some dyneema line (Hobie rudder line)
Tie a tight loop around the top of the aka hinge
Tie inner end to the deadeye in the middle of the hull, using a small carabiner if you want to be able to detach the aka from th hull (I have detached mine once since 2012!)
Repeat for each aka.

That's it! You will need to undo the line if you need to detach the aka, as the line will physically prevent the aka moving outwards, even if the Hobie fitting fails, but YOU get to choose when that happens!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like Tony said, there are plenty of simple mods posted that address a lot of issues.

I just added a loop of heavy duty bungee cord that slips under front & rear crossbars & attached bungee button to each aka bar just past the knuckle. After inserting & locking aka bars into crossbar, simply just pull bungee over & secure onto button on aka bar. It makes a quick & very secure backup so aka bar will not pull out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Matt,

I just bought a used 2015 TI and it doesn't have either of these updates (i.e., the aka lock update and furler line guide). Can I still get these parts? The closest dealer to me is TackleShack (https://shop.tackleshack.com/) in Pinellas Park, FL.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, ask the dealer to file a claim.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear Matt Miller

I have asked my local dealer at Canary Island -"Distrimar"-_ on august 2019. They reply my several times, that they are still waiting the parts from Hobie Europe. One year with no news!

What happen with Hobie Europe -Netherlands-? What happen with Hobie Canary Island?

I own a Tandem Island since 2011, and I can tell you that to find spares in EU usually came with delays and over prices that were not very competitive with the rest of the world.

Thanks and regards

Ignacio Herranz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had spent a silly amount of time trying to drill the screw shafts out of my forward aka knuckles before I gave up. Fast forward a year..and I notice that Hobie is now offering forward AKA arms, with knuckles. DONE.

I have ordered those bits and will try to get everything ship shape since we're stranded here in Naples for a bit longer.

I am stoked..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="mmiller"]Free Island Updates Announced To Dealers Today

We have received enough parts to start offering an AKA Lock update. We have also created a furling line guide that helps to prevent the line from getting stuck around the bearing plate. Both kits are available through warranty at no charge.

I have emailed the Australian Hobie people a number of time who have not replied.

"I understood that I could receive upgrades listed below:
79520604 AKA LOCK KIT HINGED HOOK Replacement
79512101 ISLAND FURLER LINE GUIDE KIT
Can I get these for my 2012 TI??

Would you help me here?
Kind regards

Brian Brain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great that Hobie is offering free fixes here.

I have a 2018 Hobie Tandem Island, do I need the 79520604 AKA LOCK KIT HINGED HOOK Replacement or is this already applied to 2018 boats?

How do I tell if mine has the new Aka locks or the old ones? Is there a way to tell?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Yes, ask the dealer to file a claim.

Hi Mat,
Hope your holiday goes well

I'm still trying to get the local dealers to respond to my emails w.r.t. the free island updates.

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can obtain them?

79520604 AKA LOCK KIT HINGED HOOK Replacement
79512101 ISLAND FURLER LINE GUIDE KIT
Can I get these for my 2012 TI??

Kind regards

Brian Brain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt who responded to my email immediately!

Also thanks to the US Hobie team :- Tameika Buchan, Jacques Bernier & from Asia Pacific, Liz Wells, who all quickly responded.

The lack of response from local dealers was probably due to the State of Victoria's Covid lockdown!

Betabrain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
US Hobie team :- Tameika Buchan, Jacques Bernier & from Asia Pacific, Liz Wells, who all quickly responded.

Actually... US Hobie team :- Liz Wells, Jacques Bernier & from Asia Pacific, Tameika Buchan, who all quickly responded.

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
mingle wrote:
Is thi8s for all Islands?

Mine is a 2012 model which I purchased second-hand - do I still qualify for the updates?

Cheers,

Mike.

Yes all V2 Islands are eligible... new, used, second hand...free upgrade.

Matt,
I have a 2016 AI which I purchased new in late 2015. I contacted a Hobie dealer recently for these upgrades and was told to take a picture of the Hull ID. I just heard back from the dealer that Hobie will only issue the upgrade if I have an original receipt or copy of the warranty. My paperwork has been misplaced. I'll keep searching. But I don't believe this was required for earlier upgrades. Was this misinformation or has Hobie changed the policy? Thanks in advance for any information.
Carol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next