Post subject: Iguana
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This anyone from here?
https://web.facebook.com/viralizedoffic ... 648902469/

Post subject: Re: Iguana
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had a lot of those large iguanas here in S FL, especially in Matheson County Park just southwest of Miami on Biscayne Bay, until a hard freeze 5 yrs ago. They are coming back of course.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOVE that video. It was great.

I've seen this guy before on youtube and think he's in Key West. Recognize the blue boat which is rare. Cool dude.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea those crazy things have overran the keys all the way up now. They are an invasive species, we are told to kill them if we get the chance. We had one about 3-4ft long in our back yard in key west, he was huge. I can't kill anything so I threw him over the high fence in our back yard, now he's the neighbors problem. They are especially bad from cujoe key south, you typically see quite a few of them along us 1 along side the road just sunning and hangin out.
It would be nice if they developed a taste for chicken. I've been tryin to train the 6 toed cats to develop a taste for chicken also. There are a gazzilian wild chickens and wild 6 toe cats in key west, just sayin.
FE

Post subject: Re: Iguana5
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Yea those crazy things have overran the keys all the way up now. They are an invasive species, we are told to kill them if we get the chance. We had one about 3-4ft long in our back yard in key west, he was huge. I can't kill anything so I threw him over the high fence in our back yard, now he's the neighbors problem. They are especially bad from cujoe key south, you typically see quite a few of them along us 1 along side the road just sunning and hangin out.
It would be nice if they developed a taste for chicken. I've been tryin to train the 6 toed cats to develop a taste for chicken also. There are a gazzilian wild chickens and wild 6 toe cats in key west, just sayin.
FE

We had two of theese critters as pets in the family many years ago, pretty cool and laidback animals.
In the south american countries they breed iguanas for food. Iguanas are vegetarian and have a rather fast growht rate. They are supposed to taste like chicken... no suprise there! LOL! Guess I would have to be very hungry to try it! :D

The guy on the video Steve have a YouTube channel (that I follow) that is pretty nice. Lots of fishing tips around the keys. He uses an old AI with an outboard and a 4 stroke but I have never seen him sail it. Lots of tips about launch sites and other useful stuff on his channel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahaa, that's perfect ( tastes like chicken).
Whenever we would go down there, there were always friends and family with kids, sometimes ten-12 people who always wanted to go. Everyone else always has a blast, I end up just working on the stupid house.
Always the kids want to feed the stupid stray 6 toed cats ( yea they all have six toes on their front feet). So we always get cat food, I insist it be chicken flavor, I tell the kids that's the cats favorite.
We have fishing line along the top of fence around the compound, but the chickens still get in and make a huge mess.
My evil scheme all these years has been to train the cats to develop a taste for chicken, to halpfully control the chicken, (and now Iguana) population. Obviously it didn't work. Typically by the end of the week there are a dozen cats looking in the doors every day. Key West is unique.
FE