Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Island gear weight distribution.
Please excuse me if this is really obvious (& the Australian Spelling). I saw a post of unknown date, asking about stowing gear and I think the advice was not the best.

I find in a lot of sailing conditions, having most of the weight close to the centre of dynamic boyancy/ the middle of the boat, allows the boat to quickly respond to tiller/ wind/ wave changes.

If you balance a lot of back deck weight with a similar amount in the bow hatch, the boat will sit at an ok angle. BUT.
A problem can occur if you quickly need the bow to lift, the boat to turn, or to heel in response to a wind or navigational change, gust or unexpected waves. That mass at both ends of the craft has to be moved to allow the desired response.

I have got round this problem by having heavy gear in wet bags on the tramps up close to the rear TI AKA and in close to the hull. AIs may need to have the gear further forward.
I suspect the sweet spot would be close to the ‘down position’ of the dagger board.

Where I live, on the Australian Gippsland lakes you can sail the whole 70km length on one reach. I sometimes tradeoff reduced pounding with a bow that is less responsive to waves (read wetter ride) by having some weight out from the middle of the boat.

If you are having trouble visualising this, hook full 2 litre or gallon water bottles on the ends of a broom handle. Hold it in the middle & turn quickly.
Now hang the bottles off your belt & try turning with the stick.
Compare both turns.
It’s much easier with the weight on your belt. If you had the weights out at the ends, you could snap the broom handle with a quick turn.

If you put your TI or AI in a similar situation, you may start to break things in marginal conditions.

Weight out on the AMAs would also reduce the responsiveness of the boat.

Maybe Hobie could be interested in some AKA stowage boxes?