Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed Pro10s. Before the outboard there were many times we pedalled back in the dark because the winds died or changed direction. We always managed to get back though, thanks to the Miragedrives!
I’ve been looking forward to your review of the Suzuki 2.5 and was wondering whether you did get it to replace the OB you returned?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We all seem to agree that the outboard can be a great safety device.
Emergency steering as well as getting home against mother nature.
I purchased a made in China cheap NewConcept outboard and it lasted a couple of years.
Finally gave up spark to the plug so it adorns my back fence.
Bit the bullet and went for the Honda four stroke.
Being air cooled is very handy as I start the engine and warm up before launching.
At idling speed the clutch automatically disengages and stops the prop turning.
Just further aspects to the safety functions.
Probably other well made expensive brand names that will do well also.

Cheers,
TI Brian in South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Agreed Pro10s. Before the outboard there were many times we pedalled back in the dark because the winds died or changed direction. We always managed to get back though, thanks to the Miragedrives!
I’ve been looking forward to your review of the Suzuki 2.5 and was wondering whether you did get it to replace the OB you returned?

The sailing season ends early in Northern New England so my review of the Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard will have to wait until the Spring when I purchase one then. I sure envy those of you in warmer climates who can sail virtually year round.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may get around to this some day but it would be interesting to get RPM readings with a review of one of these outboards.

If I were going to purchase a tach now, it would probably be this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ3YMOQ/re ... B01E16UYFE

I have not tried this one but what I like about it is that the pickup sensor includes a wire your wrap around the spark plug wire PLUS a ground wire. Some of those dont have a ground wire and I think having the ground would improve the signal to noise - more reliable readings.

The Suziki 2.5 is about perfect for the TI. Prop is matched well and it has a ref limiter plus four stroke. But.. you have to deal with changing the water impeller periodically and also never start the outboard without the impeller actually pumping water. Nice power for the weight.

Someone should also measure the RPM for the Honda 2.3. As far as I can tell (from this forum), no one has ever damaged this outboard from over reving with the stock prop but I understand that someone has damaged those really small two strokes. Sure would be useful to actually measure RPM as some have messed with the prop without actually knowing if they had a problem that needed to be solved.

The Honda is of course a great little outboard but about three weeks ago I was standing next to a sailboat with the 5 hp Suziki four stroke. About 100 foot away, there was another small sailboat that had the Honda 2.3 four stroke. Both were idling and we noticed that the Honda was louder even though we were standing right next to the Suziki. This was not the 2.5 Suziki but I would guess its similar to the 5 HP Suzuki (both water cooled).

But.. that centrifugal clutch and never having to worry about the water impeller even running the outboard on the hard sure would be nice.

FYI, here is a video of that tach in the link above.. Its in Russion.. LOL.. but close enough..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... GiovbL9JjE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are probably right Walt.
It makes sense that a water jacket will reduce the noise compared to air cooled.

So you have to decide -
FOR AIR COOLED -
can start engine before launching with no water
no need to flush/drain the salt water
Honda has a clutch (others may also)
AGAINST AIR COOLED -
Noisy compared to water cooled

As in all sailing craft with motors, the best time is when the engine is killed and you sail away.

Regarding the revs, I'm not sure of the importance.
I'm certainly contemplating the tacho to record the hours for servicing.

I find that if you open the throttle to get to the speed required then ease back, the TI maintains the speed.
What is possibly more important is the prop pitch.
On my 27 foot trailer sailer with a 9 HP engine, I replaced the planing prop with a push prop.
The 9 HP wasn't enough to get the craft planing so the push prop was more efficient.

The standard prop on the Honda seems to have sufficient pitch.
I regularly tow 4 or 5 other kayaks at just above half throttle at about 4 knots.
Some two hours of towing uses about a litre of fuel.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
TI Brian in South Australia.

PS I carry ear plugs as I am sitting alongside of the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
stringy wrote:

The sailing season ends early in Northern New England so my review of the Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard will have to wait until the Spring when I purchase one then. I sure envy those of you in warmer climates who can sail virtually year round.

Thanks pro10s. Shame about your weather! I actually prefer sailing here in Spring/Autumn/Winter as it can get baking hot in Summer.

walt wrote:
I may get around to this some day but it would be interesting to get RPM readings with a review of one of these outboards.

If I were going to purchase a tach now, it would probably be this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ3YMOQ/re ... B01E16UYFE

Thanks for the heads up on that Tacho Walt. The video was great too, despite it being in Russian, as it shows clearly how to fit.
Unfortunately Amazon wanted over $50USD for postage down under. I found the same product on Ebay for under $20AUD including delivery and ordered it. So for us Aussies interested:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Tac ... 0033.m2042

Re Honda v Suzuki, yes the water cooling v air cooling is a tough one. My Suzuki had its one year service a couple of months back and the impeller was replaced, despite the service book stating it’s a two yearly job. Service cost was $177 so running costs could be higher with the Suzuki. I’m still very happy with it though as it’s never missed a beat. I estimated it had 70 hours use. The Tacho will be great for recording accurate hours! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sh_t.. just reminded me that I have never replaced my impeller yet and I have had that outboard for about 5 years now.. Maybe next year.. (hmm.. I think I have been saying that every year now..)

Occurs to me that at the price of $177 per year, I could just save that and buy a new outboard every four or five years..

I have replaced an impeller before on a Nissan 9.8 hp outboard, it was fairly easy and I had watched a youtube video on how to do it. I havent looked but there probably is a video for replacing the impeller for the Suzuki 2.5?? I think the new impeller is about $20 USD or so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a bought cheep little Tacho for the 4 stroke that will be mounted for next season. Will be doing som trials with different props on my heavy TI rig once I get it finished and start the fishing season again in the spring. Can post some results as it it comes along.
For the moment I am in a state of "winter limbo"... to much overtime and to little fishing.
/ Gustav

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried the tach on the outboard yet?

The one I bought had a single wire that you wrapped around the spark plug wire and it didnt work all that well with the Suzuki 2.5.

The one in the link above was picked because it had the "most stars" (better reviews) but also another detail which I think will matter but have not confirmed.

The one in the link also has TWO wires in the pickup - not just one like the tach I didnt think worked that well. One of the two wires gets attached to the metal chassis of the outboard and establishes a ground for the instrument. The other wire gets wrapped around the spark plug wire. I believe that the two wire pickup should be more reliable and accurate than the single wire pickup.

So.. I guess we also need a review of those cheap tachometers and I have not tried one with the two wire pickup.

You also have to figure out a setting for the tach which can be a little confusing. A two stroke can fire the plug once per rev and a four stroke can fire the plug either once every other rev or once per rev. To get it set right, you somewhat have to have an idea what the actual RPM is and then find the setting that about gives you what you expect. Not too difficult because when its set wrong, the RPM reading will be 1/2 or 2X or something like that.

About a week ago, my wife and I and some friends also on a TI did a great "water hike" on a desert lake in Arizona. We both had outboards and launched from one spot with the outboards up and not running. It was light winds at first and then almost no wind. We did a little pedal sailing and then just pedaling and ended up about 8 miles as a crow flies down the lake likely actually traveling more distance than that. Very pleasant day with great scenery. About 1.5 hours before sunset and with calm conditions, lowered the outboards and motored back at around 5.5 knots. Very pleasant day.. got in a nice water hike without worrying about how far we went, then a pleasant motor back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I'm using a bow mount Motor guide Xi3... Top speed about 5.

Will I double that to 10 if I get a random mount 2.5 gas? How fast is top speed in good conditions with one Suzuki?

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You didn’t detail what speed units you were using.
I no longer have a TI but as no one else has responded I did post this once somewhere on this forum about the max speed from a Suzuki 2.5HP on a TI using a Speedpuck for measuring.

“ I was recently able to get some accurate outboard info while motoring on a freshwater lake with no wind and solo on an empty TI but with the mast fitted.
At WOT the tacho was reading 5380 rpm. Sitting in the back seat speed maxed out at 7.2 knots.
When I moved forward and sat in the front seat or out on the haka speed hit 7.7knots.”

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The top speed is determined by the prop pitch. Whether a smaller ai or a ti the top speed from a 2.5 single engine will be around 7mph maybe a little more on flat water.
I did a lot of testing on the bow wave, and it hits the back of the boat at around 8mph, going faster than 8mph the horsepower need to go up exponentially, ( because of hull type and physics).
On my TI I had twin 2.3 hp hondas. I re-propped the engines with several different pitches.
With a 8” prop the top speed goes up to near 12mph, however because of the bow wave, the back of the boat is submerged at that speed, ( because it’s a non planing hull)
We converted our hull to a planing type hull, and got up to around 15mph top speed, ( which was max speed at that pitch, ( which you can calculate).
Our highest recorded speed with the stock motors with the 8” pitch props, wot plus all 3 sails out was a little over 20mph, ( on an Egmont key fl run, ( but we were dragging the props, ( going faster than the props were spinning). But the winds were around 20mph.
I did make a set of 10” pitch props up, ( for use with the hydrofoils), that topped out close to 25 mph, but I had to add nitrox injection to the motors to get enough horsepower to run those props, ( to get up on the foils). With all the sails out in really good wind, if you hit just the right angle to the wind, I could stay up on the foils. But it was so dangerous I retired all the souping up, and foils in around 2012, after some pretty nasty crashes and pitchpoles, ( just not worth the risk).

The trick with these boats is to use both the sails, and the outboards together, ( but you have to have higher pitch props)
Wing sails work better. Adding a hull mod to convert the hull to a planing type hull, ( similar to a weta hull shape), all give you the best bang for the buck.
We had a blast with ours
FE

Explaining the video, ( added later). The boat in the video is pointed around 10 -15 degrees off the wind, ( best performance window). The forward motion of the boat creates it’s own wind across the wing sail, which is added to the natural wind, so if the natural wind is 7mph, plus the forward motion of the boat, ( say 10mph), then the usable wind over the sails and into your face is 17 mph. The now directed and accelerated wind is forced over the main sail in an organized fashion which creates at least half of the required propulsive power to propel the boat. The engines are always set at around 1/4 throttle producing around 1hp each, ( around 2300 rpm), but because of the high pitch props, even at lower rpm the boat is propelled to cruising speed, by both the props and the sails, ( thus greatly reducing the hp requirements of the motors). We pretty consistently acheived 60-80 mpg fuel economy, or around 3 hrs runtime on each of the 1 liter fuel tanks. We typically carried 100-200 miles worth of fuel on board, ( just in case). Our daily range was a little over 100 miles, ( keep in mind the keys are huge), and we were mostly offshore, sometimes great distances out.
I always pedal for added power, ( and exercise). The mirage drives were retrofitted with eclipse fins, which provide useful propulsion up to around 20mph, ( standard fins are only good to maybe 10-12 mph before they become useless). However those fins require tremendous leg strength at lower speeds.
We seldom ever took the boat out in winds over 7mph, and flat water.
Hopefully this helps in calculations of speed and horsepower requirements, we ran this setup for around 7 yrs with few changes on three different TI’s we owned. We had to quit because of health reasons.
https://youtu.be/a1OjgyqBsXk?si=U_SSdMn7CT3XDpdk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng,

Love the work you did on pushing the limits with the highly modified TI. A true beast.

That Egmont key fl run must have been one for the ages!

As for my experience with the stock TI and stock Suzuki 2.5 HP DF short shaft, standard prop, gas outboard....

- I rarely run it at full throttle, most of the time just 25% or 50% of max throttle.

- Speeds I see run in the 5 to 6.5 mph at these reduced throttle settings. The prop pitch dictates this.

- As with fusioneng, with the sails up, and when the wind picks up, the sail power quickly overpowers the motor and I just turn off the motor and lift up the prop because the prop is just dragging and slowing down the TI at that point.

- Main use for the motor remains: Safety (running from storms, fighting unfavorable head winds or currents, covering long distances when the wind dies....). Max speed is a non issue. Overall power and reliability are key.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim:
Agreed, your setup is perfect for 99% of users of AI’s and TI’s.
And you are correct, with good wind, ( which we seldom had) the boat will do better if you raise the motor, otherwise you are just dragging the prop.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've researched and reported on many TI/AI motors, both gas and electric. You can read my reviews in this forum on all of them..
The key takeaway is that any motor is better than none, and for difficult conditions, you would be very wise to install one on your TI/AI. Personally, I would not think of going out on the water without one.