Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aka rivets coming loose
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was washing down my TI and noticed that the rivets that hold the Akas into the hinges are loosened up. Has anyone else had this problem and should a drill them out and replace them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had several TI's and on the older models it was a problem, (loose rivets on pre 2012 or 2013 models). It's not a big job to drill them out and replace with aluminum rivets. However it's a bit of a pain to replace with stainless rivets, ( you need a special heavy duty rivet gun).
The root problem is this application is not what rivets are designed for. And whatever rivets you put in will fail quickly, if you don't fix the root cause of the problem.
The problem is the looseness of the tubes in the holes. When you drill the rivets out remove the tubes and clean them and the holes up. Then when putting the tubes back in smear them with something so they can't move or wiggle, (I used silicone, but any good marine caulk/ filler or adhesive will work fine. Marine epoxy will also work I'm sure.
Just goop up the tubes, slide them in, then rivet in place. Any type of rivet will work with no issues, (once you have the wiggling issue fixed of course).
Basically you are filling the void/ gap around the tube and the knuckle so it can't move.
Newer models are supposed to come with those tubes epoxied in place. If the boat is still under warranty, (2 yrs), take it to your dealer, it's their problem to fix.
Hope this helps
FE
Edit: on all my boats I always soak all the rivets and metal on the boat with clearcoat when the boat is new, (prevents galvanic corrosion).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie has a repair kit available which comes with rivets and epoxy, part #81412001.

Ask your dealer. It should be free if you are under warranty, and maybe even if you are not.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=56701&start=0#p268160

-Chris

Texas, USA