Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will be staying at Princeton, FL 33032 for 4 days from dec 17 to 22.
Hope to get some info here
- your favorite boat ramp
- state specific rules and regulations for boating and fishing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had a week long reservation at John pennenkamp in mid october, that had to be cancelled, the park was heavily damaged in the hurricane and the park was closed. I believe the park re-opened a couple weeks ago, I know the mangrove trails are still closed, and the visiter center may still be closed.
I don't recommend snorkeling in any enclosed areas yet (high bacteria levels still), but visability out in open water has returned, I think around 40-50 ft recently. The water temp will be between 75 and 80f, we typically take our 3mm wetsuits along, but we don't nessesarily put them on if we don't plan on going snorkeling or diving, ( they get very uncomfortable and stinky in a couple hrs if you don't go in the water. We keep ours behind our seats, and have practiced putting them on in the water, (mine is a 3mm shorty wetsuit), if anything goes wrong.
If going offshore, don't get crazy and go way out there, (especially if the boat is just stock and not heavily hardened, with outboard backup). The waters there are pretty dangerous offshore , (not apparent).
We don't do much over on the gulf side, ( florida bay) most of it is too shallow and muddy, and boring to us, but I'm sure guys like Kieth can steer you to really nice and fun areas, (most of what we do revolves around diving and snorkeling, not fishing, and we only day sail).
I don't know much about Biscayne bay, hopefully others will chirp up here.
We are west coasters, (near Tampa), and spend most of our time either there or way down in key west, (way far from miami). Though we have been drift diving just north of there, ( near Boca) a few times, but that's it.
It's a royal pain to launch on the gulf side, then go over to the atlantic side, ( only two places to cross, and both are a royal pain without engines.
Hope this helps
FE
Be especially cautious in offshore winds, high chances of getting blown out to sea, and not be able to get back in, ( a stock TI is not capable enough upwind to risk it, which is how we got in serious trouble many times).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks FE.
no plans to go offshore...
i just want to have a good time slow sailing along Biscayne bay..
Also changed our iterenary to two nights at Miami and two nights at key largo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Nap,

The only part of Biscayne Bay that I'm familiar with is south of Rickenbacher Causeway to Matheson Hammock County Park. Here is an image of that area. I only launch from Matheson Hammock park boat ramps, although there is a launch up near Dinner Key. The pictures shown here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=990 were taken in the Matheson Hammock Park area. All of it was beat up by Hurricane Irma which passed near the area on Sept 12.

I am out of town from Dec 13-31, so I will miss your visit. I'm happy to try to answer any questions you may have. BTW, Key Largo and further south got hit very hard by Hurricane Irma. I'm sure they have much of it cleaned up, but it is still likely recovering.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you Keith.
I have zero knowledge about the area so will just use this perfect map you provided.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Blackwater sound on the gulf side of largo is perfect for the beginner. Completely enclosed, no way to get blown out to sea. Big enough for a few hours of sailing, but not sure where a ramp is to enter. Worth looking into though.
Also, it has been a few decades but we sailed in Biscayne bay, went out on the causeway and the first area on the right was a public beach. Tons of boats, a great place to put in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you. That's where I belong. I will check those places you mentioned.

Now the challenging part of this trip is where to store the trailer with the AI when roaming around Miami or Key Largo.
My two sons age 24 and 30 are not interested in fishing nor sailing so I need to find a daily storage where I can park the trailer when busy driving around with them. Anyone been in the same situation where you're trying to multi task trying to squeeze in your own agenda in a family vacation? There will be days I'll just give them money good for the whole day so they don't miss me :).
I'll check U Haul, they may have daily storage rate.

I did not make any reservation because I don't want to be tied up in one place. We'll find a place to stay for the night on a daily basis using HIPMUNKS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have checked that Miami is one of the best location to spend holidays with the family which gives the best option for the travel.I have tried to check about the Vacation Packages which offer the best plan for the traveling to the beech in easy way.This helps to understand the importance of holidays in easy way.