Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have insurance, full coverage for $5k, through Boat US. It doesn't allow any "performance enhancements". Should I assume this means the spinnaker kit? Or this is for like a diy performance add on (spin to jib)?
Does anyone here have full coverage with a foresail? If so, who covered ya? TY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My guess is that this refers to powerboats (nitrous, extractors, turbos etc) and would not mean different sails. Easy to call them to confirm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, that has been the plan. However, I was hoping this post would help reveal what insurance companies like covering islands.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have had several TI's, and we travel a lot all over the country with ours either on the roof or pulled on a trailer. Our insurance agent strongly suggested that we title and register the boat, ( nothing to do with options like massive sail sets and outboards really, besides what you state as the replacement cost).
As she explained it, kayaks are stolen all the time (similar to bikes), and are a misdemeaner and typically not recovered, even if found they just go in a big pile (like bikes) at police auctions. Powerboats are a totally different story, if someone had stolen our $80k Sea Ray, ( or any titled boat worth over $5k), would be a felony similar to grand theft auto. And that HID number or the motor serial numbers can never be registered again, and completely tracable nationwide, (if ever found abandoned you get it back).

Makes perfect sense to me, so I always register our TI's/trailers and provide all the information to our car insurance company, ( same as we do with our camper). We had ours valued at around $10k with all the sails, goodies, and twin Honda outboards. Probably a good idea to record the serial numbers on your outboards, Lorance sonar systems, etc, and take video or pics of the whole system.
I highly recommend if you go offshore that you get a boat us membership (available at West Marine), (seatow is another one). It's like $125/yr and if you breakdown or get stranded out there, they come get you and your boat, or deliver gas, (without a membership, if you run out of gas the bill will be $300 or more, (just sayin), and a tow can be thousands. Of course you can call the coast guard, they will save you but not your boat, typically they either sink it with their 50 cal or it goes on a salvage list, then licensed salvagers get it (law of the sea), and it can cost you many thousands to get your boat back. Basically it's a mad dash for them to put their sticker on the boat, ( they are all out their trolling).
We have used boatus several times, ( they monitor fm channel 16, or you can sometimes reach them via cell, (good idea to store their number on your phone, (the service includes any boat you are on btw, even if it's not yours), since we are divers and offshore a lot, we have used ours on other peoples boats a few times, ( just towing in a 24 footer from a few miles out can be a couple grand (fyi, way more if the salvagers get it). Obviously it a racket, that's why you see all those tow services trolling around all the popular areas, (laying in wait for the next drunk dummy who ran aground (lol, happens a lot here in the gofast boat capital of the world))
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks FG. That''s good info to share and put out there. I passed my captain license in the past and have owned and raced on several sailboats, some powerboat ownership too so I know what you are talking about. Imho, I think your assessment is a little too bleak. In my experience in the sailing community a fellow sailor is often nearby and happy to help and not out for making a quick buck on someones losses (like salvage rights). But maybe it is more cut throat over in your sailing grounds?

Also, one of the reasons I went with a TI was the fact I didn't have the costs and headache of registering it and my insurance has never mentioned the need to do so. I've Boat US, the largest boat insurance underwriter out there, especially now that Geico acquired them (or is it the other way around?). I have considered mounting a spot device if we end up taking her coastal or if we end up leaving it somewhere unattended for hours/days at a time without watchful eyes. It would aid in safety, helps with a float plan, plus we could track it down in a case of theft.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How much is a Boat US membership? Does it come with their insurance? I had their insurance before, but don’t think I had that “AAA for boats” service you described. This was years ago, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Renewing shortly.
Boat US will not let me have it in the water with the big boat it insures. It is considered a dinghy to them and max loa is 16'.
Even more awful Progressive is bumping up the policy from $500 -$660!!! Never a claim with any boats insured with them or other co.'s. But they allow me to keep it in the water with the big boat (at 18' it's too big and heavy to constantly splash every use), so leaving her in the water for a few days is nice and I may look into a thin floating dock.

Any other options I should be looking at? I could see about making my Dad a partner on it (he needs the excerise lol) and add it onto his homeowners. Anyone use Allstate? Some other company I am not thinking of?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorv wrote:
Renewing shortly.
Boat US will not let me have it in the water with the big boat it insures. It is considered a dinghy to them and max loa is 16'.
Even more awful Progressive is bumping up the policy from $500 -$660!!! Never a claim with any boats insured with them or other co.'s. But they allow me to keep it in the water with the big boat (at 18' it's too big and heavy to constantly splash every use), so leaving her in the water for a few days is nice and I may look into a thin floating dock.

Any other options I should be looking at? I could see about making my Dad a partner on it (he needs the excerise lol) and add it onto his homeowners. Anyone use Allstate? Some other company I am not thinking of?

I insure my TI via my homeowner's policy. The cost for full coverage including liability, theft, fire, and collision is only $78 per year, and that also includes the trailer. I had no idea this was even possible until I contacted my local Insurance Agency. I told them I needed insurance for my new boat and they suggested adding it to my homeowner's policy rather than getting a separate policy. Ingenious.

Many people deal with insurance companies directly these days, however I've discovered that a good Insurance Agency will always get you the best deals because they know all the options and prices. I now always use them because they've saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

If you don't use an Insurance Agency, then contact your homeowner's insurance company directly and see if you can add your boat to your existing policy. Since the TI is classified as only a kayak, it can be added to many homeowner's policies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used State Farm, they wouldn't bundle it with anything, but for full coverage (trailer, motor, GPS, etc...) is about $550 yr. . That's with $0 deductible and receipts for everything.