Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's that for?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've got the new 2018 TI assembled and in the driveway. I have a few questions on things, maybe you guys can help...

1. I thought they were Hobie unbreakable rubber shot glasses! Turns out they are "scupper cups" which was a bit of a letdown. Sadly figured that out this morning flipping through the catalog. :cry:

2. On the tramps, why are there two grommets on the side closest to the kayak?

3. On the cover, why do the straps have a Velcro'd loop on the top?

4. On the cover, are the loops on the bottom for bungee cords?

5. Do you guys store the paddles on the tramps? Seems like they take up a lot of space.

6. How do you strap the boat to the trailer for towing? I read not to use ratchet straps. I have the Hobie trailer with the cradles. I'm use to other boats where they get winched in the front and ratchet straps in the back. This island (Middle Caicos) is only about 15 miles across, so I'm not going very far, but of course I don't want to lose the boat on the road.

7. On the 180 turbo mirage drive, the manual talks about adjusting the tension. Is that tension for more resistance in the water? So say I should have a tighter tension than my wife since I'm stronger?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I put it in the water. Thanks for any help! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: What's that for?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can only answer #6, but....

I have my TI on a galv. boat trailer with the Hobie saddles. The boat sits so that the saddles are right around the seats/mirage wells. I run a rope across all 3 hulls (which I know hobie says not to do), and I snug it down a little bit (honestly not that tight). I put towels between the amas and the main hull to protect against scuffing. I also have a winch on the front that is attached to the front padeye. The boat isn't going anywhere unless I flip the thing, which in that case I have bigger issues.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

1) You can use them as shot glasses! Why not! :) Not really needed otherwise.

2) The grommets on the inboard side are lashing / lanyard attachment points. You can geep gear from falling overboard and being lost.

3) The loop keeps the strap in position.

4) Lower loops are for tying down in case of winds or travel.

5) Without the MD180... you needed a paddle ready to help you stop or back down. Maybe not as necessary anymore.

6) I agree with the above to hold down in the cradles... but not tight. The bow line keeps it from moving aft off the bow stop.

7) You may want to leave them loose to start. Get used to it. Tighter can make it a slower cadence which is good at speed. It does make it harder to pedal. It's kinda like pedaling a bike from a stop in a higher gear.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies

1) Rum!

2) Noted. Do not lanyard the wife (kidding!)

3) The loop I'm asking about is on the top. It almost looks like the mast would slip under the loops. I've been putting the mast under the cover bungee'd down at the front and back, spread across the top of the folded down chairs.

4) Got it, makes it hurricane proof!

5) Ah, paddle helps when in shallow water. Finding things out now that I've taken it out twice.

6) I get why a winch would be nice to have now. The trailer puts the boat up way higher than it should be. I plan on moving the rear axle forward so I can launch without putting the axle under the salt water. I'll have to play around with the tongue weight. I'm only 2 miles from the launch, and there are only 100 people on this island, so it should be easy to experiment.

7) Ah yes, like bike gears. Very cool!

Thanks again!