Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After a vigorous sail today in 45 degree weather, I noticed after pulling my mast and trailering home there were about 8 plastic ball bearings sitting in the bottom of the mast step. This probably was why furling and unfurling wasn't so smooth today.... Anyway, the bearing races appear to have some tiny minor damage on the the outer edges that is just enough have allowed a few of the the bearings to spit out. I'll probably have to buy a new bearing assembly, but just out of curiosity, how many ball bearings are there supposed to be?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've put it all back together now and and see there are enough ball to fill up the bearing all the way around. It's about 35F out here today and the balls are very easy to pop out. I now think the issue isn't damage on the bearing races, but instead that the balls are smaller due to thermal contraction. I've stuck a pool noodle in there for now. I've got a 250 mile race coming up in April and will probably replace the entire bearing before setting out on the event.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33198
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8149

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tell us about your race MM. Where you headed?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've done the Everglades Challenge a bunch of times now, so this year I decided to change it up this year for a new event. I'm doing the LRR Challenge, a race from Augusta, GA down 175 miles of the Savannah river to the ICW and then 60 miles north to Edisto Beach, SC.

http://www.lowcountryriverrats.com/lrrchallenge/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips on the bearings. I'll take another look at them when it warms up again, it's 17F today and my interest in working on the boat is low. I still think it has something to do with the cold, since there's never been an issue with my 2015 boat before. I really want to wait until it's warmer before modifying the bearing races in any way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might find it worthwhile to sand out any high spots in the mating surfaces of the bearing plates. As the balls casn only fall out during transport, that pool noodle it definitely essential (everybody should use one IMHO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would anyone recommend using a grease or lubricant to minimise wear to these bearings?

I understand that if sand gets into there it would be more of an issue but if done sparingly...?

Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Update: There are 24 balls in there.

I tried sanding the backs of bearing carriers flat, but it really doesn't help. Talking to another Watertriber, he said the delrin balls wore some on his, they are are supposed to be 0.375" new and he measured some of his at 0.372". I figure between the wear on the races and some potential wear on the balls, it would be best to just replace everything. It probably doesn't help there's some slight damage on the edges of my bearing races either. I've ordered all new everything and hopefully that will keep balls from dropping out when pulling the rig on the water to clear bridges, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

New bearing races and delrin balls seems to have solved my issue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In case anyone else is finding it hard to find a store with pool noodles when it's pretty cold outside, I found 2" SCH40 PVC is exactly the right size to fill the hole.

I'm finding that the bearings are falling out even when I'm carefully taking the mast out. I had a ball fall out and rolled out the mirage drive hole... it took me 5 minutes to find it in the muddy water. I've hand-tightened all the screws as tight as I dare (very tight), and balls are still falling out. Is this kinda normal or should I be talking to Hobie? Needless to say, it's a nuisance; it's only a matter of time before I lose a ball and have to buy some spares.

Also, getting the balls out of the mast receiver is a real pain in the a**. Any tricks recommended other than flipping the boat over? I resort to shooting air in with my little compressor and waiting for the balls to go flying like lottery balls on TV, then hunting for them on the ground...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy way to retrieve delrin bearing balls from the bottom of the mast receiver is to place a dab of petroleum jelly (or similar) on the bottom of a stick, and lift the balls out one at a time.

If sanding the mating surfaces flatter doesn't help, just buy a new set of balls, they are not expensive. Add thwe pool noodle and you are good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tony, does that petro jelly trick work if they're wet? My first thought was duct tape on the end of a stick, but the dampness ruined that idea. Petro jelly sounds more likely, but I don't think that mast receiver has been truly dry once since the first day I sailed. The driest I ever get it somewhere between "really damp" and "a very thin pool of water".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a device I made to extract the balls.

https://youtu.be/WMXgutDj-HM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After two years of reasonably heavy usage, I also lost the balls one day. Measuring everything showed it was due to wear.
To remove the balls from the bottom of the mast hole, I simply used a shop vac. First time I just vacuumed them all up, them retrieved them from the shop vac bucket. Next time I used a narrow attachment on the end of the vac hose with a piece of duct tape, so the balls would be held by the vac, but not sucked into the bucket, which allowed me to remove them 3 or 4 at a time.