Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the upper two V Frame studs has sheered off. Looking for recommendations on possible next steps.

To be clear, this is NOT the stud shown here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=66542

It is one of the two studs on the top side of the V Frame. It is the older 1/4-20 version, the one tightened with a hex tool rather than the newer stronger 17-4 SS one tightened with a flat head.

It sheered off when I was tightening the lock nut securing the upper V Frame strut. It is not sheered off flat, but with approximately 1/8 inch protruding. Though my attempts to remove it have failed. First by attempting to grab it with channel lock grip and mole (vice) grip pliers. Then by dremeling a groove into it to use a flat head screwdriver on a torque wrench. Both removal attempts made after many applications of WD40 over the course of a day.

The issue isn’t rust, it was just removed and cleaned. Before being replaced using blue locktite. I think the issue is it was overtightened, while bottomed out, and the threads have bitten into the housing. I’m at a total loss as how to remove it. Suggestions on removal OR recommendations on workaround fixes welcome.

Spoke to one machine/welding shop and their conclusion was that there isn't enough left to weld a bolt on. They said the only way to get it out would be to drill it out and retap the hole. I'm taking it to them tomorrow to see if it can be done.

Does anyone know what material the stud screws into? It looks like some sort of metal nut that is set into another different type of metal frame. Knowing the housing material might help the machine shop in extracting the stud.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SOLUTION:

Removed the crossbar, dremeled away some plastic to access the underlying housing, drilled out the stud from the outside of the boat using cobalt drill bit and then an extractor bit, retapped the housing in 1/4-20, small piece of plastic over the hole to prevent epoxy from going down into the threads, filled hole with epoxy.

Time to order those new 17-4 SS studs. Don’t want to do that whole ordeal again…