Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Repairing a TI hull
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
We have had quite a few TI's since 2010, 17 miles with just 1 inch of water is actually pretty good for these boats.
We checked and inspected all of our boats repetedly and never found any major issues like cracked hulls, etc.
We have laid towels in the hull to try and find leak areas many times, it appears water comes in pretty much everywhere, a little here and a little there from all the hatches, the rudder tubes, etc, but the most comes in from the front hatch, even in pretty calm water, and even when just kayaking.
Many times we would go out sailing a couple hrs, and returned with the stern under water with 5 or more gallons of water in the hull. It's just the nature of the beast, and it's a good idea to carry a pump, (I have two).
When going offshore in known rough conditions, we often taped garbage bags over the main hatch and the rear round hatches. I never found a solution.
FE

I do disagree!
You should never accept water inside your hull. I have struggled hard to get my Ai hull 100% watertight but there will still enter a small amount of water.
Every time I open the middle hatch (just in front of me where I am sitting) some spoons of water get in, VERY annoying.
And yes, rudder line intakes are also leaking but can be fixed to 80%.
I never have anymore than two cups of water inside, even after hours of sailing in water that comes all over the hull (and me :lol: ).
And still, I do NOT accept this water inside the hull where all my gear is loaded. Will continue to work for 100% watertight hull.

BR Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree KDP! I'm not as good as you, but I agree, fix the leaks!!! All of my boats, 4 AIs, 1 AI 2, 1 TI, have not had serious leaks, but some boats do, and, in general, Hobie is of no help. Good luck Bob and let us know if you can find the source of your leak(s), and how you fix them.

I carry a hand pump for emergencies...like my capsize a couple years ago. But, if you feel you need an electric pump to keep up with the leaks, FIX THE LEAKS!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was recently able to find 3 leaks on a sot kayak. Placing my yak on flat ground, I started filling the boat through the open hatch. No leaks st half full. I then closed the hatch and started rotating the boat. I then found where water spilled out of the hull. 2 bungee cords and an unsealed rivet hole. A super simple method.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Call me lazy, but after putting silicone spray on hatch seals, adding a 10mm yoga mat "gasket" to the forward hatch, I simply accept that a small amount of water will enter the hull.

Then, I simply use a bunch of dry bags to keep valuable items dry

Much less stress!