Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, EVERYTHING depends on whether you are using your boat in saltwater or not. I have never sailed/kayaked in anything but saltwater. Also, never loaded my AI/AI 2/TI on to my roof rack...always used a trailer for those. I did, years ago, load plenty of sea kayaks onto my roof rack...and rusted out a Ford Bronco and Toyota 4-Runner.

hjdca--time will tell...

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update - EZ Rec Rack system

https://www.ezrecreationalracks.com/

I've kept searching the interwebs and found a potential solution, at least for freshwater use. Would still require fitness level that would allow a single user to lift at least 50% of the weight, but fulcrum effect means you wouldn't have to lift it far or handle the weight too long. It was really designed more for loading fishing kayaks, but appears like it could handle a TI, maybe with slight modification. Anyway, this is my plan - find a relatively recent model year and not-too-far away used TI, and buy one of these for my SUV. Cheaper than a trailer, but more importantly, would allow us to bring our teardrop trailer and still take the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you get a TMI, definitely trailer it. I had a 2017 TMI that I sold last month because it was getting to be a bit much for me. I'm 67 and have a bad shoulder; trailer launching from a regular boat ramp was getting a little challenging. I trailered mine with a RAV4, and you'd almost think it wasn't there; I was able to see 30 mpg while towing it. Maintenance on them is almost a non-issue. I had a blast with mine, and I'm sure you will too if decide to grab one. The Mirage drives are really easy to pedal, and the exercise is great. There were a lot of days when I never even used the sail, and spent the day pedaling. If you have questions, the support from everyone on this site is awesome. Go ahead and pull the trigger on a TMI, you'll be glad you did!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6