Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not read all the posts on this topic, but wanted to share my experience with both the AI and TI. I bought the AI, and loved it. Decided I wanted to be able to take out my son and wife, so bought a TI too. Yes, I owned both for about 6 months...what happened next really surprised me. The family was not really into it, so I found myself using the TI alone. It was more challenging to launch, required more equipment (seat, etc.) so was a bit (not a lot) more effort. But I really prefer the AI over the TI. I felt silly sitting all the way in the back by myself (or in the front) and it did not turn as easily. I think it may have been a little faster, but not much. Peddling alone was definitely more effort--a lot more effort. Sailing the TI alone was just not as enjoyable as the AI so I sold the TI and only have the AI now. My kid can ride behind be or on the tramp if he wants, and the wife stays on shore. So my opinion is that if you are going to be alone most of the time, get the AI. Otherwise, get the TI, but I think the AI is all around more fun to sail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Itiming, what a wicked setup! That's another option we talked about instead of a regular boat trailer and having to go with a bigger towing rv style vehicle. We talking about modifying one of the trailer sides to fold down into a deck for lounging and bbqing, sorta like a toy haulers rear door porch. We went with an older high top conversion van. We have also considered buying a popup tent camper and towing it on top of it.. But as you would know the utility of the enclosed cargo trailer has major plusses.

You said you car topped, was it on a car or that nice tall class b? I was wondering, how much easier is it to cargo trailer top vs car top whatever vehicle you had it on? I have a high top conversion van so car topping seems even more of a no. However, just today I was looking at racks for high top vans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Remember that car topping any kayak/boat that has been in the saltwater will inevitably lead to rust.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When we car topped, it was with an older Land Rover, with 2 high tower racks 7 feet from ground level. These trips were mostly to Lake Superior. We got the cargo van about 5 years ago, the height is 8 ft from ground to the factory installed rack (3 of them). Loading the Land Rover was easy, only needed a step stool. I need a ladder for the cargo van's height. The main van issue is working on the TI when it is on the roof.

To ease that extra height, I added a plywood deck across the cargo trailer's racks (4 ft wide by 12 ft long with a 2.5 ft front triangle to match the trailer's roof). By using a folding ladder, it is easy to get on the roof and then stand anywhere on the trailer's roof--which other wise is aluminum and would not take the point load. I added a layer of coreoplast on top of the plywood, and then added 14 foot pipe covered with PVC--also extended the pipes front and rear to ease loading. The plywood deck speeds the loading and tie-down. Still need a ladder, but once up there, I can quickly move to all the points.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jacksonbigtuna wrote:
Remember that car topping any kayak/boat that has been in the saltwater will inevitably lead to rust.

That is an under statement. Major rust. Rooftop, yes, but all over. And, it will be sooner rather than later.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
I resemble that remark, we have trashed and rusted out the roofs on two different Yukon Denali's ($70k vehicles), the roof was so bad on one it had to be replaced. We wore out 3 of those yukon denali's, (we travel a lot). We ended up switching to the Sierra Denali truck as our current vehicle, because of the rust issues with car topping using our SUV's.
It is a problem to be aware of.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

itiming wrote:
FWIW, we did not have the trailer when we picked up the TI, but it fit inside the class B RV (disassembled)--not a routine approach, but we used it once.

Holy cow- how did you fit a TI inside of an ERA??!? Love to see a picture of that. Disassembled yes, but I would think you would have to leave the back doors open or something!

Love to see the pictures of your trailer. I might do something like that or rig some way to put it on top of my RV without effort, if I can come up with one.

Depending on how I travel the first year, a 20 foot trailer might turn out to be great. Get a storage unit for it when I want to go to national parks and then pick it back up when I want to boondock.

Top of RV and trailer would both be full of solar panels (main reason for putting the boat inside, or at least have a roof over the boat, rather than a fully enclosed trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to hear the recommendations for the AI. I am leaning that way already.

Good point about rust— no amount of paint will prevent rocks from scratching up the roof.

Could I Rhino line it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jay2018 wrote:
Good point about rust— no amount of paint will prevent rocks from scratching up the roof.

Rocks are not a problem. Saltwater, any amount of saltwater, dripping onto your vehicle roof is going to cause rust...again, sooner rather than later.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
Hobby Island? Then buy green fishing lights? This sounds great.

Yeah, hahahahaha.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another option (what i am going to do in a year or two)

F250 with a Livin Lite Toy hauler

Then i plan to haul my TI and Sups on my Trailex trailer in the toy hauler. The queen is a happy jack so if I can’t unload the trailer at the destination it will be tight in the TH but doable. If you went with an AI you would have even more room.

Side note: you said you like 8020 if so you would love trailex they are like the adult version of 8020! I have a stock of extrusions that i use to make racks and the sort.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A friend of mine bought a converted Toyota 30 seat bus, and cut a hole in the back over the motor, through which she stuffed her Asventure Island, for transport. She added that the interior was still (sorta) livable when the aisle was clogged up with AI :D :D

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
jacksonbigtuna wrote:

That is an under statement. Major rust. Rooftop, yes, but all over. And, it will be sooner rather than later.
Keith

Not just rust... I used to haul two Outfitters on the roof of a fairly new Red Dodge Dakota truck with a couple saltwater vacations each year. In three years the paint on the hood, fenders, doors, A-pillars, and forward roof was completely ruined. Badly faded, uneven milky color, rough surface. (My wife decided to give it a wash at a high school fundraiser and all their rags and towels turned red! :oops: ) Though those parts didn't rust (like the bumper and other bits), the saltwater ate through the clearcoat and completely destroyed the paint. That's why we got a trailer...

Peter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Similar story here, we travel a lot with Hobies on the roof and our camper in tow. The hitch was occupied by the camper so we couldn’t use the boat trailer except locally with two cars.
We wore out three GMC Yukon Denalis, all had the roofs rusted out from hauling kayaks on the roof. The last one actually had to have the entire roof removed and replaced. Our most recent vehicle is a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali where we put the boat over the truck bed on Thule Aero racks, thinking it was a good idea.
The wife recently had a fender bender and the truck went to the body shop at the local Cadillac dealer. When done the truck looked like brand new everywhere, except the roof which is now dull with several small blemishes here and there, (concerning, given our bad history and experience with such things).
We loved our TI’s ( I wouldn’t want to own anything else) but it’s a royal pain to cartop them, ( it’s the only car toppable boat in this class in existance that I know of). Your not going to get a 450lb Windrider 17 up on your roof, ( just sayin).
Plus our boat was way more capable IMO, where we used kayak mode almost half the time when traveling, (leaving all the sails, AMA’s, and outboards back at the campsite).
There has to be a solution, wish we had thought about it more before getting our current camper.
Actually getting the boat up and down was never a big deal, we tend to stay most places a week or two, and just get the boat down when we arrive, then pack it up when we leave, we typically just park on shore, or leave the boat setup at the campsite while there and go out a couple times a day. But the wear and tear on the $70k plus vehicles is extreme.
FE

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

plfinch wrote:
Chekika wrote:
jacksonbigtuna wrote:

Keith

Not just rust... I used to haul two Outfitters on the roof of a fairly new Red Dodge Dakota truck with a couple saltwater vacations each year. In three years the paint on the hood, fenders, doors, A-pillars, and forward roof was completely ruined. Badly faded, uneven milky color, rough surface. (My wife decided to give it a wash at a high school fundraiser and all their rags and towels turned red! :oops: ) Though those parts didn't rust (like the bumper and other bits), the saltwater ate through the clearcoat and completely destroyed the paint. That's why we got a trailer...

Peter

Hi Guys, I have not had a problem with rusted or stained roof and my truck has the original paint job. I do keep my truck, washed, garaged and waxed, but, by the time I get the TI across the sand, turned sideways, taken apart, and loaded, there is really no water that drips on the roof. I use PVC bunks on 4 Yakima roof racks and slide the TI on from the rear using the cart on the rear holes. Even with the drain open in the back, no salt water hits my Land Cruiser. The Sail is bagged, and it may drip out the rear, but, that does not hit my truck. Akas are inside the truck. I have been doing this since 2015 with no problem. How are you guys getting so much water on your roof and the side of your trucks ? See pic of my TI loaded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next