Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently brought a new Adventure Island complete with spinnaker kit and there's one major problem I have with furling the sail. I'm finding the top of the sail continually tangles with the spinnaker backstay and halyard when furling the sail particularly when the spinnaker is in the snuff bag. The only successfully way I can manage it is to furl the sail very very slowly. I've noticed other comments about this and I would be really grateful if someone out there could help me out either with some practical sailing tips or a modification of some sort.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Common issue now fixed with a new part you can order. See the following thred..

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 5&start=15

Once purchased, it should solve the problem without the need for further modification. I have yet to get mine so I can not comment on how effective it is.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib
2012 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rotating mast topper is the key component to expanding your TI to it's full potential. Once you have a mast topper it's really easy to add all kinds of sails, (jibs, spinnakers, wings, and multiple sails).
We bought our first TI in april 2010 on a Thursday and got washed out to sea that same afternoon and couldn't get back in. The culprit was the lack of performance of the boat, and the inability to point and sail upwind, from offshore. Pointing 50 degrees off the wind was un-acceptable. Sure the boat sails, but your vmg ends up being negative.
The spinnaker kit doesn't fix that severe problem, a jib is needed for upwind performance.
Fortunately once you get a nice mast topper that works and is reliable, it's pretty darn easy to also add a nice jib for upwind performance. We found out by very hard knocks that if you improve the downwind performance you must also increase the upwind performance if you want a well balanced boat.

I got lucky when I designed and built my mast topper on the second day I owned the boat. Been using the same exact mast topper for 8 yrs with never any issues.

It never dawned on me until recently why my mast topper worked fine and hobies didn't, (similar designs).
The key difference is my mast topper is seven inches taller than Hobies, (above everything).
Sorry I didn't realize this until recently, I'm pretty confident Hobies recent fix will fix most issues.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just sharing here,,,
Another thing we did for a while is the pulleys for the sail control lines and the spinnaker stay line all tie to the stainless clip about 15 inches from the stern of the boat, all that stuff makes that area very busy. Also when sitting in the back seat that sail control line ends up right at neck level, (the main reason I hate sitting in the back).
For a while we added a pvc H bar to our motor mount to raise the sail control line, but discovered when raising that control line very high, it kind of messed up sail performance, (pulls from wrong angle).
What I did was to run a couple loops of spectra rudder string around the rudder gudgeon, then attached the sail control pulleys and the spinnaker stay line about 15 inches further back on the boat.
Didn't seem to effect sailing performance, but did give me a little more room under the sail control line when sitting in the back. It also raised the spinnaker rear stay line so it's less likely to get tangled in the sail.

Obviously nobody will try it , (nobody ever does), I'm just sharing because it worked well for us. The only downside is if you have outboards, it's now possible to get the sail control lines tangled into the outboards if you don't also add a goal post to the motor mount, (shaped in an 'H'), to kind of guide and keep the sail control line centered, so it can't tangle into the motors.
On our goal post we mounted our removable night time white running light on one side. When we were operating our boat at night sometimes, because when running the outboards, ( in get out of dodge emergency mode),the boat could easily cruise at up to 15mph we pretty much had to have full night time running lights, (red, green, white). We had two complete sets of removable LED running lights, mainly because they are seldom used, and when stored inside the hull in salt water environments, they tend to be extremely un-reliable, (internal corrosion). We mostly operate in salt water, and everything pretty much corrodes quickly.
I also highly recommend having at least a couple really good flashlights when operating at night, you cannot see channel markers at all, (we find them using the brail method, (lol, yeah we have hit several). We have also got lost and couldn't find our launch spot and car several times now, ( it all looks the same at night). We now always mark a gps way point when pulling out, and also turn around and look for landmarks as we are pulling away. We often launch inland, go thru bunches of canals to get out to sea, then come back in say 8-10 hrs later, (sometimes after dark), and literally can't find the right inlet, (yep this really happens), even once in a while in our home waters, embarrasing,,,lol.
FE