Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

atv223 wrote:
How did you go about covering the sticker?

With HydroTurf. I will take some photos as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually, since a motor can be added to the TI, it would then be a motorboat, and the Capacity Plate is then required. I keep coming back to my original suggestion of a change to the capacity plate that states the capacity if Amas and trampolines are present or if it's a monohull. As is, the plate applies to the most conservative situation of being a monohull kayak without Amas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srcboating wrote:
Actually, since a motor can be added to the TI, it would then be a motorboat, and the Capacity Plate is then required. I keep coming back to my original suggestion of a change to the capacity plate that states the capacity if Amas and trampolines are present or if it's a monohull. As is, the plate applies to the most conservative situation of being a monohull kayak without Amas.

The TI has no integrated way or offering by Hobie to add a gas motor. I guess you could say there is the Evolve electric motor, but I've now seen electric motors on SUPs, does that imply a SUP is a motorboat?

I was at my local sailing place today, with 4 of us on the TI. I got a big "Thumbs Up", wave and "good job" from the local wardens since everyone had their PFDs on. They are looking for people without PFDs on their boats, not doing detailed inspections of weight capacities.

While I'd be in favor of the change you are suggesting, it doesn't seem likely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the label, just explain that label is for the kayak alone, (which is correct for load weight, passengers, and motor capacity, ( evolve or torqeedo 403 only). All apply to the monohull kayak directly, ( which is the minimum configuration of the craft).
With the sails, ama’s, trampolines, outboards, fish finders, etc it’s a custom configuration, (the plaque no longer applies). All our TI’s had at least 250 sq ft of sail area, outboards, etc, and most of our hulls were modified to be able to haul at least 4 adults and at least 800 lbs weight. Actually for a time we had about 20hp worth of souped up outboards and hydrofoils on one TI.
There are tons of custom boats out there, especially around here, some guys are running 1500 hp on their gofast boats.
Plus there are a gizzilian home made boats, all my previous racing boat’s were custom designed and built by me, never needed any plaque.
Add a fly bridge, or a swim platform to your powerboat it becomes custom.
I’m simply not concerned at all about that sticker, we have owned 3 TI’s over the last 8 yrs, we have well over a quarter million road miles with Hobies on the roof, and camper in tow and have been in most every body of water we can find all over the country. Never a question asked, actually they often pull up along side and talk, usually saying cool boat, ( probably because it is really cool). The only exception being having spear guns on board the boat in the protected areas in the keys, ( don’t ever do that, that applies to any boat).
I really feel it’s a non issue.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Hobie Evolve would make the TI a powerboat. See USCG Navrules Rule 3 (b) The term “power-driven vessel” means any vessel propelled by machinery. Thus, Hobie has to place a Capacity Plate on the TI.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where I live, any boat with any motor is classified as a "motorboat" and must be registered. This applies to a 30-foot cruiser with twin 300HP EFI outboards or a TI with a 1HP electric motor.

As far as the capacity sticker is concerned, you can tell people all you want not to be concerned about it, but as I've experienced it's completely up to the local marine patrols as to how to interpret it and what to do about it if they feel you're in violation. Thay may have a local policy, or it may even be left up to the officer who inspects you. There's no way of knowing until you're stopped. They may send you happily on your way or they may turn you back to shore.

This is a gray area and that's why the sticker can be so frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed
FE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

s9utct wrote:
pro10is wrote:

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the Hydro-Turf installation and my TI is currently stored away for the winter in a place I can't get to. However it was one of the best mods I did. It made the boat more comfortable and much less slippery, and it looks great. I highly recommend it as an improvement, but again I would never recommend that anyone hide their sticker. I don't know what the penalty is. Usually I play by the rules, but this was driving me crazy. Nothing worse than having your family out for a nice day of boating and then be told you have to go right back to shore because of some unreasonable interpretation of a capacity sticker.

If you have a chance would love to see the pictures of the Hydro-Turf mod pro10is.

Here you go:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is a great and professional looking mod pro10is!! That is definitely on my list todo list of mods/enhancements.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

s9utct wrote:
That is a great and professional looking mod pro10is!! That is definitely on my list todo list of mods/enhancements.

Thanks. You can order the HydroTurf in bulk from their site in any color you want. Be sure to get the self-stick. Then use tracing paper to get the pattern and transfer it onto the HydroTurf.

Clean the areas to be covered thoroughly with Denatured Alcohol. Apply the HydroTurf and press it into place with a roller. Trim as necessary.

That's really all there is to it.