Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Island 3rd brake light
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm always nervous about someone rear-ending my rudder since it sits pretty far back from the trailer bed. I have the Hobie Red cover, but it's still a concern especially in the dark.

So I had the idea to rig up a third brake light from an led tail light. Problem is it would blink with either the left or right turn signal. After some searching I found one hitch cover light that had an eliminator circuit so it won't flash with the turn signals. It's the Bully CR-007A Tail and Brake Light. It's the only I could find with this eliminator circuti. I was hoping it was LED, but it's old school incandesent. I tested it out and it works as you'd expected a third brake light. The only difference is that it does flash where you 4 way flashers are on, but I'm good with that.

Connecting to the TI was the next challenge.

The is a photo of V1. It works, but it's ugly. Now I just needs a splitter and a 25 foot trailer wire.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simple answer is to buy some reflective strips, and plaster them all over your trailer, or even add a horizontal board across the rear deck. These will light up like a Christmas tree in headlights, and if somedbody runs into your Island then, well a brake light wouldn't have stopped them anyway. The price is certainly right! My TI has them along the sides of the hulls as well!
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COOL-2X-DIY ... Swa39UreZz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your concern isn't unwarranted. I had someone roll into the back of my trailer at a stoplight despite the fact that my stoplights were mounted at their eye level on my trailer's cargo box framework.
Probably someone updating their Facebook status since the last stoplight. :roll: No damage fortunately.
Chris