Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, newbie question here... I am sure my question is a frequent one, and yet I wasn't able to find it in the forum (the search function seems a little finicky, to say the list)

I have been launching my TI from a floating slip for the last six months. Now I got a trailer.

I can't leave the boat assembled with the akas folded when not in use, because that pushes the amas backwards, further back than the hull, and the contraption doesn't fit in my garage. By taking the akas out, I can slide the amas forward and solve the problem.

My question is whether I could/should assemble the boat (with folded akas) for transportation, after I get it out of the garage. So far I have not, but that adds a few steps upon arrival to the beach - namely inserting akas and amas (albeit with the benefit of not having to carry the whole thing for the 100 yards or so that it takes to get to the water).

So, do you:
* Trailer the boat assembled, akas folded, or
* Trailer the three components in stand-alone mode, without the akas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Zorzal,
I trailer the TI fully assembled with aka folded. To launch I slide the entire unit back far enough to fit a C-Tug cart under the rear drivewell and then roll it off the trailer.
What I don’t get is why your ama extend beyond the hull when folded? As you can see in this pic the folded ama are well short of the end of the hull. I’ve not heard of this change. What year TI do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Stingry, for responding.

About the amas protruding on the back: I made a (Freudian?) mistake in my post: my boat is not a Tandem, but an Island instead (Single seater). On the Island, the amas DO protrude on the back when folded. Luckily, I am "upgrading" to a Tandem this week, so your answer and picture come SUPER handy.

Also, nice trailer... I see that you have *three* cradles holding the lower boat, I hadn't considered using more than two. Very interesting.

Finally, thanks for the C-Tug mention, I didn't know about them, and I haven't solved that part yet. When I googled it I even landed on your post about them. Very very instructive

All in all, "u'rda man!" :D

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, thanks for clearing that up zorzal.
The third cradle has a number of functions:
-aligns the TI when retrieving making it easier to slide between the uprights and onto the second cradle
-provides support for unloading the cantilevered TI when fitting the C-Tug
-supports the stern when trailering or in storage.
My cradles are the original carpeted versions which have proved very strong and problem free. Others have reported problems with the rubberised cradles which don’t seem to be the same quality. A lot have opted for the pvc pipe bunks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I customized the cradles myself out of 4 2x6 (two on each craddle), 4lb cross linked PE foam, and exterior carpet wrapping it all up (that and a jig-saw, lots of sanding and Bonding, and a few evenings in the garage :P)

As for approach/pull-out, I just nailed an old piece of carpet to the end of the trailer. All in all, it works perfectly, specially because I keep the whole concoction very low, and I kept the units well balanced and separated. Since I am selling the trailer together with the Island (to upgrade to the TI), I need to decide whether I want to build everything again... or just get a trailer with cradles (I am liking the Malone microsport). I guess the decision is going to depend on whether a nice traiuler pops up in Craigslist in the next week. If the later happens I will build it again, most probably.

I wanted to thank you for taking care of my inquiry, it's touching to feel so supported. Cheers!