Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Of all the invaluable ideas thrown in, I really like the idea of double axis, whether it be two carts or one cart and one scupper dolly as a wya to avoid compression on my back. The later (one and one) seems not only cheaper by about $300 but also easier to “tune” by moving the position of the dolly until balance is reached. I don’t have a TI to test the idea yet (next week!), and I didn’t even know that the TI had TWO scuppers, but I think thta I will buy the carts in the meanwhile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
zorzal wrote:
II’ve also tried two scupper carts and the problem with the TI is that the balance in the forward scupper holes is near perfect but as soon as the rear scupper cart wheels touch the balance is all mucked up and the bow handle gets very heavy.

A cart under each drive well works best for balance. You could use a combination of scupper cart in forward scuppers (rear drivewell) and dolly cart under front drivewell.

Conceptually, the "scupper cart + dolly cart" sounds like (a) the cheaper one – $300 cheaper and (b) easier to "tune". I think I am going with this one, will put the orders and when I get my TI (next week!) make some tests. Will report on the results. Thanks to all for all your insightful comments!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So, as a wrap-up, I just found this trailer sold by a dealer in San Diego, which somehow incorporates the beach dolly into the trailer itself. If I could adapt my Malone along these lines, it would not only make the TI sit lower (like on my Island custom-made trailer), but also leverage the dolly as a component, so that the TI comes out of the trailer already with one set of wheels. Then I would just need to fit a front dolly to cart the whole thing in four wheels and no vertical compression on my back. Very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AyUP2w4U0U

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zorzal,
You should try moving the TI before buying any extra carts etc. The TI is much better balanced than the AI and using the scupper cart in the forward scupper holes you have hardly any weight on the bow handle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would be leary trying to put a scupper cart in the rear deck drain holes, they are not re-enforced at all and I don’t recommend puttin a scupper cart in them, ( upside down scupper cart for cart storage is fine).
Besides the TI is really well balanced both as a kayak and in full sailing mode, (with ama’s).
Though I seldom ever try to roll the fully rigged boat on a scupper cart, it’s simply too heavy for me. However if you take the AMA’s off and carry them separately the boat is no more difficult to walk around than any other tandem kayak, (all tandems are always heavier and bigger than any singles, and it’s not fair to compare the two). Prior to the TI’s we had an Oasis and I can’t tell the difference walking one or the other around, same applies with getting them on and off the roof, actually the TI is a little easier because it’s longer.
The ama’s are easy to carry, ( one in each hand) and only take a minute to slide on and set the bungy’s. I seldom ever remove the aka bars.
It’s pretty easy to flip the kayak on it’s side and insert the scupper cart, not a problem for us.
It’s also not difficult to insert the scupper cart in waste deep water, then walk the boat out of the water when coming in, or when launching just walk the kayak out to waste deep water, remove the scupper cart, put the mirage drives in, and drop the rudder, (you have to do all the other stuff anyway). It takes an extra 30 seconds to remove the scupper cart and slip the cart into the rear deck drain holes out of the way.
When using our trailer we almost never use any scupper cart.
Just sharing what we do
FE
Edit: truth be known,,, Hobie owners are pretty much the only ones using scupper carts, nobody else bothers with them.

Of course if you want to put and use a scupper cart in the rear holes, I advise going to Lowes and getting some thin wall pvc tubing, cut it off to the right length then shove it into the scupper holes, (shove in from the bottom), I just globbed mine with silicone to hold them in. I don’t recall what the exact pvc size was, but it’s the only one that fits into the hole, and also fits over the scupper posts,(though it’s a little tight, it works well). I couldn’t find that same PVC tubing a Home Depot, ( it’s not class 40, might be called class 20).
Yrs ago prior to Hobie re-enforcing their scupper holes, we wrecked a couple hulls with scupper carts, (the vertical walls between the top and bottom can be very thin and weak, (a really hard to fix problem to find and fix if you poke the scupper cart post thru that scupper tube wall)).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Zorzal,
You should try moving the TI before buying any extra carts etc. The TI is much better balanced than the AI and using the scupper cart in the forward scupper holes you have hardly any weight on the bow handle.

Yeah, I will try first, as you say (I think I am talking with you all super-nice people partly as a way to make the wait shorter :).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
I would be leary trying to put a scupper cart in the rear deck drain holes, they are not re-enforced at all and I don’t recommend puttin a scupper cart in them.

Thanks, FE. The way you describe launching us exactly what I have been doing on my Island. The whole thread came about because I saw videos of poeple moving the assembled TI (just as I got bad news about my back and knees). I started doubting whether the coming TI was going to be unmanageable for me altogether.
From all videos I have watched, and the conversation that ensued, it looks like one scupper cart first and one dollie (*possibly* second) is what i will end up going for.

The attrctive aspect of the dolly is that slight changes of location can render large balance improvements... but then again, if the TI is well balanced with a cart in the forward scupper, there isn’t a big incentive for it. I am going to a dealer next week, hopefully I can twdt balancing and devices then.

Thanks also for the warning about the rear scuppers. As said before, I didn’t even know there were two sets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea you can put a scupper cart back there, but I don’t advise it. Also with a scupper cart in the rear holes, ( typically used when tryin to put TI on car roof). The bow of the kayak is too heavy for me.
I agree if your goin to try to lug the fully rigged boat around, a big ole dolly with big wheels (hobie sells them) would be your best bet, (though I don’t own one, I see others using them successfully)
FE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that TI is well balanced with scupper cart & TI cradle in the middle set of holes.

Here is a sweet action shot of a TI being dragged along some sand:

The moving it along the beach isn't that bad on the back but the downside of the plug in cart vs. Hobie Beach Dolly or C-Tug with Sandtrax wheels is that you have to lift the kayak up to plug the cart in or fold in and roll the boat on its side, which also isn't very easy.

Beach Dolly with CTug/Sandtrax sounds luxurious but Beach Dolly can't go with you so you're doing trips.

Anybody using Boonedox on an Island? For frequent beach launches it seems the way to go (or a similar DIY solution).

Last edited by dimes on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dimes wrote:
Anybody using Boonedox on an Island? For frequent beach launches it seems the way to go (or a similar DIY solution).

My Attached wheels are great on the boat ramp but the small wheels are hard going on sand.
See them here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=59743&hilit=built+in+wheels