Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess using my new TI's maiden voyage to teach sailing to a good friend, on a day with small craft advisory, wasn't the best idea. Oh, well... When we turned around a bend in front of the Long Beach Yatch Club, an aka released, the ama opened up, and wind hit us from the opposite side. Before we could release lines, we capsized, and were pushed by the gale force wind against a dock, with the boat ending up sandwiched between it and a large yatch.

The following damage took place place not so much at that point, but rather by the action of the harbor patrol pulling the boat away from its sandwiched position (they wouldn't allow me to jump int he water to move it and right it up):
1. The aka still goes into the tube, but it doesn't stay there because the push-buttons are limp
2. The two diagonal cross braces broke off from the aft akas, and ended up hanging from the little safety plastic string
3. The bottom of the boat, where the three mast stays show up in the hull, is slightly depressed with a concave shape upwards, by about 1/8 inch - 3-4mm, as opposed to convex and following the shape of the hull (this may have been there before, as I just got the boat used)

So, I need help with the questions below, I hope you folks can lend a hand:
a. I assume the aka not staying in place is because of the "aka clip"? I exchanged akas, and the one that wasn't affected fits well on the other side
b. Are there instructions online on how to change those? I assume I will go to a dealer and get the new, upgraded ones, is that a straightforward process?
c. Are the two diagonal lock braces broken, or is there a safety piece that broke instead? If so, what would be its name?
d. Is the depression on the bottom of the boat something I need to worry about?
e. Is there an accepted way to keep the aka from moving away and becoming a dangling sword that hits your boat on the other side?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be helpful to see photos of the parts that have damage - the photo that you shared isn't really clear as to what parts you need. All parts are listed and shown in the parts guides for the Islands. Here's the TI pars guide: https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/TI_Kayak_March_2017.pdf?_ga=2.81339678.888698285.1521471781-907556097.1487723519

all parts can be obtained through a dealer directly as well - link: https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

Hopefully it's all easily swapped out, and you'll be back on the water before you know it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will need to inspect the AKA cross hull brace, (the tube that the AKA’s slide into). Inspect the end, ( under the plastic cover). If the aluminum is split, then that entire brace needs to be replaced, ( Many times we had our AKA bars pop out and had to replace the entire hull brace tube, (we have gone thru 3-4 of those, pretty typical outcome when the aka’s come out in heavy conditions.
Hopefully it’s just a damaged clip latch inside the tube which is easily repaired.
The 1/4” nylon sheer bolts on the aka braces are available at your dealer, it’s possible you already have extra spare sheer bolts already on the braces, just remove and install into the joint, (then order extras, ( you tend to go thru a lot of those sheer bolts). You may want to pick up a couple extra rudder pins as well, ( we go thru lots of those also). Before sailing again I would advise removing the rudder pin and inspecting it, it’s likely also damaged.

Leak test your hull, if it’s sound It’s probably ok, I would take it into the dealer for inspection if your not comfortable. Open the front hatch and inspect the mast holder, there is a 1/4-20 stud at the bottom of the mast holder that usually breaks when over strained.
Hopefully everything is easily fixed, the boats are pretty bulletproof and typically easily repaired.
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At least your MD is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone! FE, is filling the boat with water while holding it on the trailer good enough test for leaks? As it turns out, by the time we got to shore it was half full of water, but I always assumed that it got in through the hatches... Scary thought...

Will test when I get back home next week.

As a general note, it's quite terrifying to see the boat fall apart with your own eyes, when you are all pumped with adrenaline and the cold water is biting at you, and then watch as the TI is dragged as a dead body, limbs spread and limp :) ... and then, you take the vessel out of the water, expecting to see holes everywhere ... but only find a few clips broken. I marvel at how much iterative design and improvement went onto the boat. I manage products myself, and can't stop marveling at the power of agile / iterative improvements. The TI is a beast, but it is resilient.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
All parts are listed and shown in the parts guides for the Islands. Here's the TI pars guide: https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/TI_Kayak_March_2017.pdf?_ga=2.81339678.888698285.1521471781-907556097.1487723519

all parts can be obtained through a dealer directly as well - link: https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

Thanks, JB, the link is exactly what I needed. Will inspect txt week when I get back to the boat, and if I can't make sense of it all will post pictures.
Cheers