Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all, is it possible to strip and replace the carry handle (bow or stern)... my cord snapped and I'd like to recycle rather than buy new - also it takes months for me to get spares :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some people simply replace the toggle handle with a loop of 1/4" or 3/8" nylon rope. Threaded on that loop they have a 6-8" length of 3/4" OD PVC tubing to serve as a handle.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a hands length of PVC tube with a slightly longer length of garden hose inside to reduce chafing. Then i put a loop of thick cord through with a stainless steel clip on it which I hook on to the padeye. makes a much better grip, On launching I unclip the handle and attached it somewhere else for storage. Reason being it is one less thing hanging off the front to snag fishing lines.

The original style of handle will fray at the knot and it will snap on you at some stage leaving you with a fully loaded kayak to haul back with no handle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea we have had quite a few Hobies over the years that we mostly use in salt water, the Hobie handles are pretty but don’t last long, (couple years). With ours the metal overmolded insert rusts, then the rubber splits. At that point we typically cut them off and toss them. On a few boats I replaced with another brand handle, ( available at most kayak shops). On others I just take a short length of 3/8 dia pvc water pipe, run a paracord loop thru it and call it good enough.
I would guess that 90% of the Hobie kayaks sold only ever see fresh water so I doubt there is an issue with the handles that Hobie would see as an issue. Just a fact of life for people who live near ocean, (everything corrodes).
FE
Edit: If you live near salt water, when the boat is new, if you fill the stand off holes on the bottom with silicone, and smear some silicone around the rope where it enters the handle, ( basically preventing the salt from having access to the steel), you might get a couple extra years use. However if you use the heck out of your boats like we do, all the stuff like that are consumable components, (ie... mirage fins, ropes, rigging, sails, etc), all need to be replaced periodically, stuff wears out.