Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It is actually possible to go faster, with less heel and difficulty, when the sail is furled to match the conditions. The TI can stay on the water when all the other multi-hulls have to come in.

I agree. Tom. I think the AI/TI is faster when the boat is near level vs highly heeled to the leeward with one ama digging in greatly.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The TI can stay on the water when all the other multi-hulls have to come in.

I might have to take issue with that one.

Was racing my Hobie Wave in a regatta where the winds were consistently in the low 20s all day with gusts in the high 20s. There were about 10 Waves, and probably close to 100 total of all types. Only the Raiders couldn’t seem to keep their keel side down. No furling, no reefing. had one close call on a jibe but after about half the leeward pontoon dug down a foot below the surface with the sail trapped against the shroud, it just popped back up. Ground could be made on any point of sail, in fact it thrived going upwind.

What a fun little boat that was.

Chekika wrote:
I think the AI/TI is faster when the boat is near level vs highly heeled to the leeward with one ama digging in greatly.

Keith

What do think about the stress on the mast/ base under those conditions? I got a hiking stick but am reluctant to hike out for fear of over-stressing the boat by taking away the reef indicator, (submerging pontoon.)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Think I hit my new max today at around 15mph.

How did you measure that? Thats considerably higher than I can get the same boat up to..

FYI, peak speed on just about every GPS unit I have owned will give some error on the high side. A hand held Garmin I have might be maybe 1 mph over but my Lowrance chart plotter can give some really whacked out peak speed readings.

Best to watch the GPS or look at data logs.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

walt wrote:
Quote:
Think I hit my new max today at around 15mph.

How did you measure that? Thats considerably higher than I can get the same boat up to..

FYI, peak speed on just about every GPS unit I have owned will give some error on the high side. A hand held Garmin I have might be maybe 1 mph over but my Lowrance chart plotter can give some really whacked out peak speed readings.

Best to watch the GPS or look at data logs.

That sentence was in response to the header of this thread, in other words, 15 mph wind speed, not vessel speed. I’d be tickled to pieces to get 15 mph out of my Island! I timed the distance traveled and boat speed came out to an average of around 4 mph, with one exception where I probably hit around 7 briefly.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Chekika wrote:
I think the AI/TI is faster when the boat is near level vs highly heeled to the leeward with one ama digging in greatly.

Keith

What do think about the stress on the mast/ base under those conditions? I got a hiking stick but am reluctant to hike out for fear of over-stressing the boat by taking away the reef indicator, (submerging pontoon.)

PP--What I was thinking about, when I said the AI/TI was faster when near flat, was that the sail would be furled enough so that the boat was flat. I agree with you that under a strong wind, to hike out to level the boat more might stress the mast.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks!

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZBZ5ysfPg this guy briefly hits 22 kmh which is 13.67 mph - faster than I have ever gone and I think accurate since you can watch the speeds before and after.

Some pictures from this weekend at 8600 feet elevation in Colorado where we LOOK like were hauling axx.. I think Im a little faster in the TI single handed but this sure was fun.