Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honda 2.3 HP?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I got the TI a few months ago and have been having a blast with her! Here's some sailing from the weekend https://web.facebook.com/groups/1074859 ... 341984902/

I installed a Lowrance Hook5 yesterday (yet to bet tested.) And now I'm looking over some of the outboard options which would have been nice over the weekend when I would have loved to run with the wind, but I would have never made it back to the boat launch if I did for long.

I've read over a bunch of posts on the forum, and I think I'm going to get a Honda 2.3 HP. I'm just wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about them? I know fusioneng was running 2 of them, although I only plan on running one.

Post subject: Re: Honda 2.3 HP?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, just found this too -
http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/ho ... otors.html
Anyone ever try it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Suzuki 2.5hp on my AI. I love it.
That mount won't hold up to the gas outboard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of and getting the same feedback over on the FB group https://web.facebook.com/groups/1074859 ... &ref=notif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've researched almost all motors for the TI and I recommend the Suzuki 2.5HP over the Honda. The Suzuki has clear advantages.

Please read this thread for details: Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

You should also consider the Torqeedo 403 before you make your final decision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, I've read your posts a few times over the last few months, good stuff thank you. I'm on a remote island of only about 100 people though (Middle Caicos.) We live off rain water collected in cisterns, so fresh water is very limited here. It's also very hard/expensive to get things here. The Honda not having an impeller is a huge advantage for me. Not having to flush the motor with fresh water or replace the impeller seems to outweigh the slight power advantage.

The Torqeedo reliability worries me. The salt spray where I live corrodes everything! My engineer neighbor who is anal as could be recently crashed his gyrocopter because of some corrosion, thankfully no one was hurt. I like the idea though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, I guess this is an option now too -
https://bixpy.com/bixpy-kayak-jet-unive ... yak-canoe/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Admin

The Bixpy will not have enough power for the Island.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I googled where you live, that's an amazing piece of island. I wish to retire somewhere like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

head_dunce wrote:
Yeah, I've read your posts a few times over the last few months, good stuff thank you. I'm on a remote island of only about 100 people though (Middle Caicos.) We live off rain water collected in cisterns, so fresh water is very limited here. It's also very hard/expensive to get things here. The Honda not having an impeller is a huge advantage for me. Not having to flush the motor with fresh water or replace the impeller seems to outweigh the slight power advantage.

The Torqeedo reliability worries me. The salt spray where I live corrodes everything! My engineer neighbor who is anal as could be recently crashed his gyrocopter because of some corrosion, thankfully no one was hurt. I like the idea though.

Wow, I had no idea water to flush a motor would ever be someone's consideration. So yes, the Honda may probably be best for you.

The Torqeedo is fully qualified for salt water. In fact it's mostly plastic, aluminium, and stainless steel, in that order. The electronics are fully sealed. And, like the Honda, it takes in no cooling water and never needs to be flushed. It's probably the most resistant motor to salt water available for the TI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tech wrote:
I googled where you live, that's an amazing piece of island. I wish to retire somewhere like that.

Yes, it's pretty awesome here. It's not easy to live here though.

pro10is wrote:
The Torqeedo is fully qualified for salt water. In fact it's mostly plastic, aluminium, and stainless steel, in that order. The electronics are fully sealed. And, like the Honda, it takes in no cooling water and never needs to be flushed. It's probably the most resistant motor to salt water available for the TI.

It's very tempting. I assume that battery will have to be replaced every 4 years or so. It's hard to justify the cost, especially with limited range. There is no one to call for help out here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

head_dunce wrote:
It's very tempting. I assume that battery will have to be replaced every 4 years or so. It's hard to justify the cost, especially with limited range. There is no one to call for help out here.

The battery is incredibly well made. Mine is now three years old and hasn't lost any noticeable capacity. I would give them a lifespan of 7-10 years or more. My Torqeedo has been very reliable, more so than my Tohatsu gas motor which didn't even last a year. Help from Torqeedo is only an email away. You could also go with the Evolve, which is a Torqeedo motor Hobie sells and supports.

Your choice of course, I just want you to have the info.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I highly recommend if sailing these boats offshore, adding an outboard increases your safety factor, even if you never start it. In the first 3 yrs of running our TI’s offshore always with an outboard, we only needed to start the motors up a couple times when in trouble.
We started with several different outboards, but settled on the Honda in 2013, never had any major problems that weren’t self induced).
I have no experience on the other motors listed, but assume all listed to be capable.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng - I hear ya. I know you mentioned the outboard stuff when I was first asking questions about buying the boat. It was such a project just getting the boat here that I didn't want to get into the motor stuff until I actually got to use the boat for a while.

pro10is - I'm back and forth on the idea of the Torqeedo vs gas outboard. After BS'n with my wife last night, we about talked ourselves into the Torqeedo. Glad to hear it's been dependable for you. I'm going to have to look into it more. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

head_dunce wrote:
fusioneng - I hear ya. I know you mentioned the outboard stuff when I was first asking questions about buying the boat. It was such a project just getting the boat here that I didn't want to get into the motor stuff until I actually got to use the boat for a while.

pro10is - I'm back and forth on the idea of the Torqeedo vs gas outboard. After BS'n with my wife last night, we about talked ourselves into the Torqeedo. Glad to hear it's been dependable for you. I'm going to have to look into it more. Thanks

It's an excellent option to power a TI and has many advantages over a gas motor. However it's more expensive and has less power. If you read my reports you already know that. For serious use you'll need the 915 watt hour battery. If your area is prone to powerful storms and you head far from shore you may wish to stick with the Honda.