Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dave,
I see no one has answered. I sold my TI at the end of last year but I did post some pics when I did the spin install.
-it doesn’t matter if the halyard line is in the water. Keeping it tensioned will help keep it up. Chafing was never an issue either.
-I only ever stored the spin snuffed in the bag. When packing up I’d just extend the halyard by grabbing the topper and getting the slack out, undo the bag AKA straps, loosen all lines and move the bag across to the hull, stuffing it all in the drivewell and back to the seat location. That way it was quick to set up next time.
More info here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 9&p=290170

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the reply Stringy! I see you cross the Spinnaker halyard over the Main sheets. I was afraid if I did that the lines would chafe over time and wear out. So that doesn't seem to be a problem?

So you never saw any problems storing the Spinnaker wadded up in the snuffer? The sail looks so fragile compared to other sails I have seen I was afraid not folding it neatly might cause some failures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problems with either chafing or the sail just stuffed into the snuffer bag. Over time the spin got much easier to snuff but showed no wear signs. It was up there with my other ‘must have’ TI accessories -haka and outboard. Whilst it did have some issues, the positives far outweighed the negatives.
It got a lot of use in the two and a half years I had it before selling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really appreciate the info. It looks like you bring your Spinnaker sheet directly to the swivel cam cleat at the inside of the Aka instead of through a pulley block at the outside of the Aka. I assume this lets you sheet in tighter to sail closer into the wind? Do you use it that way all the time? Any disadvantages to doing that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well spotted Dave.
Yes, I didn’t bother with the aka sheet pulleys mainly because they interfered with the haka and complicated set up. Used this way its probably a bit less efficient but I really didn’t notice much of a difference. I used to manually hook the sheet over the end aka bungee buttons (as seen in the goose wing sailing clip) if I wanted better downwind performance.
I found another pic that details the halyard routing. I added an eyebolt to the cargo bungee cleat to guide the halyard over the mainsheet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt. I have some parts questions.
Is it still The case that Hobie does not stock the delrin bearing for the mast topper. Lots of folks mudt loose a few of these upgrading to the longer mast topper, or other repairs.
Can you provide a part number or description for the bolt and nut in the block assemblies at Each end of the mast topper? (While you are at it, others whose bolts dropped out may have lost the sleeve and wheel of this assembly, and if Hobie has these parts, they might find them here if you list them)

Is the red plastic wind vane triangle on this topper the same item as CM7704, the bridal vane replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Bearings: https://www.mcmaster.com/9614K52/

I am chasing down the topper drawing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I own a TI and I have been reading this topic as I ama very interested in buying a spinnaker kit. I was surprised to see that noone has tried building a device like the one on the picture - link below - (which is quite common on cruisers, at least in France, even on small 18-footer like mine, IOT use square tops mainsails). I have not bought the spinnaker kit yet for my TI, but this is clearly the technical solution that comes first to my mind.

https://www.minicroiseur.fr/produit/lat ... e-pataras/

Sorry, it's a French website but I think everyone will understand the drawing. Has something like this been tried ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been trying to accomplish that using an aluminum extension with a spring at the mast topper to allow it to bend down, but the weight of the aluminum extension and halyard are too much for the spring to keep up. The device in your link looks like the extension piece is actually doing the spring action (spring steel)? That would work well as long as it has enough strength to hold up the halyard when it's slack. Do you know where I can get something like that in the US? I would like to experiment with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wxup wrote:
I've been trying to accomplish that using an aluminum extension with a spring at the mast topper to allow it to bend down, but the weight of the aluminum extension and halyard are too much for the spring to keep up. The device in your link looks like the extension piece is actually doing the spring action (spring steel)? That would work well as long as it has enough strength to hold up the halyard when it's slack. Do you know where I can get something like that in the US? I would like to experiment with it.

Sorry, no idea where you could find this in the US (I live in France), but my guess is that you could easily build one of your own. You then need to add a small pulley tackle to stretch the backstay once the spinnaker is up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Semper Fi wrote:
Hi,

I own a TI and I have been reading this topic as I ama very interested in buying a spinnaker kit. I was surprised to see that noone has tried building a device like the one on the picture - link below - (which is quite common on cruisers, at least in France, even on small 18-footer like mine, IOT use square tops mainsails). I have not bought the spinnaker kit yet for my TI, but this is clearly the technical solution that comes first to my mind.

https://www.minicroiseur.fr/produit/lat ... e-pataras/

Sorry, it's a French website but I think everyone will understand the drawing. Has something like this been tried ?

I think this is a very interesting solution but i wonder if the halyard will be able to get over the sail and the batten that is usually the place where the line snag happen. you should measure it . if the line catch the batten I think this tool could be useless. I personally trimmed the batten and I keep the halyard very tensioned before furling and this solved the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
One of the hottest accessories for the Hobie Island is a spinnaker kit. We have made a couple of changes to enhance the ease of use of these great accessories to make them even better.

Matt, I got a 2020 TI used this summer. The spinnaker kit that came with it did not have the revised mast rotator or the jam cleat (even though by the model year, I think it should). I don't have a dealer near me. How can I obtain these parts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:

@stringy I notice in your video that you have a different telltale on the mast topper, rather than the flimsy red plastic one that comes with the kit. Can you provide a link on where to obtain that?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Windward Wind Indicator Offshore 285mm.
In Australia I got mine here:
https://www.whitworths.com.au/windward- ... hore-285mm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Windward Wind Indicator Offshore 285mm.

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next