Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First: I've searched and read all I could find about this topic, on this forum. But still have a few questions.

I have a 2020 TI

1) If I install the spinnaker kit, can I mostly use the setup (lines, cleats, etc.) for sailing a jib with a furler? EDIT: Or without a furler?
- I know the flexible mast on the TI is not the best for using a jib, but still. If I get any help upwind form a jib, I'll install it (always upwind here, in any direction :mrgreen: !)

2) What jib should I buy? Hobie Getaway jib, or Hobie 16 jib? Or?
- I don't want a jib that you furl into the main sail (it will not work well here where I live).

3) Should I consider having a fixed mast for the jib, like in aluminium or something, instead of just a furled up jib? Will it help?

4) Setup time before I go sailing. Will a spinnaker kit add much extra setup time / hassle (my boat is disassembled when I arrive to the f.ex. beach)?

5) Any tips or thoughts is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

are you in Matlacha off pine island road?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in northern Norway. Winds can be very variable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is a secret power source for upwind sailing on these boats. The mirage drive. Just pedal a little, it will add speed, which improves your apparent wind direction going upwind.
Many here have made rigs with extra sail area, added gas motors to go faster or farther. But the stock boat works pretty well and gives you a great workout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:shock:
So that's what those things are for???? :mrgreen:

Yes, I paddle. Alot. I'm exhausted after every trip, and I'm a bicyclist. I enjoy using the mirage drives. But I still want a jib!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't blame you. On light wind days the boat needs more sail. And a jib adds efficiency to any rig. The TI is one of the most experimented with sailboats, so do a little searching and you will see lots of modifications.
Personally I like how fast the boat rigs and only go out sailing if it is blowing low to mid teens at least. Otherwise I kayak it or ride a bike.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a brief video of my jib setup on my AI (not TI). I have an aluminum mast and continuous furler and the sail is the jib from a C420, as I recall (purchased from Intensity Sails, for a very good price). It works pretty well, and the only thing I would like to modify is to replace the aluminum with carbon fiber, to save some weight aloft (that gets a bit pricey, so might have to wait until next year)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0pMUeO_DDM