Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I am new to the hobie community and am looking at buying an adventure island. I am a leg amputee and so looking for a safe and stable craft. I am also in Australia. I see a couple of different hull and amas shapes is there much difference in them? Some have vertical bows and others conventional. I am planning on going to see in it and sailing the coast. There are all years for sale here and because of my limitations I would like to know which would be the earliest model I should look at for safety and seaworthiness. I really would appreciate some expert help from you guys so I don't buy the wrong model and end up swimming.
Should I buy a tandem and use it one up?
Thanks in advance Pete.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tandem is more of a beast on the land. But if you plan to always trailer it either one will work.

2018 and some 17s i think have the M180 v2
2017+ = M180 v1 reversible drives
2015+ = redesigned hulls, vantage seats

Thats the major stuff. I would try for a 17 model as the 180 drive is nice when you are solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where abouts are you Pete?
If you don’t want to be sitting in a puddle then only look for 2015+ models which had significant upgrades: Vantage seats, reverse bows, one pull scupper drains, upgraded mast and rudder fittings, ...but no side handles (can be added aftermarket). The ‘15 AI became the V2 with a bulked up hull, built in daggerboard and larger sail. It’s a better sailboat but not as good a kayak as the V1.
If looking at earlier models the 2011+ had overcome the drivewell cracking that could be a problem.
As an amputee are you able to pedal?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply appreciate that Defy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upgraded rudder fittings? Missed that one. Can you please elaborate?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tony,
I was thinking of the change from a 2 bolt rudder gudgeon to the three bolt with larger diameter bolts. It may have been earlier?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was earlier. Just found this
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 4&p=224361

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ILean2 wrote:
Hi I am new to the hobie community and am looking at buying an adventure island. I am a leg amputee and so looking for a safe and stable craft. I am also in Australia. I see a couple of different hull and amas shapes is there much difference in them? Some have vertical bows and others conventional. I am planning on going to see in it and sailing the coast. There are all years for sale here and because of my limitations I would like to know which would be the earliest model I should look at for safety and seaworthiness. I really would appreciate some expert help from you guys so I don't buy the wrong model and end up swimming.
Thanks in advance Pete.

Do you have a plan for operating the mirage drive? That’s a lot of boat to sail a good ways and then have the wind die or shift to a degree that will make for poor headway, then have to rely on paddling.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:

Thanks Stringy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ILean2 wrote:
Thanks in advance Pete.

My preference would be to buy a TI, as you then have capacity for a passenger and/or more gear.

Somewhere back in the forum was a clever solution involving modified ring-spanners attached to the tops of the Miragedrive, to allow efficient pedalling with the hands

PS.
If you go to your profile you can add in your location so we can all see where you are. I am interested in offshore trips too, and strongly believe in safety in numbers on journeys like that. The 12 Nm trip from Port Stephens to Broughton Island is an ideal starter

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m the one that had the hand operated mirage drive, it was simple really, I just tied a loop of spectra string (the same grey stuff hobie uses for their rudder line). I just wrapped a loop around the pedal shaft, near the post at the inside, (out of the way). Then made up a couple short ropes with clips on one end and handles on the other. I did it because I pedal great distances and my legs need a break once in a while. I have a really bad back so I can’t paddle with a standard double end paddle, (too much twisting of my back), but I can run the mirage drive without twisting with my arms, well long enough to give my legs a rest and still make some headway. When not using them I just kept them in the mesh pocket on the boat, when not using. Keep in mind The TI glides very well with light pedaling effort, you don’t have to peddle like a madman to make good headway for hours on end, even with two passengers and just one person pedaling.
If you get a TI you could put a mirage well trolling motor or evolve system in one mirage pocket and regular mirage pedals in the other seat for your passenger.
FE

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also remember seeing some modified ring spanners, which had handles added at the "loose" end, while the ring went around the pedal axle.

This has the benefit of adding pushing thrust on the top of the stroke in addition to the pull on the lower part of the stroke (think cleated shoes on a normal bike). As it happens, I spend 15+ minutes each day on a hand-cranked "waterwheel" in my local YMCA, so have plenty of time experimenting, and there is no question that much more power is available if both pedals are contributing to thrust most of the way through the 360 degree stroke (with the added benefit of a better workout for different muscle groups!).

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually I found out when using the hand ropes, I still preferred to pedal while using the ropes, just a lot lighter force required with my tired legs, as I was pushing forward with one foot, I pulled on the other pedal with the rope, (reducing the force required on my legs). It’s not so much the back and forth motion of my legs, I can do that all day long, (like walking), but peddling with any force is like climbing stairs, ( wears you out quick), the ropes helped when my legs were too tired.
Lol like a full body work out machine. Actually likely better and expends less energy than peddling and paddling at the same time.

I also used the rope thing when I had both my mirage drives tied together via a pulley system. Yea it all worked but the force required for me to pedal both mirage drives was exhausting. Only used the dual pedal system a couple times, then abandoned, (lol went in the pile with the other 200 stupid inventions for the boat).
FE

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember that he is an amputee, so he will be relying on hand power. I therefore believe he would greatly benefit from being able to maximise Miragedrive thrust, especially when needed to get out of a sticky close-quarters situation.

PS. It would help if we knew your first name. As you can see above, it gets a bit awkward otherwise :D
EDIT. Sorry, I didn't notice that you did mention your name as Pete

Last edited by tonystott on Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ILean2 wrote:
Thank you for your reply appreciate that Defy

No prob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk