Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer length for TI
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm about buy a trailer for my new to me TI and curious to what trailer lengths others are using for their TI.

The first choice on my list is the Load Rite 14F1000WT. On the list as a local dealer has in stock and for $720. I also like 1000 lb rating as I plan to mount a rack on the trailer for other kayaks and cargo box as other owners have done.

Trailer is for a 14' boat with overall length of 16'4". TI will hang off the back ~ 4.5 feet.

Is this pretty much in line with what other modified boat trailers TI owners are using? Figure the collective wisdom of the forum ensures I don't have regrets later.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is essentially the same setup I have, different brand (King Traillers KF1150). My dealer made it up for me. It has 2 cross bars made from 1.5" square tubing. Supported by standard bunk brackets. They then bolted the hobie cradles to the tubing. Spacing on the tubing is as recommended by Hobie. It hangs off the back, but I never put any weight on the boat when it is on the trailer so I am not concerned. I always store it with all the straps backed off so it is not pulling down on the hull.

As for overhang, I just but a red flag on the back and call it good. No issues so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recommend finding a used trailex if you can. I love mine and its like legos of trailers.

I can measure it tomorrow. I just put a rack on mine and its good and bad. Without a rack you can fully rig the yak (amas out sail up) on the trailer. Makes boat ramp launching quick. With the rack on i have to pull the yak into the water and set it up.

And just for the record the paddle boards are not really tied down just loosely strapped to keep the wind from knocking them off in the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk