Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Spinnaker Fix
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fusioneng,I have been consistently saying (some might call it harping!) that the existing Hobie design CAN work, with just a few minor improvements (lightweight PVC tubing on the backstay, shortened battens) and in this psrfticular instznce was pointing out that moving the halyard from the backstay position to down the mast has its own problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
I know, I was just kinda saying, me throwing out all these design ideas, based on a totally different design wasn't helping much, just confusing everybody, and made matters worse that’s all.

I went into detail about my particular application just to highlight how different my setup is from everyone elses, and doesn’t apply or help solve any issues.

I’m sure you guys will get it all worked out.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any news or updates to the system?
I have a 2012 TI that I just purchased. I'd like to order the spinnaker kit (made that decision before I even bought a TI) as I love to sail. Reasoning, storing my pontoon boat $$, making boat payments $300/mo, and our lake currently sitting at 3% capacity doesn't warrant a large boat any longer. I can get rid of my tow vehicle and pull a TI with my 4 cyl car. So... I sold my pontoon boat and purchased a Tandem Island last week with the intent of sailing when the wind is favorable.
Seems any newly purchased kit will have the updates, taller topper and cleat. My 2012 should have the lesser squared top and shorter batten and work better with the spinnaker halyard and the batten tangling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would definately order it, nothin more fun in sailing than a spinnaker.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is the "lesser squared top"? I have never heard of this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
What is the "lesser squared top"? I have never heard of this.

I "believe" the newer hobies have more of a square top and the older ones have more of a tapered one. Not positive though. i haven't even taken my 2012 out yet. Just got it last week and water is about 49 degrees.
Here is I believe a 2010 and a 2016.
It looks like the newer sails have a taller main batten.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a spinnaker, but would like to install my Davis Windtrax on top of my AI mast and in the photo above one is installed in the mast rotator cap. Would it be better to use that over the Hobie mast head vane cap to install one? I'm thinking the benefit of using the rotator is you could see the Davis regardless of sail position.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
Thinking more about this, I believe a very practical solution is to suspend (using zip-ties attached to the rear of ther mast topper) about a 6-8 foot length of lightweight plastic underground watering system pipe, containing the backstay. This would make the top batten of the mainsail more likely to slide over the backstay, while also hugely reducing (if not totally eliminating) the possibility of the backstay getting wrapped zround the mast during furling.

I already have a 20 inch approx. piece attached as above, and don't recall the last tangle.

@tonystott I know this is an old post but do you happen to have any photos of your solution. I would like to better understand how you fasten the pex tubing to the topper? I rigged my spinnaker for the first time today and immediately had the halyard wrapped several times around the batten when trying to furl the main.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you trim the batton tops down, (we trimmed ours down, and taped over them to prevent snags), that helps a lot with tangling. Also when using the spinnaker, keeping the main partially furled, (past the first batton) also helps, or furled completely, ( lol the main is pretty useless on downwind anyway, unless you like tacos).
Most important, practice practice practice techniques the work reliably, ( trial and error), and avoid situations that cause tangles.
You will find Hobies spinnaker design to work when using it as they designed it, (being aware of the restrictions imposed by the design).
Also trying to use the spin too much, causes issues (guilty), we only ever put ours out on downwind long runs.
It’s not a jib or genoa.
You will have a great time, without needing to re-invent the wheel.
Keep in mind the spin is designed to help the TI on it’s weakest point of sail, downwind, ( as all of us have experienced).
My opinion
FE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
If you trim the batton tops down, (we trimmed ours down, and taped over them to prevent snags), that helps a lot with tangling. Also when using the spinnaker, keeping the main partially furled, (past the first batton) also helps, or furled completely, ( lol the main is pretty useless on downwind anyway, unless you like tacos).
Most important, practice practice practice techniques the work reliably, ( trial and error), and avoid situations that cause tangles.
You will find Hobies spinnaker design to work when using it as they designed it, (being aware of the restrictions imposed by the design).
Also trying to use the spin too much, causes issues (guilty), we only ever put ours out on downwind long runs.
It’s not a jib or genoa.
Keep in mind the spin is designed to help the TI on it’s weakest point of sail, downwind, ( as all of us have experienced).
My opinion
FE

Hi Bob, nice to see you back here! Could you please help the poster here who needs info for sailing a TI in FL?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
It’s not a jib or genoa.
My opinion
FE

Thank you for the advice. I agree that once that batten is trim down it should work as intended. Here’s a photo of what I end up doing to the batten I also added a piece of pex tubing to try out I may remove it if I feel like if I need it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your setup looks great, even if the main catches the stay line it shouldn’t get hopelessly tangled, ( easy to untangle without needing to drop the mast, (which happened to us a lot before making the fixes)).
One other pointer that many may not realize,,,, when using the spinnaker it’s very important to keep the main sail cleated. Otherwise the forward pulling on the mast, (from the spinnaker) will break that tiny 1/4 inch stud at the base of the mast. I probably broke 15 of those studs over the years, but then again I pushed my boats way beyond Hobie’s specs, (like running the spin in 20-25 knot winds, (not advised without a bowsprit, otherwise you pitchpole)
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fluxberkman wrote:
tonystott wrote:
Thinking more about this, I believe a very practical solution is to suspend (using zip-ties attached to the rear of ther mast topper) about a 6-8 foot length of lightweight plastic underground watering system pipe, containing the backstay. This would make the top batten of the mainsail more likely to slide over the backstay, while also hugely reducing (if not totally eliminating) the possibility of the backstay getting wrapped zround the mast during furling.

I already have a 20 inch approx. piece attached as above, and don't recall the last tangle.

@tonystott I know this is an old post but do you happen to have any photos of your solution. I would like to better understand how you fasten the pex tubing to the topper? I rigged my spinnaker for the first time today and immediately had the halyard wrapped several times around the batten when trying to furl the main.

@fluxberkman
i don't think Mr Stott will reply as I saw mention elsewjere he passed a while ago :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
It’s not a jib or genoa.
My opinion
FE

FE
also good to see you posting here. im still wandering around the Caloosahatchie, mostly pedaling tho as need the cardio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

winfield100 wrote:
fluxberkman wrote:
tonystott wrote:

@fluxberkman
i don't think Mr Stott will reply as I saw mention elsewjere he passed a while ago :(

I am really sorry to hear that he passed, his posts are fantastic and I really enjoyed reading them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next