Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Some new items I found for the Torqeedo Ultralight -
https://www.innovativesportsman.com/sto ... light.html

I read about the cavitation problem, looks like there's a fix with that aftermarket drop pipe that just came out

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've hit rocks with my Torqeedo, didn't seem to bother it a bit, it just rotates upward. Didn't hurt the prop or the skeg either, not even a scratch. So I'm not sure why anyone would spend $180 for a rock guard.

The cavitation is easily fixed by lowering the prop shaft a few inches deeper into the water. I've found a way to do this with a few simple parts which easily allow the 403 to be adjustable to any depth on the TI.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IMHO, not only the $140 is way too much for the value (I will know more once I start using my 403 on rocky shallow areas), but the whole concoction looks somehow overwhelming: there is a "functional debt" incurred when convoluted solutions are applied to simple designs. In this case, the Ultralight assembly is already debt enough :)

In the same page, the vendor shows a $50 warped tube to lower the motor 2 inches: look closely at it, and it is just bent mechanically (you can see the tube compression on the bends). For $50, I nuy me a great vise, bend it myself, and keep the vise as extra :P

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still trying to swallow the price tag of the Torqeedo (especially since I have to add on shipping and duty to this little island) but I currently can't come up with a reason not to spend the money.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zorzal wrote:
...In the same page, the vendor shows a $50 warped tube to lower the motor 2 inches: look closely at it, and it is just bent mechanically (you can see the tube compression on the bends). For $50, I nuy me a great vise, bend it myself, and keep the vise as extra :P

I wouldn't buy that tube either. Due to varying loads and load distribution, the 403 should have a means of adjusting the depth.

Using parts available from Torqeedo I rigged the mount to be adjustable:

The photos above don't show it but the aluminium plate has holes to mount the 403 at adjustable depths.