Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Revo 16 and 2010 AI
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

My first post here. I own an Outback, but i am looking to upgrade to something faster. I have made arrangements to go and see two used hobies, a 2016 revo 16 and a 2010 AI. I would like the new seat, but the sail kit and outriggers could be a cool addition. It crossed my mind to buy both and turn the Revo 16 into a Revo 16 Island. Then sell off the AI as just the kayak. Is it possible, i hear that it is almost the exact same hull.

BR Jesper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unlike the old Adventure kayak, the Revo 16 has none of the molded in brass fittings necessary for turning the kayak into an Island. Whilst you could fit the Island X-Bars using backing plates, the problem area would be fixing the mast receiver/V-brace assembly to the bottom of the hull.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's a lot of effort if all you want out of the deal is the upgraded seat.

It's easier to retrofit a newer style seat to the older hull than to swap all the other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. I think i am going to go with the AI and not bother. My current outback is with the old seat and its quite ok for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure of the exact dates, but the older AI hulls were vulnerable to well-drive cracks (I speak from experience here). I think the 2010 AI still had that problem. I forget what year now they fixed that. It would make me hesitant to buy it.

The Revo 16 has the option of Hobie Sidekicks and a smaller sail, if you think sailing will be a minor part of your adventures compared to kayaking.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

recycle wrote:

The Revo 16 has the option of Hobie Sidekicks and a smaller sail, if you think sailing will be a minor part of your adventures compared to kayaking.

I reckon if you went this route, you would end up wishing you had a full AI.

If you go with an older AI you can fit a comfy skipper seat, just as long as you dont want to use it in single hull form, otherwise it could be too tippy.

The vantage seat in the revo 16 is a huge improvement over the old one, not just in comfort and dry butt.

Think also of set up times etc of a full AI

Does the AI have an older model drive?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jesperp85 wrote:
Hi All

but i am looking to upgrade to something faster. I have made arrangements to go and see two used hobies, a 2016 revo 16 and a 2010 AI. I would like the new seat,

BR Jesper

See the Attwood thread here in the forum for seat replacement on older Hobie AI/TI hulls. I find this seat better than the Vantage.
But before you jump into an old used Hobie, make sure your aware of what to look for in that used model. Again many threads on here address that.