Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
the TI, especially if loaded with stuff for long expeditions, it's very heavy to lift even for 2 strong fellows and therefore, when beaching we have to pull it on the sand that is not the best thing if u want to preserve it from scratches.
Apart from the solution "beach dolly" that is too big for me to take. i wonder if anybody is using "rollers" or fenders (such as in these pics)

roller

fender

which one are you using? where do u store it? impressions and suggestions?

thanx
Giorgio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don’t beach it I just stake it out in the water. But only for a few hours at a time never overnight.

I would think the roller would be better but hard to keep centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We never worried much about scratching the boat up pulling onto the beach. Actually one beach we go to is a good 1/2 mile from the parking area. The TI is too heavy to carry, and we never found any cart that we could use in the sugar white powder sand. Most of the time we just drag the boat.
Though I thought about maybe wrapping some 8 mil polyethylene sheet around a pole, placing the boat on the sheet, then pulling the boat across the sand. Never did it, but I thought it was a good idea, if I ever had to do a stupid stunt like dragging the boat across half mile of sand ever again.
After that stupid stunt, I began launching 7 miles away at a ramp on the inter coastal, then drove the boat out and around to the same beach, way faster and easier going around for us anyway.
Someone should try the drag sheet idea.
FE

Edit: last summer I had to dig up our pool to fix a leak, and used the 8mil sheet I had bought for draggin the boat, (never used with the boat), I used it to drag around big piles of dirt and gravel around the yard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sardinian Islander wrote:
Hi,
the TI, especially if loaded with stuff for long expeditions, it's very heavy to lift even for 2 strong fellows and therefore, when beaching we have to pull it on the sand that is not the best thing if u want to preserve it from scratches.
Apart from the solution "beach dolly" that is too big for me to take. i wonder if anybody is using "rollers" or fenders (such as in these pics)

roller

fender

which one are you using? where do u store it? impressions and suggestions?

thanx
Giorgio

I just bought a roller (probably identical to yours) and while I haven't used it yet, I plan to carry it (deflated in the hull) in case I need to beach my TI somewhere. Being able to move the TI above the high tide mark by myself seems worth the small cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a pool noodle cut into thirds. Works great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marty roller is the way to go. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=840&_ga=2.153921661.494799637.1529005089-1871989019.1515722084

We always have 3-4 Marty rollers on all our camping trips.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith could you please giove me a better link to see how this Marty Roller is done?
in that pic i cannot see it well. thank u

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a picture of Marty bringing his hull up the beach with one Marty roller. Because it is large, it can lift a boat completely off the beach, making it easier to move your boat.

If we have multiple people, we use 2 rollers. Remember, our boats are often full of camping gear, but the rollers handle them fine.

This is the roller I bought on Amazon. Because there are lots of sharp shells and coral on beaches, I've wrapped mine in Gorilla tape.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The huge advantage of the inflatable roller is that it is... well, inflatable. When deflated, it is not much bigger than a magazine, and can even be stowed partly inflated as additional emergency hull buoyancy, fitting flexibly into odd spare spaces below, unlike a solid roller.

Best $40 odd I have spent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no problem with an inflatable roller except as Tony says, "It's inflatable." We all haul our Marty rollers on our hakas. It is very easy, when landing, to pull off a Marty roller, or 2, slip it under the boat and haul the boat up. It does not appeal to me to have to fish out an inflatable roller out of a packed hull, inflate it (blow it up), and deploy it. Just my preference. None of our camping group uses an inflatable roller. We all use Marty rollers.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith I have a question about these rollers that here are sold as Gymn or pilates roller .
u showed me with length 36 inches.
but i saw also some shorter, about 18 inches long.
these ones should be smaller and maybe i could put them inside the middle hatch instead of the trampoline or wven if on the trampoline they should occupy less space.

do u think that also a length of 18 inches should be enough to roll the boat or u think it should be too short?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've only used the 36" rollers. You could probably get by with 18", but even with 36" rollers, your boat rolls sideways off them occasionally. If you want to put them inside your hull, that may be the determining factor.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have only one trampoline and maybe i shoudnt be very happy to have two 36" rollers on it. maybe i should prefer to put them inside the hull, that should even mean increased floatation. My only doubt it if the 18" lenghts is enough to roll the boat. I'd like to know it before knowing that I bought the wrong size :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got back from a 5-day camping trip on Lake Champlain on our TI. Great place for sail camping, using the Lake Champlain Paddlers Trail campsites. I had put 4 swimming noodles inside the hull ($1 or $2 each) for extra flotation in case of emergency, and we ended up using them for rolling the boat up on the beach at night (most were rocky beaches). It definitely helped protect the boat from the rocks and made it easier to pull the boat up. They stow easily inside the hull without taking up room for other gear, or some days we just lashed them to the hakas and with all 4 on one side it makes a bit of a cushion for sitting on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always have four noodles up in the gunwales of my TI, safe in the knowledge that should the unthinkable happen, their extra flotation will keep the main hull (somewhat) above water even with crew on board, without relying on the added buoyancy of the amas. In a dire situation that could mean the difference between life and death. Not bad for less than $10