Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sarasota Bay, even Bradenton if I have to.

Most marinas are a little pricey at around $30 day. Maybe I'm cheap but $120 fora long weekend seems a bit much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact Sarasota sailing squadron on City Island (Sarasota), great place to launch, (central location).
They have a boat pen right on shore, all the cat owners store their boats there, (mast up).
They may have a rate for a long weekend or visitors, not sure.
We kept our TI in our garage on the trailer, and always launched at City Island park ( right next door to sailing squadron), all nice folks.
There are a couple hundred AI/TI’s in the area, most of us launch at City Island, It’s highly likely you will see several Island boats out, pretty much anytime you go out.
However, Sarasota used to be the superboat capitol of the world, and around the 4th, they have the annual big superboat races, It’s a mad house out there, I’m not allowed to go out during the races, ( thousands of drunk wantabe racers on their go fast boats), really dangerous....
Any other time is fine.
FE
Edit: Btw, city island park is on LBK. I have seen people anchor their boats, ( and cats) just offshore in the sailing squadron harbor, overnight, about 25ft offshore, they just walk out to the boat, (don’t leave mirage drives in boat though). The park closes at dusk, and is monitored, (Sarasota is pretty high end, and pretty safe). I’ve seen a couple sea planes parked in the park overnight). Might try calling the Sarasota park district to find out the rules.

We travel a lot, and often leave the boat moored just offshore on long weekends, all over the country, (especially in the keys). Many resorts supply mooring balls for their guests, (jetski’s mostly). A lot of the harbors have sandy areas for dingys, as long as your not taking up a slip, many don’t charge. The biggest deep water harbor in the gulf is halfway up lbk, you might try callng them. You don’t need a slip, we trashed one of our TI’s parking in slips, (barnicles).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Sailing Squadron was the first ones I've called and coincidentally had the highest rate. This is my third summer on Longboat Key and I'm fairly familiar with the Sarasota-Bradenton area. I wanted to keep the boat close by but thanks to an introductory offer from a National Storage chain I'm getting a 10 x 20 storage room with direct outside access add a monthly rate that is less than the daily rate of everybody I called. Covered and behind a rollaway door, if there's any drawback it's that I can't get a hold of it until 6 a.m. and it's roughly 25 minutes from where I'm staying which by Orlando Reckoning isn't really that far.

I have a hard enough time leaving my kayak set up on the semi-private beach at the condo association and there's certainly no way in hell I would walk away from it for any length of time out of eye shot. Interesting Lee enough being my third year out here I don't recall except for maybe once seeing one Hobie Island boat. I believe the park you are referring to is on the northwest side of the new pass. I've launched a kayak from there many times and have fish that flat many times and pulled more snook from there then my previous four decades fishing in and around salt water.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea there is a shallow underwater sand bar just south of those flats, just before the harbor. Both me and one of my friends with a trifoiler have both crashed on that sand bar, heavily damaging both our boats. It’s shallower than it looks, ( lol). If launching from the park, make sure to go east of the channel marker before cutting north.
Also steer clear of jew fish island, ( at the north end of the bay), the water to the south and east of the island is only 6” deep at low tide, (long walk in the muck to get out with a TI).
If you don’t have an outboard, it’s impossible to get in or out of new pass against the really fast tide.
Have fun
FE