Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The enthusiastic nature of Island owners sharing their love of these "little boats" suggests a beneficial relationship could develop between Hobie corporate and their Reps and groups of owners that would be eager to meet and share some time on water with each other and the community of interested friends and the general public. I know Hobie is a big presence in boat shows but get with the current owners who would love to meet other owners and bring some demos to show the guests and share the love. We'll give rides and show off the boats and the love. Bring your business cards and catalogs ,Hobie will sell more boats. Win/Win! I bet you've got one heck of a database to send out adverts and solicit participation. Make them local, regional and I'll be there with my boats! anyone else out there with me?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This might tie in with some of the Hobie Island Clubs that are often sponsored by Hobie dealers. But there is a disconnect in some areas. Here in NC we essentially have only two Hobie dealers. One is situated in the far northeastern corner of the state, about as far as you can get from anywhere, and the other has several locations but doesn't have much interest in the Hobie line. Most of the AI's and TI's in NC were bought out of state and either brought back here or shipped here. The last TI a buddy of mine bought came out of Ohio. Of the seven AI's and TI's in our local sailing club, only one was purchased here in NC. The main dealer here just isn't interested.

A lot of it comes down to your dealer - are they in the kayak business, or are kayaks part of a larger general outdoor goods line? If the former, then you've got a good shot at maybe getting them involved. If the latter... good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After serious back issues and subsequent surgeries, my effoprts to create a local Hobie Island Club went well, with about 15 Islands "on the books". My local dealer provided minimal assistance.

Can I suggest a few thoughts?
1. Print a flyer setting out the benefits of gathering Islands together (social/technical/skill improvements etc)
2. Distribute a small supply to local dealer(s) with a polite request that a flyer be included with the papers for each purchase/service visit etc.
3. Create a simple database containing contact info for each owner who contacts you.
4. Call for a gathering 2-3 weeks out at a spot where there are (hopefully) launch/toilet/picnic facilities.
5. Make sure that all attendees are made most welcome, and encouraged to swap contact info.
6. Rinse and repeat.

You might well discover that your dealer gets the message that this is a good way to sell more Islands, by for instance aligning demo days with these outings (best selling people of Islands are happy owners!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're very much correct - and since the dealer is the most likely to benefit from sales of boats and accessories, taking an active role in such a club only makes sense. Plus it relieves any individual owner of bearing the brunt of any club related work.

Hobie used to have an Island Club manager or department head that worked with dealers and clubs on various aspects of starting and running the clubs. I think they still do, and I know they have an Island Club Facebook page sponsored by Hobie Co.