Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bigger Trimarans?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the F-22 was going to be my choice as well, but if you pay $500 now you go on the waiting list and might get a boat in 2-3 years ...for about AUD$120k+!!!
They are on V3 of their folding system and the improvements are significant by the looks of it. Easier to walk on, mounted higher for less splash and less intrusive into the cabin.
Our big International boat show is on this weekend and I’ve booked a walk thru of the Dragonfly 25. I want to get a close up look at their folding system which is similar to the TI’s, very different from the F22.

Truth be told though, neither the F22 or Dragonfly will do all my TI does. Sure, they are much better sailing boats with a ton of room but they are also much bigger, bulkier, more difficult to rig/launch/sail and way more expensive.
Below are tracks from TI trips I did last week and the week before, that are typical of how I use the TI. They involved sailing/motoring, from the shallowest of water to the open ocean. I dropped the mast on water to go under two bridges to explore the smaller waterways. When I have the time I like to camp on the TI in these narrower waterways. For these reasons the best TI upgrade for me still appears to be the Seascape 18. I just wish I could get a look/demo of one! :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep I saw the huge wait on the F-22. When I was first reading about it they said their goal was to make a cheaper trailertri and were shooting for the 50k mark. Well, I emailed them and the base model starts at 78k and easily hits 100k if you want things like cushions or a folding center board rather than the dagger board. O and now add shipping and taxes...

We are looking at retiring in 7 ish years so my plan will likely be find a used Corsair and wait a few years to find a used F-22 that I can touch and sail before I buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

O yeah I didn’t think about bridges as most of the ones I go under are huge and made for commercial shipping.

Can you take the mast down on the water of the trailertris? I would assume yes but not the easy or fast but doable... man the TI is really in its own league...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Defy wrote:
Yep I saw the huge wait on the F-22. When I was first reading about it they said their goal was to make a cheaper trailertri and were shooting for the 50k mark. Well, I emailed them and the base model starts at 78k and easily hits 100k if you want things like cushions or a folding center board rather than the dagger board. O and now add shipping and taxes...

Interesting - I hadn't emailed for price yet, that is considerably more than the website suggests. Be a few years before the 2nd hand ones come down.
Must be a very small market for boats of that size at that price?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I was a teenager, (many moons ago) my parents had a 30 ft cabin cruiser, (power boat) with full kitchen, shower, bathrooms, fridge, etc, that slept 6 kinda comfortably (most of us were kids). We harbored it on the Mississippi and spent many weekends, and sometimes a week or two on the thing, during the summer. It didn't have air conditioning and was very hot inside during the summer and uncomfortable during July/August. Whenever we stopped, (usually at islands), I would take my sunfish out and go exploring, I also had a several hydroplane racers that I would scoot about in pretty much everyplace we camped, (somethin to do), mostly in backwaters.
Now we live in SW Florida, and the keys, where it is ten times hotter year round, I couldn't imagine sleeping on board even a fairly large boat, (unless it has air conditioning). Sure it's fun to go sailing for an afternoon in a big ole sailboat, (we do it often with friends), but I wouldn't want to have to sleep in it, (not in the keys anyway).
What has really worked out well for us is our RV, (camper), towed behind our truck, we can stay pretty much anywhere we like, (usually near water), and typically spend at least a week at any destination. We cartop our TI, and take it down when we arrive, and typically just park it close by or at our campsite for the week. We go out a couple times a day typically and have a blast. The boat is modified just a little, and can haul 4 adults with ease, and with the outboards which are extremely fuel efficient, (around 80 mpg), we can go out all day for about a buck or two in fuel. We fitted the boat with big sail sets so it has some get up and go when the winds are favorable, but even in light winds (5 mph) we easily maintain and average around 10 mph speeds, giving us about a hundred mile day range, (10 hr x 10 mph = 100 miles per day), which is just about right for the huge Florida keys, or any of the giant lakes across the country, (ie.. great lakes, lake mead, Lake Hartwell, Bull shoals, etc), or oceans, (near shore and intercoastal waterways).
Yea it's a bit of a pain getting the boat up and down, (takes a couple hrs), but we always have to setup the camper and everything else as well when we arrive. If I had a choice I would always trailer the TI, but when traveling the hitch is occupied by the camper, so we are kinda screwed. Our trailer can be broken down into two pieces and I can always throw the trailer in the back of the truck, or strap the trailer to the back of the camper, (though we didn't last year because of weight restrictions). Once we are at the campsite, (for a week or two) it would be pretty easy to store the boat on the trailer, then tow (with the truck) to any launch, and go sailing. From the trailer it takes 15 minutes from backing up to the water to launching, which is acceptable for me. Many times I walked the boat thru campgrounds on a scupper cart , or the trailer down to the lakes and rivers.

Last year we were out and about for about 6 months traveling all around the country with our RV, (we visited as many of the 59 US national parks as we could find). Unfortunately one month in we heavily damaged the boat in high winds, so we had to put it in storage for the remainder of the trip, then picked it back up on our way home. We were also concerned about the zebra muscle bans out west, and also climbing the rockies with the boat on the roof, (our rig was near weight limits), we initially were planning to chance it, but after snapping the mast, and heavily damaging the boat, (too damaged to repair on the road), we continued without it, (boy did I kick myself afterward). Missed out on sailing Bull Shoals, Lake mead, Lake powell, Yellowstone lake, and the 2 beautiful lakes at Glacier. Our original plan was to go around the Michigan UP on the way back, and sail in lake michigan, and lake Huron, (another run out to Mackinac Island), and spend a week in Traverse city, but without the boat we cancelled that leg of the trip.
In years past when out and about traveling around the country, nearly half the time we left all the sails, outboards, AMA's, etc back at our campsite and just used the TI as a kayak to explore rivers to their headwaters, and small lakes, (best kayak we ever owned), and on smaller lakes we would just go out with the basic TI, (no massive sailsets, or outboards), and just explored, all the extras we left back at the campsite.

I'm with Stringy, there is no more versatile boat out there than the TI, maintainence is nothing, we store in our garage for free. And is quite capable if you get caught in rough conditions with the right mods, (all simple).
We have owned 3 of them and have been doin this since 2010 with very few issues, (most of our issues were always self induced).
I just wish Hobie would fully understand the true capabilities of this unique to the industry craft, and begin to exploit it's expanded capabilities, for expert sailers that want more than just a basic entry level recreational boat, (gets boring after 5-6 outings, once you learn the ropes, lol). It's a totally unique market that Hobie themselves invented, (the adventure market), yet they haven't done much with it in 12 yrs, (in my opinion), they could have done so much more.....

This was our rig, (pushed all our buttons for everything we ever wanted).

Post subject: Bigger Trimarans?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah and I think there might be a market for a camper/RV with a 20 foot long storage area!! Hobie should partner with Livin-Lite and make a custom one that holds a TI or two.... hint hint Matt...

If we move away from the coast an RV will be come the priority. I have found a few toy haulers that have 17 ft of garage and you can inch out a few more feet by putting the bow through a door. Only issue we would have is you would have to choose between the side-by-side or the TI. Not both unless you roof top the TI. Also you really couldn’t use the camper till you unloaded the TI (kind of takes the whole space.

Right now I have a 18 foot enclosed trailer that I have an AC for and could probably rig a way for the TI to be enclosed in (might have to take the mast apart).

Ultimately when I retire and stop moving so much I will have both a toy hauler (mainly for the Harley’s) and my trailertri!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jealous? Moi? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (still kept off the water by a diabetic ulcer :oops: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a great rig. Sadly wouldn't fit in the UK though!
I had considered a roof-top tent on my boat trailer as a solution to the touring/camping/sailing, but I would need to shell out for a custom trailer.
Difficult to justify unless I was sure we would keep the same boat for many years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember a small camper that fit under a Hobie on the trailer called Apogee? Around 1985? Only made for a year or two. Basically a pop topper. It would unfold and open into a tiny camper.

Surely today someone could design a puzzle type form that folds open and becomes a small camper.....think origami....or maybe a simple platform type structure that unfolds and you set your tent up on your trailer and off the ground....you would need a trailer that is not tricked out with all kinds of gear boxes and a sail tube.....The SUV roof top tents look good too. :)

Post subject: Bigger Trimarans?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roof top tents sound good until you want to drive into town to get some food... I had and sold one

The over the trailer idea worked pretty well for smaller boats that you don’t have to trailer launch.

But not sure it would work for a folding tri. Things would get tall quick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

^^^ Yes, just like that!
I've already got a Rhino Rack (& bag) fitted on cross-bars over the TI, works well for transporting all the lighter gear, and is only about 3' off the ground.
Much better than reaching on the roof of my tall 4x4.
But the current trailer members are not strong enough to support a heavy roof-tent & occupants.

If commissioning a custom trailer build, I also considered having the lower deck made such that a lightweight road trailer (complete with boat) could be winched aboard, so when parked-up at a campsite I could remove boat & trailer to journey to slips, leaving the remaining rig with tent atop behind.
Then I started thinking that the money spent on that could go a good ways towards a larger boat with small cabin... and so it goes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If one was to convert an H14/16 into a Tri, what would make for a good main hull, and wouldn't the asymmetrical amas preclude the need for a centerboard?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
If one was to convert an H14/16 into a Tri, what would make for a good main hull, and wouldn't the asymmetrical amas preclude the need for a centerboard?

Choice for main hull is problematic since the vaka has to have the design loads from the akas in reinforced locations. And, NO, the asym amas would not preclude the need for a centerboard unless you are willing to point into the wind at 60 degrees or more. I'm not saying you can't do it...it just would be a kluge. That being said, Dick Newick did just that and created the tremolinos which were pretty decent sailing vessels. http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/the-clas ... is-reborn/

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice that would be cool but I think building one out of a Getaway or bigger rig would be better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Nice that would be cool but I think building one out of a Getaway or bigger rig would be better.

I think so too. The skegs on the Getaway will be more effective than asym hulls; but you would need a bigger mast and one with spreaders (maybe the F18 or 21SE). The AKAs should also be something more stiff than thin walled aluminum. I'm not a big fan of plastic hulls, but it makes sense on the amas in a small tri albeit heavy for the volume. But by the time you put the kluge together, you'd have spent as much as getting a SeaRail.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next